"Drill baby drill"-- Cuba will-- 60 miles off Florida!!

You wrote:
"Just as mountain top removal methods of coal extraction ruin tourist industries in the coal fields of appalachia."
AGAIN with the HYPERBOLE!!!
FACTS: You will deny them but this is the LAW you understand...

"After the coal is removed, the entire site is restored through mine
land reclamation as required in permit specifications. Each MTM site
is uniquely designed, engineered, permitted, operated and reclaimed
in accordance with standards that are defined and regulated under
local, state, and federal laws and regulations, including the 1977 Surface
Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), which requires
final reclamation of the site to create “a level plateau or gently rolling
contour with no highwalls remaining.”
www.nma.org/pdf/fact_sheets/mtm.pdf

Down load the file and look and see FACTS instead of hyperbole!
Your reaction has been so brainwashed by Media that you aren't thinking on your own!

Or water polloution in our streams and lakes ruin the tourist industry for water recreation and fishing.
PROVE IT!!! And it's pollution!

why is fuel just as cheap in FL as in a state that produces and refines oil products?
ONE MAJOR reason is there are several oil transport deepwater PORTS if you took the time to learn!

Don't be one of those mind washed robots for once... THINK...

Attachments

• $Picture 1.jpg
    $Picture 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 40
You wrote:
"Just as mountain top removal methods of coal extraction ruin tourist industries in the coal fields of appalachia."
AGAIN with the HYPERBOLE!!!
FACTS: You will deny them but this is the LAW you understand...

"After the coal is removed, the entire site is restored through mine
land reclamation as required in permit specifications. Each MTM site
is uniquely designed, engineered, permitted, operated and reclaimed
in accordance with standards that are defined and regulated under
local, state, and federal laws and regulations, including the 1977 Surface
Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), which requires
www.nma.org/pdf/fact_sheets/mtm.pdf

Down load the file and look and see FACTS instead of hyperbole!
Your reaction has been so brainwashed by Media that you aren't thinking on your own!

Or water polloution in our streams and lakes ruin the tourist industry for water recreation and fishing.
PROVE IT!!! And it's pollution!

why is fuel just as cheap in FL as in a state that produces and refines oil products?
ONE MAJOR reason is there are several oil transport deepwater PORTS if you took the time to learn!

Don't be one of those mind washed robots for once... THINK...

umm i deal in the reality you deal in the hyperbole on this.
I grew up in Appalachia and saw the streams run totally balck with sludge from the strip mines. I have been on mountaintop removal sites before, during and after the process.

so STFU

btw mind washed robot? Your source is the NMA :D

Last edited:
you are so wrong..1) A spill from 100 or 5,000 feet would crush our tourism industry.

Evidently YOU never dove to 100 feet versus 5,000 ft (which by the way 5,000 is not possible without a submersible).

WHICH was my POINT.. a 100 ft water depth is so easy to contain I'm going to shout!
THERE WOULD BE NO MASSIVE SPILL like there was from the 5,000 FT!
Do you understand the tremendous difference in risk factors???

2) You can spin it all you want-but you can't deny the fact that drilling in the waters up to 10.5ish.. and state's right are NOT the ISSUE!

It is the False premises that you and others keep filling uninformed people with that is KEEPING the billions of royalties and 1,000s of JOBS from Florida's OIL!

You and the other anti-drilling are so dumb about the economics involved!
FACTS: from this site: Florida::Gross Domestic Product & Income
Private Industries $652,509 87.26%
Finance, Insurance & Real Estate $182,776 24.44%
Trade, Transportation & Utilities $139,956 18.72%
Government $95,225 12.74%
Professional & Business Services $87,504 11.70%
Education & Health Services $69,205 9.26%
Leisure & Hospitality $42,674 5.71%
Manufacturing $38,424 5.14%
Construction $33,542 4.49%
Information $31,759 4.25%
Other Services $19,901 2.66%

You wrote"
3) The supply-demand curve is a normal curve when discussing the oil industry. The equilibrium price is driven more by the demand, rather than the supply. You cannot look at oil's price the same way in which you do most goods or services.
Sure... of course you should also look at this...

2) Oil versus Tourism..
On the cost side of the ledger they calculate that it would cost $17 per barrel to produce offshore oil at $50 per barrel and $20 per barrel at $100 per barrel. They incorporate a Minerals Management Service estimate of $700 million as the cost of the environmental damage [PDF] caused by producing 10 billion barrels of oil offshore. They include an estimate of damage caused by greenhouse gases produced by burning the oil as fuel, and the direct costs of local air pollution, and traffic congestion and accidents. So what did they find?
At $100 per barrel, outer continental shelf oil production of 11.5 billion barrels of oil would reap $1.15 trillion in revenues, lower oil prices by $99 billion, and reduce the costs price disruptions by $51 billion, resulting in total benefits of $1.3 trillion. Drilling costs would be $238 billion, environmental costs and greenhouse gas damages would total $2 billion, the costs of local air pollution, traffic congestion, and traffic accidents would be $22 billion, $33 billion, and $38 billion respectively. So the total costs of producing 11.5 billion barrels of offshore oil would be $332 billion. Hahn and Passell calculate that at $100 per barrel, the net benefits of producing offshore oil would come to $967 billion, or a trillion dollars. They note that even if the total costs were doubled in both scenarios, “the qualitative conclusion that resource development passes any plausible benefit–cost test still holds.”
Weighing the Benefits & Costs of Offshore Drilling - Reason Magazine

And Florida's share would be close to $10 to $20/barrel which would make OIL royalties directly adding nearly $300 million a year..which is more than Tourism!

I never claimed to have dived 5,000 feet, I have no idea where you even would suggest that? I merely say there's a difference between state waters and federal waters. And that the federal government has no constitutional right to force a state to change it's laws on their own waters. If you can post something that states otherwise-let's see it.

Would drilling produce jobs? Absolutely-I never denied that. Again you're putting words in my mouth (which weakens your argument). But it risks the jobs of many, many, many more businesses and jobs. Our economy is based on tourism-again it cannot be stressed how much our economy is. It's not just the Orlando area. It's all across the state. We tons tons of money through our state sales tax (which lifts the burden of residents having to pay a state income tax). I don't know about you-but I like not having a state income tax.

It's sad that you want the federal government to violate the constitution. If you support the federal government overthrowing state law, in state waters-then you don't support the Constitution (or at least not when it doesn't support your personal views).

I want you to post one shred of evidence that allows the fed. gov. to do so.

Wasn't it Jeb Bush who blocked oil drilling off the coast of Florida when he was govenor?

you wrote"I grew up in Appalachia and saw the streams run totally balck with sludge from the strip mines. I have been on mountaintop removal sites before, during and after the process."

what is "balck"???

AND you didn't comment at ALL about :
" the 1977 Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), which requires
No did you comment about the "Before" and "After" pictures that showed reclamation!

Yes.. back in 2001 before 9/11, before the $14 trillion national debt!

You naive ignorant people !
When will you wake up and realize our country is the richest in national resources of almost all countries BUT we no longer can afford the idiotic supposedly concern for the environment that frankly has gotten us into the financial morass!

THE USA has over 6 trillion barrels of oil @ $50/barrel that's $300 trillion!
YET we buy 2 billion barrels a year or $100 billion a year!
AND we spend $100 billion in strategic defensive of that imported oil!

YET Obama/Democrats BLOCK all efforts to stop this wasteful spending!

IDIOTS think! If the USA didn't spend $200 billion a year and collected $100 billion a year.. that's $300 billion AVAILABLE to give EVER USA CITIZEN on food stamps of a check at the first of the year $7,500!
AND then we wouldn't have to spend $96 billion on food stamps!
$400 billion a year in savings
$100 from buying foreign oil,
$100 selling 2 billion barrels instead,
$100 billion savings on defense of oil countries, (Saudi Arabia??)
$100 billion in food stamps savings..

total $400 billion and simply
give 40 million Americans at poverty level $10,000 per person or family of 3 ..$30,000!
NO MORE Poverty!!!
WHO works???

you wrote"I grew up in Appalachia and saw the streams run totally balck with sludge from the strip mines. I have been on mountaintop removal sites before, during and after the process."

what is "balck"???

AND you didn't comment at ALL about :
" the 1977 Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), which requires
No did you comment about the "Before" and "After" pictures that showed reclamation!

Forests destroyed and streams polluted in the process and the mountaintop gone forever.
And yes on the "balck" I do suffer from lisdexia.
Must have gotten some mercury.

And I guess you do not realize that many strip mine companies file bankruptcy after they get the coal out to avoid reclamation costs?

then the money men behind the company just start another strip mine company and do it all over again.

And guess who gets stuck with the reclamation costs? It is called extrernalizing costs.

Last edited:
Didn't the Republicans already use this canard about two years ago?

Seriously, they need to get new material. Simply recycling the same old bullshit is getting tiresome.

A question. So when companies want to drill oil in the gulf for the US you and your liberal brethren set yourself on fire in Lafayette Park across the street from the white house. But when Cuba wants to drill off our shore any opposition is a "canard."

The question? Can you spell liberal bitch?

Seriously, they need to get new material. Simply recycling the same old bullshit is getting tiresome.

A question. So when companies want to drill oil in the gulf for the US you and your liberal brethren set yourself on fire in Lafayette Park across the street from the white house. But when Cuba wants to drill off our shore any opposition is a "canard."

Again tell me about the absurdity of.................
boilermaker55
Member #31838 Join Date: Aug 2011

Quote: Originally Posted by healthmyths
You idiots that are SO against "drill baby drill" in U.S.A. waters consider the below if you want Cuba with little or no experience and will enthusiastically control any oil spill of U.S.A. coast!

U.S. officials are trying to make sure the American coastline will be protected as Cuba begins drilling a deep water oil well later this year about 60 miles off the Florida Keys If Repsol's Cuba well, which is in slightly deeper water, experienced a blowout, the well could gush oil into the Straits of Florida, where it would be carried by the Gulfstream currents up the East Coast.

Neither of the two companies that developed capping capability has U.S. government permission to operate in Cuba.

U.S. Will Inspect Cuban Deep Water Oil Well - WSJ.com
Hey think about this and what you are saying drill baby drill rightwing nut.
Quote:Quote: Originally Posted by Lovebears65
Been saying this for months.But the EPA is so far up our asses , says we cant drill because of the environment. So, if Cuba drills there and there is a spill I guess none will go to our shores. The EPA sucks and needs to be reformed bad. I am not saying it should be done away with but they need a huge CUT in their policies.
Boilermaker55:
Perhaps you do not see they hypocrisy in your statement(s).
You are so afraid of Cuba fouling our shores and yet you curse th EPA who prevents oil companies from doing the same thing.
And yet, it is perfectly acceptable by many Americans to let companies move to Mexico and other third world countries because...........wait for it.........they have less EPA type regulations. So they can pollute their countries for American Corporate profits.
A viscious style you have their with money and profits.

With his brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, looking on, President Bush sealed a deal Wednesday to prevent further oil and gas drilling off the white sand beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast and in the cypress swamps near the Everglades.

Jeb Bush acknowledged that the Oval Office announcement would boost his re-election campaign in Florida, the swing state in the 2000 presidential election and a tourism mecca where polls show 75 percent oppose offshore drilling.

The Spokesman-Review.com - Bush prevents oil, gas drilling off Florida coast

let me guess, this is still the fault of libs dems and the epa.......

Last edited:
Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling for First Time - NYTimes.com

The Obama administration is proposing to open vast expanses of water along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska to oil and natural gas drilling, much of it for the first time, officials said Tuesday.

The proposal — a compromise that will please oil companies and domestic drilling advocates but anger some residents of affected states and many environmental organizations — would end a longstanding moratorium on oil exploration along the East Coast from the northern tip of Delaware to the central coast of Florida, covering 167 million acres of ocean.

Somewhat comforting news...

Repsol's Rig To Drill Offshore Cuba Complies With Safety Standards

RIGZONE - Repsol's Rig To Drill Offshore Cuba Complies With Safety Standards

U.S. officials said Monday a rig operated by Spain's Repsol YPF SA that is expected to drill offshore Cuba in the coming months complies with international and U.S. safety standards.

"U.S. personnel found the vessel to generally comply with existing international and U.S. standards by which Repsol has pledged to abide," the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said in the press release. The agency, however, noted that the vessel review "does not confer any form of certification or endorsement under U.S. or international law" and that the U.S. has no legal or regulatory authority over the rig.

How does one stop Cuba from drilling on their own leases?

Anybody wanna buy stock in a Mexican oil rig?...
:eusa_shifty:
Mexican plan for Gulf deepwater wells sparks new worries
Wednesday, 04.04.12 - — Two years after the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history, Mexico's state oil company is about to test its hand at drilling at extraordinary depths in the Gulf of Mexico.
If all goes as planned, Petroleos de Mexico, known as Pemex, will deploy two state-of-the-art drilling platforms in May to an area just south of the maritime boundary with the United States. One rig will sink a well in 9,514 feet of water, while another will drill in 8,316 feet of water, then deeper into the substrata. Pemex has no experience drilling at such depths. Mexico's oil regulator is sounding alarm bells, saying the huge state oil concern is unprepared for a serious deepwater accident or spill. Critics say the company has sharply cut corners on insurance, remiss over potential sky-high liability.

Mexico's plans come two years after the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, the worst oil spill in U.S. history. On April 20, 2010, a semi-submersible rig that the British oil firm BP had contracted to drill a well known as Macondo exploded off the Louisiana coast, killing 11 workers and spewing 4.9 million barrels of oil in the nearly three months it took engineers to stop the spill. BP has said the tab for the spill — including government fines, cleanup costs and compensation — could climb to $42 billion for the company and its contractors.

Pemex's plans to sink even deeper offshore wells underscore Mexico's pressing need to maintain sagging oil production — exports pay for one-third of government operating expenses — along with oil companies' desire to leverage technology and drill at ever more challenging depths. Carlos A. Morales, the chief of the Pemex exploration and production arm, which employs 50,000 people, voiced confidence that his company has to the ability to sink wells in ultra-deep water. "Pemex is ready to undertake the challenge and to do it safely," Morales said in an interview in his 41st-floor office at Pemex headquarters in this capital city. "You have to bear one thing in mind," he said. "Pemex is the biggest operator in the Gulf — including everyone — both in production and in the number of rigs we operate. We are operating more than 80 rigs offshore."

Sometime in May, Morales said, Pemex will move the Singapore-built West Pegasus semi-submersible oil platform, owned by the Norwegian company Seadrill, over a seabed formation known as the Perdido Fold Belt and drill a well named Supremus. At nearly the same time, a South Korea-built platform known as Bicentenario, owned by the Mexican company Grupo R, will drill the slightly shallower Trion well, a little to the west of Supremus. The area where the two wells are to be sunk is some 30 miles south of the maritime boundary in the Gulf between Mexico and the United States. Morales said the rigs are both "sixth generation, which means they are the most modern. They have all the safety devices that rigs should have."

Read more here: Mexican plan for Gulf deepwater wells sparks new worries - World Wires - MiamiHerald.com

So the same stupid obama EPA that has cause the shut down St. Croix refinery a 350,000 barrel /day refinery because the owners at EPA orders had to spend $700 million to meet EPA standards to capture the last 2% of effluence.. this SAME EPA is encouraging Mexican oil disasters by DISCOURAGING Gulf exploration by American companies following stricter guidelines!

Just as stupid as Obama's keystone decision which would mean Canada selling OIL to someone other then USA and shipping via oil tankers... REMEMBER EXXON VALDEZ???

Forum List

Back