Dreams from his Father: Obama as Petulant Anticolonialist

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
interesting read..links in article.

SNIP:
On the eve of the 2008 election, veteran newsman Tom Brokaw famously declared that we don’t know Barack Obama. The astonishing admission occurred during a discussion on the Charlie Rose Show, and fellow veteran newsman Charlie Rose agreed wholeheartedly with Brokaw’s admitted ignorance of the man they both wanted to see elected to the most powerful office on earth:

Shortly after the election, CNN’s Jonathan Mann wrote that Americans “are putting a lot of faith in a man they barely know.” This was true and, perhaps unintentionally, quite a powerful indictment of his employer.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMas1bVidw&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Brokaw and Rose Admit They Don't Know Much About Obama.[/ame]

Shortly after the election, CNN’s Jonathan Mann wrote that Americans “are putting a lot of faith in a man they barely know.” This was true and, perhaps unintentionally, quite a powerful indictment of his employer.

The idea of Tom Brokaw, former anchor of one of the Big Three nightly newscasts and one of America’s most prolific news anchors, a man steeped in American politics for decades on end, declaring that “we don’t understand the universe” of Obama’s thinking was incredible at the time. We had by then come to know of Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his peculiar race-centric Chicago church. We had by then come to know of Obama’s relationship with William Ayers, the unrepentant 1960s radical terrorist who had openly lamented that he and his ilk hadn’t committed enough violence against America to end the Vietnam war. We had, by November 2008, already come to know of Obama’s past work with ACORN, the corrupt community organizing group, and we already knew that he planned to continue and elevate ACORN’s work as president. Those of us who paid close attention knew that in his books Obama himself had confessed to associating with the radicals and Marxists on campus during his college days. We already knew all of this, yet Brokaw, Rose, and Mann were to some extent right to say that we still didn’t really know the universe of Obama’s thinking.

Nearly 20 months into the Obama presidency, it’s finally becoming clear just how little about Obama we and the media that covered him really understood about him. Fifty-two percent of America elected a dream, but they didn’t know whose dream they were putting in the White House or what sort of personality would drive that dream.

the rest and comments.
Pajamas Media Dreams from his Father: Obama as Petulant Anticolonialist

Only REPUBLICANS could envision any benefits to colonialism.....
249.gif

"In 1945, the Democratic Republic of Vietnam was formed with Ho Chi Minh as the first President. American planes flew over Hanoi in celebration of the founding. The Vietnamese Declaration of Independence echoed that of the U.S.: "All men are created equal. They are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...This immortal statement is extracted from the Declaration of Independence of the United States of America in 1776. Understood in the broader sense this means: All people on earth are born equal. Every person has the right to live, to be happy, and free."

Ho Chi Minh asked the Americans to honor their commitment to independence, citing the Atlantic Charter and the U.N. Charter on self-determination. However, by the end of the war, the U.S. government had begun to redirect its foreign policy from the wartime goal of the liberation of all occupied countries and colonies to the postwar anti-communist crusade, which became the Cold War.
In France, where communists had led the resistance to the Nazi occupation, American policy supported General Charles de Gaulle and his anti-communist "Free French." De Gaulle aimed to restore the glory of France, which meant the return of all former French colonies. U.S. relations with the Vietnamese turned sour. President Truman refused to answer letters or cables from Ho. Instead, the U.S. began to ship military aid to the French forces in Indochina."

Yeah.....whatta great talking-point, Republicans.......Pro-Colonialism.

:cuckoo:

Only REPUBLICANS could envision any benefits to colonialism.....
249.gif

"In 1945, the Democratic Republic of Vietnam was formed with Ho Chi Minh as the first President. American planes flew over Hanoi in celebration of the founding. The Vietnamese Declaration of Independence echoed that of the U.S.: "All men are created equal. They are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...This immortal statement is extracted from the Declaration of Independence of the United States of America in 1776. Understood in the broader sense this means: All people on earth are born equal. Every person has the right to live, to be happy, and free."

Ho Chi Minh asked the Americans to honor their commitment to independence, citing the Atlantic Charter and the U.N. Charter on self-determination. However, by the end of the war, the U.S. government had begun to redirect its foreign policy from the wartime goal of the liberation of all occupied countries and colonies to the postwar anti-communist crusade, which became the Cold War.
In France, where communists had led the resistance to the Nazi occupation, American policy supported General Charles de Gaulle and his anti-communist "Free French." De Gaulle aimed to restore the glory of France, which meant the return of all former French colonies. U.S. relations with the Vietnamese turned sour. President Truman refused to answer letters or cables from Ho. Instead, the U.S. began to ship military aid to the French forces in Indochina."

Yeah.....whatta great talking-point, Republicans.......Pro-Colonialism.

:cuckoo:

you are one priceless nut job.what the hell does this article have TO DO WITH Republicans?..:cuckoo:

Yeah, Brokaw, someone should have investigated Obama, talked with his friends and mentors and reported back to us, and I mean someone besides Sean Hannity who seemed to be the only person doing just that

What did we know about Bush before he was elected? I mean it's not like Obama appeared out of thin air. He was an Illinois state senator, then a U.S. senator. I still contend that the only way someone could keep saying "we don't know enough about this guy" is through willful ignorance.

Yeah, Brokaw, someone should have investigated Obama, talked with his friends and mentors and reported back to us, and I mean someone besides Sean Hannity who seemed to be the only person doing just that

Sean Hannity was going on a witch hunt. That's not proper investigation.:cuckoo:

Hannity was the first guy to report on the TUCC videos and let us know about Obama's Spiritual Mentor Rev Jeremiah Goddamn America Wright

How is that a Witch Hunt?

Create doubt when you have no other arguement. That is the way of small minds.

Our President has had some very real successes in his first two years in office. The Repukes want us to forget that, for they fought every single good thing done, including the New GI Bill.

Next, Stephanie and Frank will be trotting out the Birth Certificate arguement.

What did we know about Bush before he was elected? I mean it's not like Obama appeared out of thin air. He was an Illinois state senator, then a U.S. senator. I still contend that the only way someone could keep saying "we don't know enough about this guy" is through willful ignorance.

BS, hardly ANYBODY had heard the name Obama until he became a Junior Senator of TWO YEARS and then started running for President.. Before that he was a lowly State Senator from one of the most corrupted state governments in this country, Illinois

Obama Successes:

Our first Trillion dollar deficit

Our AAA credit rating imperiled

Nationalized our auto companies, health care and banks

and we're still almost 10% unemployed after spending $850 Billion

BS, hardly ANYBODY had heard the name Obama until he became a Junior Senator of TWO YEARS and then started running for President.. Before that he was a lowly State Senator from one of the most corrupted state governments in this country, Illinois

The only reason people were vaguely familiar with G.W. Bush on a national level is because his father was a former president. Name recognition. Can you honestly say you knew anything about Dubya before he appeared on the national scene?
I have the feeling I'm about to get a dishonest answer to my question.:lol:

The only reason people were vaguely familiar with G.W. Bush on a national level is because his father was a former president. Name recognition. Can you honestly say you knew anything about Dubya before he appeared on the national scene?

good grief...Eva heard of the STATE OF TEXAS?

Hannity was the first guy to report on the TUCC videos and let us know about Obama's Spiritual Mentor Rev Jeremiah Goddamn America Wright

How is that a Witch Hunt?

Rev. Wright has said a few things that are over the top. Hardly the first preacher to do so, and in no way has matched Pat Robertson for such statements. He also has an exemplary record in his service to this nation, something Roberson, or even Bush Jr., does not have.

Jeremiah Wright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From 1959 to 1961, Wright attended Virginia Union University,[2] in Richmond and is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated, Zeta Chapter. In 1961 Wright left college and joined the United States Marine Corps and became part of the 2nd Marine Division attaining the rank of private first class. In 1963, after two years of service, Wright joined the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.[12][13] Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House Physician, Vice Admiral Burkley, personally wrote Wright a letter of thanks on behalf of the United States President.[14][15][16]

Does your service record equal that, Frank?

Obama Successes:

Which didn't take much, considering the near-trillion he inherited from Bush.
The moon went out of orbit because of Obama...:eusa_whistle:
Not all of the auto companies. On that note, people would be bitching tenfold if he had let them go under. Same with the banks. Healthcare is a different issue.
Imagine how much worse the unemployment rate would otherwise have been.:lol::eusa_whistle:

Obama Successes:

Our President, Barak Obama, prevented the Second Great Republican Depression. Of course the Neo-cons hate him for that.

Ad hominem.

Ever heard of the STATE OF ILLINOIS? It's not some backwater state of no consequence. So unless you had your head in a hole somewhere, you would have had some sort of familiarity with Barack Obama before he ran for president.:cuckoo:

Our President has had some very real successes in his first two years in office. The Repukes want us to forget that, for they fought every single good thing done, including the New GI Bill.

Talk about trying to derail a thread from the subject it is about.
and I'd say the polls showing the Obama in the 40% approval rating with the Amercian people in JUST TWO YEARS isn't showing, SOME VERY REAL SUCCESSES.

Ad hominem.

Ever heard of the STATE OF ILLINOIS? It's not some backwater state of no consequence. So unless you had your head in a hole somewhere, you would have had some sort of familiarity with Barack Obama before he ran for president.:cuckoo:

She's a Conservative, that is the normal place for their heads.:razz:

Talk about trying to derail a thread from the subject it is about.
and I'd say the polls showing the Obama in the 40% approval rating with the Amercian people in JUST TWO YEARS isn't showing, SOME VERY REAL SUCCESSES.

I would say that given the circumstances and the shit pile inherited from the Republicans, that is a pretty high rating.

Our President's chief mistake is trying to work with the Republicans. He should have take the Lyndon Johnson approach just as soon as the Repukes made it known that they were going to stonewall him on every single item. You don't deal nice with unnice people.

Forum List

Back