"Drill baby drill"-- Cuba will-- 60 miles off Florida!!

Lift the embargo and a drilling we go.
This fiasco started in the early 70s when Ecuador began claiming territorial waters 200 miles out from shore and started seizing American tuna fishing boats. They then demanded extreme fines (which the US government paid). After this went on for a while we agreed to submit the issue to the International Court of Justice at the Hague (Some would rather go ahead and face a firing squad). A complicated mess followed with a United Nations Convention Law of the Sea in 1982 UNCLOS. We are a signatory of that but NOT a ratifying member. It gets even more complicated because of that. Cuba is a ratifying member. UNCLOS was ratified and into force in 1994 and this agreement means that since we are not 200 miles between international borders with Cuba we split it down the middle. Ballast Key, Fla and Los Roncos Cuba is 91.75 apart. Divide that and the zone Cuba can drill to is a little less than 46 miles.
The irony here is that the thugs at BP will not have the clout in Cuba their lobbyists have in DC. Any spills from those wells in Cuba will not go into the gulf, they will enter the gulf stream and hit the outer banks of NC, the favorite spot of American politicians.

No matter how much the right wingers want to we have no control over what other countries do in their sovern territories.
Nor should we. If they cause a problem for us we take it up in the world court or some other legal diplomatic channels.

"World Court" or "other legal diplomatic channels"? Thank you... I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Since when does Cuba listen to the "World Court" or to "other legal diplomatic channels"? The 35 Cubans that they had locked away in prison for little more than speaking out against Castro were in that prison for over 40 years! Did Castro listen when the World Court told him to release them? No, of course not.

You people on the left just absolutely amaze me. You put up a bunch of crap about how we're running out of oil, which is an absolute fabrication and fantasy. You then tell us that it's too expensive to get it out of shale and out of the oil sands. More crap. It's obviously very attainable and now you DEFEND Cuba drilling close to Florida and tell us that if we don't like it, we should take it to the world court.

I'm beginning to believe that you came from "other planets". Because you're obviously not living on the one I am living on...

I'd bomb their oil rigs as a "get the fuck away from us" message.

Obama loves communism so he wont do that.

Is Chavez's oil supply running low???

Weren't you saying he was a Muslim Terrorist loving Commie too?

I'm suprised you haven't accuses him of "Witchcraft"! :lol::lol::lol:

No matter how much the right wingers want to we have no control over what other countries do in their sovern territories.
Nor should we. If they cause a problem for us we take it up in the world court or some other legal diplomatic channels.

We should try to make a deal with them. If they insist on having their companies drill, than we might have oil all over our beaches in Florida, but they are a sovereign nation and it is their choice....

I was on Fla. beaches last June and they already had tarballs......It was just like being home in Texas......

Didn't the Republicans already use this canard about two years ago?

Seriously, they need to get new material. Simply recycling the same old bullshit is getting tiresome.

Yet it still works. Shall we also discuss the money the Obama administration sent to Brazil for them to drill for oil? That was a good one two and we can bring it back.

Yes because diplomatic channels works so well. It has worked especially when we are dealing with dictators.

Didn't the Republicans already use this canard about two years ago?

Seriously, they need to get new material. Simply recycling the same old bullshit is getting tiresome.

Yet it still works. Shall we also discuss the money the Obama administration sent to Brazil for them to drill for oil? That was a good one two and we can bring it back.

Yeah that's a good talking point for the recently brain dead.....

snopes.com: Obama Lends $2 Billion to Brazilian Oil Company

Yes because diplomatic channels works so well. It has worked especially when we are dealing with dictators.
True we usually just rent dictators.

"We?"

You and Nixon?

I LIVE on FL beaches and NATURAL tarballs occur so there is NO way to prove that came from the spill.
But more fundamentally.. tell me where is the greater risk:
5,000 feet or 100 feet?
Duh.. so the MAJOR reason there was a problem was having to go a mile under the water first!
That's why idiot anti-drilling prove their stupidity.. i.e. which is more risky drilling in 100 feet where there is over 2.8 billion barrels in 100 feet or less off Gulf coast!
Plus idiot Floridians so concerned about unsightly rigs? Duh.. it is 7 miles to the horizon where the dept is still under 100 feet!
So no one would see, 2.8 billion at $20/barrel royalty pay Florida over $56 billion but idiot anti-drillers still prevail! Now they will HAVE oil spills and won't get anything from it!

I'd bomb their oil rigs as a "get the fuck away from us" message.

Obama loves communism so he wont do that.

Is Chavez's oil supply running low???

Weren't you saying he was a Muslim Terrorist loving Commie too?

I'm suprised you haven't accuses him of "Witchcraft"! :lol::lol::lol:

I never called Castro a "Muslim terrorist loving commie."

That would be ignorant...

I'll call him an authoritarian communist all day.. He's only in power because Che "Ernesto" Guevara was a totalitarian violent murdering nut..

He is a vegetable now... But his ideas live on, so I really don't feel threatened by him but his brother and his ideas are running the country, and they haven't changed.

Last edited:

"We?"

You and Nixon?

If Nixon was a dictator he would have reined control of the country - there wouldn't have never been Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and the psychopath Obama... No Nixon stepped down....

Not to mention I find it funny how progressives hate Nixon and adore Kennedy considering their anti-war position when it was JFK who really pushed Vietnam and Nixon the Republican ended it...

Once again progressives are backwards ass retards..

Lets also not forget how much Kennedy despised Castro - Kennedy hated Castro so much he actually designed a plan called Operation Northwoods which was a terrorist attack on the US that would be blamed on Castro - hence giving the US a reason to invade Cuba...

Yet Nixon is the bad guy???

And the crewmen on the tankers carrying that oil won't be singing any refrains from "Do you know the way to San Jose..", it'll be Beijing, baby, Beijing. Chicomm oil for Chicomm aircraft carriers, Chicomm landing craft, Chicomm military jeeps, Chicomm jet fighters. Meanwhle, backhome Barry and co will be trying to figure out how to power the F35 Raptor with some surplus Solyndra solar panels.

You do realize that oil drilled by American companies on American soil also goes into the international market, right?

"We?"

You and Nixon?

If Nixon was a dictator he would have reined control of the country - there wouldn't have never been Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and the psychopath Obama... No Nixon stepped down....

Not to mention I find it funny how progressives hate Nixon and adore Kennedy considering their anti-war position when it was JFK who really pushed Vietnam and Nixon the Republican ended it...

Once again progressives are backwards ass retards..

Lets also not forget how much Kennedy despised Castro - Kennedy hated Castro so much he actually designed a plan called Operation Northwoods which was a terrorist attack on the US that would be blamed on Castro - hence giving the US a reason to invade Cuba...

Yet Nixon is the bad guy???

Nixon did create the EPA.
Wage and price freeze.
High inflation.

Last edited:
If there is an oil spill, that oil will never make it to the US shore. Because they are leftists, the oil will behave properly and find it's way into barrels and eventually into the 1950's American cars that fuel the high-tech Cuban economy. They have 100% employment!! Top that you capitalist pigs!!

You wrote" You do realize that oil drilled by American companies on American soil also goes into the international market, right?"

DUH???
You realize that Cushing OK is where West Texas sweet crude determines the highest price for oil on to open market of course.. and that ALL oil prices are in "dollars" and that the whole point of "energy independence"by reducing the 4.2 billion barrels of imported oil.
Increase oil production to replace.. and that with 6 trillion barrels
assuming 75% are recoverable or 4 trillion barrels
Enough oil at rate of 6.2 billion barrels a year for: 600 years!

But if we determined we needed oil for 300 years and exported the rest at $50 / barrel:
The USA could collect in exporting 2 trillion barrels at $50 a barrel
$100 TRILLION!
But of course you are against making money right?
Current status
Annual U.S. oil production 2.002 billion barrels.
Annual U.S. oil imported 4.292 billion barrels
Total USA Oil consumption 6.294 billion barrels.
The Oil Drum | World Oil Capacity to Peak in 2010 Says Petrobras CEO

T. Boone Pickens needs to be listened to.
Doubt you drill happy folks know what he has to say.
We were warned in the mid 70s and had every oppurtunity to change then but all we heard was "drill, drill, drill" and they did.
Demand is the problem. As Bush, AN OIL MAN, correctly stated "we are a nation addicted to oil"
Drilling more here is like giving a crack addict more crack.
T. Boone Pickens. Look it up. Educate thyself.

I doubt you have ever read any of T. Boone's opinions, if you had he is very clear we need to use our domestic fossil fuels, we can not afford the alternatives at this point and time...

Hey... which is safer .. Drilling in 35,000 Feet of water or on dry land?
Here is an even easier question..
Which is easier drilling in 200 feet of water or 5,000 feet?
Known USA reserves: 6.5 Trillion barrels.
2.8 billion in 100 feet or less off Gulf coast
.3 billion in Virginia
10.0 billion in Alaska National Wildlife Reserve (ANWR) Alaska Oil Anwar
If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected.
500.0 billion in Bakken Formation
6,000.0 billion barrels of oil equivalent. America's total oil shale resources

6.513.1 Trillion BARRELS
U.S. HAS MASSIVE OIL

At 60 dollars / barrel.. we have $390 trillion energy independence and we let Cuba drill and tell Brazil we'll be their best customer!
How insane is that?
The best safety technology in the world drilling in less then 100 feet and dry land and
idiots let Cuba drill??? Where are the protests???

To squeeze 100 dollars of oil out of shale, how much does it cost? 200?

Do some research instead of becoming "awed" by fantastic headlines.

deany, there are several shale fields producing today, and the cost are no where near the stupid estimate you give, Bakken, Eagle Ford, even the Barnett Shale has Oil Production, you need to get your head out of Obama's ass so you might know what is happening in the real world, do some research...

China-made drilling rig to be in Cuba by end of 2011

HAVANA -- A Chinese-made oil rig is on schedule to arrive off Cuba and begin drilling before the end of 2011, a spokesman for Spanish oil company Repsol YPF said.

Spokesman Kristian Rix would neither confirm nor deny recent reports of delays as the Scarabeo-9 rig travels to the Caribbean island, but he said the project has always been based on a window of time and things are still on schedule.

Repsol holds the rights to an exploration block off Cuba covering more than 1,700 square miles (nearly 4,500 square kilometers), according to its 2010 annual report. Earlier this year it signed a contract with Italy's Saipem SpA to lease the Scarabeo-9 rig for drilling operations in Cuba.

China-made drilling rig to be in Cuba by end 2011

Forum List

Back