Drill? Or go green? I say do both.

Aug 24, 2010
If there is one thing we have learned from the Gulf oil spill, it is this: we have oil. If only we could have found that out another way. The disaster was caused because safety procedures were not followed.

I find it strange that we have two factions on the issue of energy. First we have the "Drill Baby Drill" people that say that drilling for oil is the only answer to our energy needs. Then we have those at the other extreme that say we should stop all drilling today, right now, and go exclusively to solar, wind, nuclear, and coal.

I say both sides are partially wrong. My position is that America needs to use whatever sources it can from inside our borders. That means drill for oil AND use solar, wind, nuclear, and coal. There is no reason it can't be done. This would keep about $800 billion a year in America for American jobs and put a major dent in the wallets of terrorists that hate what this country stands for.

The so-called "Drill Baby Drill" people do in fact believe in a balanced approach to energy policy. The petroleum industry recognises the importance in contributions of renewable and sustainable energy sources. The argument however is for access to drilling acreage and for an economic climate that will allow for much needed capital infusion.

The so-called "Drill Baby Drill" people do in fact believe in a balanced approach to energy policy. The petroleum industry recognises the importance in contributions of renewable and sustainable energy sources. The argument however is for access to drilling acreage and for an economic climate that will allow for much needed capital infusion.

Too much emphasis on drilling is like a junkie looking for different suppliers so he'll never run out. We need to get away from 19th(petroleum) and 20th(nuclear) century technologies and focus mopre of out resources on making fusion power a reality. Keep emphasizing the drilling and spending money to find more and we'll never get over our addiction, until it's too late.

ITER - the way to new energy

Department of Energy - Fusion

Too much emphasis on drilling is like a junkie looking for different suppliers so he'll never run out. We need to get away from 19th(petroleum) and 20th(nuclear) century technologies and focus mopre of out resources on making fusion power a reality. Keep emphasizing the drilling and spending money to find more and we'll never get over our addiction, until it's too late.

There's NOT ENOUGH emphasis on drilling in this country. Congress (and the public) goes out of its way to stifle exploration and production, while other countries encourage it. The result- decreased domestic production, loss of jobs, and ever-increasing imports.

The fact is that hydrocarbon energy will be the predominant fuel well into the future. You can not transition to other fuel sources by shooting yourself in the foot in the name of all that is "green".

There's NOT ENOUGH emphasis on drilling in this country. Congress (and the public) goes out of its way to stifle exploration and production, while other countries encourage it. The result- decreased domestic production, loss of jobs, and ever-increasing imports.

The fact is that hydrocarbon energy will be the predominant fuel well into the future. You can not transition to other fuel sources by shooting yourself in the foot in the name of all that is "green".

That's what all the addicts say. We can't help ourselves. :cool:

I support markets dictating, at the same time I want a clean environment, at the same time yet again, I don't mind seeing other countries resources depleted before we drain our own. Decisions, decisions.

That's what all the addicts say. We can't help ourselves. :cool:

IF we can reduce consumption and demand, then the next step should be reducing IMPORTS of oil and natural gas. NOT domestic production.

But this country has it ass-backwards: the intent is to reduce domestic production and then hope that we can reduce demand by artificially creating markets for green technologies.

Last edited:
I say both as well. We cannot afford to get off oil without an affordable efficient replacement. Our drilling technology and environmental standards (on land) have improved alot, so there's no reason not to for now.

Define "go green".

If by that you mean windmills, solar panels and the usual environmentalist babe-in-the-woods "solutions", I'd like to remind you that none of those "new" technologies are anywhere as "green" as their proponents hold them up to be.

Takes lots of mining, smelting and refining of metals, and lots of industrial lubricants to build and maintain windmills....Ditto solar panels.

Batteries need cadmium, lithium and other heavy metals that aren't exactly environmentally friendly, to mine, refine and turn into battery plates.

So, let's have it...Just how green is "green"?

Define "go green".

If by that you mean windmills, solar panels and the usual environmentalist babe-in-the-woods "solutions", I'd like to remind you that none of those "new" technologies are anywhere as "green" as their proponents hold them up to be.

Takes lots of mining, smelting and refining of metals, and lots of industrial lubricants to build and maintain windmills....Ditto solar panels.

Batteries need cadmium, lithium and other heavy metals that aren't exactly environmentally friendly, to mine, refine and turn into battery plates.

Oh what ever, you can just go down to the store and buy all this stuff.

Heck, you don't even have to leave home to get these things with this magic thing called "the interent" to get them. :eusa_whistle: :lol:

Green energy is a joke. It ALWAYS costs more than you think it will. I work for a solar panel equipment manufacturer. They can't give the damn product away even after discounting it 30% over the past year. Fossil fuel is what runs the world for the foreseeable future. And all the legislation in the world won't change that. You can't legislate scientific breakthoughs, despite our trip to the moon. Enviro-wackos wish for technology that doesn't currently exist.

What a crock. We give the fossil fuel industry far too many subsidies.

Simple fact, we use 25% of the petroleum produces worldwide. We have 3% of the known reserves. And the Hubert Curve is still valid.

Oil shale? Whose water are you going to take? Oil products from coal? How much can the average American pay for oil and fuel, when his income is shrinking? And the price of food is going up because of the effects of AGW?

42% of the new installed electrical production in the US in 2008 was wind. It was probably higher for 2009. And will probably be even higher for 2010. And Solar is starting to come into play as many companies are now producing panels for less than a $1 a watt. Geo-thermal has not become a big player yet, however, the people at MIT seem to think that they can produce power with it far cheaper than dirty coal.

Green energy is a joke. It ALWAYS costs more than you think it will. I work for a solar panel equipment manufacturer. They can't give the damn product away even after discounting it 30% over the past year. Fossil fuel is what runs the world for the foreseeable future. And all the legislation in the world won't change that. You can't legislate scientific breakthoughs, despite our trip to the moon. Enviro-wackos wish for technology that doesn't currently exist.

Then you company needs to die. For First Solar and many others are going gang busters. Perhaps not having an inferior product at a high price would be the way to go.

Define "go green".

Now Oddie, take a look at the table of elements. Do you see where Lithium is?

Let's consider your other dumb ass statements. You mean to tell me it does not take a buttload of mining, smelting, and refining of metals to create coal burning plants and oil refineries? Real stupid statement on your part.

And the coal burning plants, and refineries just continue to put out poisons for the rest of their existance.

Perhaps starting your re-education at about the third grade would bring you up to speed?

I say both as well. We cannot afford to get off oil without an affordable efficient replacement. Our drilling technology and environmental standards (on land) have improved alot, so there's no reason not to for now.

You might consult some people that live in the areas where they are drilling. Something about water?

Ever hear of Evergreen Solar? That's not the company I work for but I know a lot of their former employees. State of Massachusetts gave them $78 million in tax breaks/subsidies... THEY STILL COULDN'T MAKE IT. They're sending the work to China now, huge factory closing. Do you not understand nobody wants this crap? Even the solar companies have given up on the idea of putting solar panels on individual homes, now they want huge expansive acres of areas of panels. It's over, get it? Not going to work.

Texas-Sized Solar: Austin Approves Plan For Largest US Solar Installation

Austin, Texas, is getting closer to its self-imposed goal of using more renewable energy, and creating jobs in the bargain. The Texas-sized solar plant being planned would be the largest in the Unite States, according to Austin Energy.

The Council approved an agreement under which the City's municipally-owned electric utility, Austin Energy, will purchase all of the electricity produced over a 25-year term by a 30 megawatt (MW) solar project to be built on city-owned property located about 20 miles from downtown Austin.

Manufacturers are producing solar modules as fast as they can, but not fast enough to meet demand.

Manufacturers and solar installers say demand for modules is increasing because of low prices, new feed-in tariff programs and greater public awareness. Now, some people are predicting that a module supply shortage could be on the horizon.

“We are starting to see signs that the pendulum is shifting in the direction of less product,” said Andy Noel, Northwest regional manager for REC Solar, which has an office in Portland. “I am not suggesting that (solar module) prices will be going through the roof. But with more demand and less product, prices could go back up.”

Well, Cam, looks like you haven't the faintest idea of what you are talking about.

Solar manufacturers struggle to meet demand Daily Journal of Commerce ? Building and Construction News in Portland, Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

In Oregon, the modules that SolarWorld makes at its Hillsboro facility for large, commercial projects are backlogged until November or December, company spokesman Ben Santarris said.

Sanyo North America Corp., which operates a wafer production plant in Salem, has been back-ordering its product for the past several years, according to Sanyo spokesman Aaron Fowles.

Yeah, you're right. You know all about it. We've had 3 layoffs where I work and I'm expecting a fourth any day now. And that's just in the lousy 2 and half years I've been employed there. Business sucks. That's the fact despite any enviro-wacko propaganda.

What a crock. We give the fossil fuel industry far too many subsidies.

Simple fact, we use 25% of the petroleum produces worldwide. We have 3% of the known reserves. And the Hubert Curve is still valid.

Oil shale? Whose water are you going to take? Oil products from coal? How much can the average American pay for oil and fuel, when his income is shrinking? And the price of food is going up because of the effects of AGW?

42% of the new installed electrical production in the US in 2008 was wind. It was probably higher for 2009. And will probably be even higher for 2010. And Solar is starting to come into play as many companies are now producing panels for less than a $1 a watt. Geo-thermal has not become a big player yet, however, the people at MIT seem to think that they can produce power with it far cheaper than dirty coal.

Yes, I recall your example of "subsidies" from another thread. Something about offshore bank accounts or shadily flagged tankers?

The petroleum industry is afforded tax treatments similar to any other industry. Many provisions have been a part of the tax code since the 1920's. Throughout our economy they are meant to foster investment and growth. To single out hydrocarbons for "punishment" is counterproductive.

You've put forth some fascinating developments in solar technology, all of which I think play an important role - and none of which I would label as a "crock". I was promoting the use of solar as far back as the early 80's. But I was also deeply involved in the petroleum industry as I am today.

Can't you let is stand on it's own merit without browbeating a 175 year old industry?

Forum List

Back