Drill Baby Drill!!! Another Explosion in Gulf. Oil Is King

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Last edited:
An oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Louisiana, WDSU reports. Thirteen workers aboard the rig were reportedly thrown into the water, but have been accounted for.

Update at 11:35 a.m. ET: MSNBC quotes a Coast Guard spokesman as saying all of the workers were wearing protective gear.

That link you have doesnt really support what your claiming. Its just an article stating that BP is about to release a report on the cause of the oil rig explosion

Fox just came on with an announcement that there had been an explosion, no real information concerning what the rig was doing.

Who cares?

An empty oil rig blew up and injured a worker. If we had a national headline for every construction worker who gets injured, that's all we would ever hear about.

Between 2001 and 2010 in the Gulf there have been 858 explosions or fires on oil rigs, 1,349 injuries and 69 deaths per the U.S. Minerals Management Service. So another explosion is not an unsual event. Oil rigs are inherently dangerous and always will be. The deeper they must drill the more dangerous it will get because of the pressures involved, yet without the oil we are seeking what is our future? Wind energy, sea energy, solar energy, and nuclear energy are possible but the costs to the consumer, you and me, are what drives the market. Would you be willing to pay $5.00 a gallon for gas?

Between 2001 and 2010 in the Gulf there have been 858 explosions or fires on oil rigs, 1,349 injuries and 69 deaths per the U.S. Minerals Management Service. So another explosion is not an unsual event. Oil rigs are inherently dangerous and always will be. The deeper they must drill the more dangerous it will get because of the pressures involved, yet without the oil we are seeking what is our future? Wind energy, sea energy, solar energy, and nuclear energy are possible but the costs to the consumer, you and me, are what drives the market. Would you be willing to pay $5.00 a gallon for gas?

Yep its much more dangerous for the workers than it is for the enviroment ... Drilling in the gulf has been 99 percent safe for the enviroment. And the last major incident that did occur has already shown to have a very minor impact.

Breaking news. People in the water. I hope they are all alright.

another oil rig? safety?

One person injured as oil platform explodes in Gulf off Louisiana -

bad news for a day when Deep Horizon cap being looked at...

BP preparing Gulf of Mexico report - UPI.com

Coast Guard says 13 people accounted for

The only problem? This rig was not in use and therefore was NOT DRILLING.

It also is not leaking any oil into the Gulf.

Rick

edited to add: Now it appears that the early reports of it not leaking were wrong. Also, I've read at a couple of places now that the early reports of this being an unused rig were also incorrect. I guess you can't trust any news sources to get their stories straight before reporting untruths.

Last edited:
According to those in the industry, the rig wasn't in the process of producing any oil or gas and there were no fatalities . The odds that any hydrocarbons were released is slight.

After the BP rig I'm surprised there isn't breaking news everytime a worker stubs their fucking tow.

Sure, If my car got 70 miles to the gallon. $5 a gallon is cheap in Europe.

He'll blame Bush, problem solved.

No one blamed Bush for the first one, they blamed BP. Bush's administration, however, IS responsible for the lax oil company cronies appointed to the regulatory positions, though. No doubt about that. So yes, his administration is partially responsible if this is the same kind of thing.

Forum List

Back