Dressing recipes

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
So, what do you have? I'm toying with an Italian sausage dressing. No, it won't be in the bird because that's gross.

Commercial bread "stuffing mix", including the seasoning packet usually included.
1/2 pound each pre-cooked pork sausage and lean beef hamburg
Shredded meat off boiled turkey neck, chopped bits of turkey heart (leave out the liver - it makes things bitter)
1 can sliced water chestnuts
Not necessary to pre-heat oven but you may wish to in order to minimize cooking time.
This recipe will make a hell of a lot of stuffing so have a suitable Pyrex (or similar) dish at hand to take the excess. If you don't have room in the oven for turkey and stuffing dish be sure to get the excess stuffing into refrigeration quickly - it'll grown stuff quicker'n you can imagine.

1 can sliced mushroom (small)
1 can mandarin peeled orange slices (small)
chopped onion to taste
finely chopped celery to taste
Use the liquid from all of the above for moistening
Use the liquid in which you pre-boiled the turkey neck/heart for more moistening
(boil in more water than you think needed so you'll have enough)
Pepper to taste
Salt - just a touch
few drops "Kitchen Boquet" or similar for the darkening
Knead together thoroughly by hand
Stuff turkey-lace shut.

Hint: It's tough to buy those steel pins used to secure the various flaps on the turkey. I made a new set this year - bought two packages of stainless steel shishkebob skewers, cut each in half, curled the cut ends to all had loops at the top and then sharpened the unpointed cutoffs on a grinding wheel.

Hint: If you don't have butcher string you can buy cotton string in most supermarket stationary departments. Beware string with any plastic content. If it doesn't catch fire it will, at least, melt and foul some of the meat.

With turkey on a rack in the roasting pan put tap water int he bottom to prevent initial sticking.
Wrap the upper surface of the legs in foil to prevent overcooking
Melt 1/2 pound unsalted butter; pour over turkey
Wrap turkey in a clean white cotton cloth (cheap dish towels work well)
With another 1/2 pound (or more) unsalted butter saturate the cloth.
Roast at 350 degrees according to time/weight table usually on the turkey container
At 1 hour intervals (at first) re-saturate the cloth with melted butter. After about 3 hours
reduce the itnerval to about 30-minutes.
1/2 hour before the projected "done" time remove the cloth and foil and finish. Some like to turn the oven up to 400 or higher for the last few minutes

EXTREME CAUTION

Make sure the oven rack is set low enough that the turkey is nowhere near the upper heating element. It won't be used most of the time but often both upper and lower elements are on as the oven first heats. You do not want an oven fire!

Hint: It's tough to buy those steel pins used to secure the various flaps on the turkey. I made a new set this year - bought two packages of stainless steel shishkebob skewers, cut each in half, curled the cut ends to all had loops at the top and then sharpened the unpointed cutoffs on a grinding wheel.

That is awesome.

That is awesome.

I have been using shish kebob pins (the fairly small ones with the TWIST configuration) to close the little behind and the top hole of the turkey for YEARS.-----my mom used to do it with needle and butchers string. SHEEEESH must you guys have DEDICATED sticks?------safety pins are good too

Forum List

Back