Drill? Or go green? I say do both.

Discussion in 'Energy' started by IndependentBear, Aug 27, 2010.

1. IndependentBear

IndependentBear Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If there is one thing we have learned from the Gulf oil spill, it is this: we have oil. If only we could have found that out another way. The disaster was caused because safety procedures were not followed.

I find it strange that we have two factions on the issue of energy. First we have the "Drill Baby Drill" people that say that drilling for oil is the only answer to our energy needs. Then we have those at the other extreme that say we should stop all drilling today, right now, and go exclusively to solar, wind, nuclear, and coal.

I say both sides are partially wrong. My position is that America needs to use whatever sources it can from inside our borders. That means drill for oil AND use solar, wind, nuclear, and coal. There is no reason it can't be done. This would keep about $800 billion a year in America for American jobs and put a major dent in the wallets of terrorists that hate what this country stands for.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    The so-called "Drill Baby Drill" people do in fact believe in a balanced approach to energy policy. The petroleum industry recognises the importance in contributions of renewable and sustainable energy sources. The argument however is for access to drilling acreage and for an economic climate that will allow for much needed capital infusion.

3. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Too much emphasis on drilling is like a junkie looking for different suppliers so he'll never run out. We need to get away from 19th(petroleum) and 20th(nuclear) century technologies and focus mopre of out resources on making fusion power a reality. Keep emphasizing the drilling and spending money to find more and we'll never get over our addiction, until it's too late.

ITER - the way to new energy

Department of Energy - Fusion

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    There's NOT ENOUGH emphasis on drilling in this country. Congress (and the public) goes out of its way to stifle exploration and production, while other countries encourage it. The result- decreased domestic production, loss of jobs, and ever-increasing imports.

The fact is that hydrocarbon energy will be the predominant fuel well into the future. You can not transition to other fuel sources by shooting yourself in the foot in the name of all that is "green".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    That's what all the addicts say. We can't help ourselves. :cool:

6. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I support markets dictating, at the same time I want a clean environment, at the same time yet again, I don't mind seeing other countries resources depleted before we drain our own. Decisions, decisions.

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    IF we can reduce consumption and demand, then the next step should be reducing IMPORTS of oil and natural gas. NOT domestic production.

But this country has it ass-backwards: the intent is to reduce domestic production and then hope that we can reduce demand by artificially creating markets for green technologies.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I say both as well. We cannot afford to get off oil without an affordable efficient replacement. Our drilling technology and environmental standards (on land) have improved alot, so there's no reason not to for now.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Define "go green".

If by that you mean windmills, solar panels and the usual environmentalist babe-in-the-woods "solutions", I'd like to remind you that none of those "new" technologies are anywhere as "green" as their proponents hold them up to be.

Takes lots of mining, smelting and refining of metals, and lots of industrial lubricants to build and maintain windmills....Ditto solar panels.

Batteries need cadmium, lithium and other heavy metals that aren't exactly environmentally friendly, to mine, refine and turn into battery plates.

So, let's have it...Just how green is "green"?

10. Roamk

Roamk Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh what ever, you can just go down to the store and buy all this stuff.

Heck, you don't even have to leave home to get these things with this magic thing called "the interent" to get them. :eusa_whistle: :lol: