Dreamliner First Flight

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
SEATTLE, Dec 15 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) is set to make the first test flight of its 787 Dreamliner on Tuesday, almost two and a half years after the new, fuel-efficient plane, which is key to the company's financial future, was supposed to fly.

The lightweight carbon and titanium plane, promising to save airlines million of dollars in fuel and maintenance costs, has been hampered by a shortage of bolts, faulty design and a two-month strike, and it still has a long way to go before it proves to be a success.

"It (the first flight) will provide a badly needed perception that the program is on some kind of schedule again," said Richard Aboulafia, aerospace analyst at research firm Teal Group. "But it's still a long way from the ultimate result."

UPDATE 2-Boeing set for first flight of 787 | Reuters

This aircraft represents what is best in American innovation and has many features that airlines need. It is a long awaited first light Godspeed !!! 787!!

070626_dreamliner_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg

One more thing of note here, I had the chance to see on Fox news a story on the 787 and want everyone to take notice of the aircraft that is on the taxiway they are showing in the video if the story runs again. That aircraft is a 737 and even has the aircraft type painted on the nose it is NOT a 787 which is a much bigger aircraft.

SEATTLE, Dec 15 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) is set to make the first test flight of its 787 Dreamliner on Tuesday, almost two and a half years after the new, fuel-efficient plane, which is key to the company's financial future, was supposed to fly.

The lightweight carbon and titanium plane, promising to save airlines million of dollars in fuel and maintenance costs, has been hampered by a shortage of bolts, faulty design and a two-month strike, and it still has a long way to go before it proves to be a success.

"It (the first flight) will provide a badly needed perception that the program is on some kind of schedule again," said Richard Aboulafia, aerospace analyst at research firm Teal Group. "But it's still a long way from the ultimate result."

UPDATE 2-Boeing set for first flight of 787 | Reuters

This aircraft represents what is best in American innovation and has many features that airlines need. It is a long awaited first light Godspeed !!! 787!!

070626_dreamliner_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg
My cousin actually helped designed some of the parts on the plane, he is an engineer at Boeing. This plane has kind of been a thorn in their side.:razz:

I understand Luissa that the 787 has been a bit of a problem child , but you know what a lot of people seem to misunderstand here and I'm sure your cousin will tell you the same thing and that is the 787 is not your upgraded standard commercial aircraft. It is a revolution in commercial aviation and as such it's not surprising that with all the issues that Boeing has been faced with since the first roll-out that it would face longer delays than a normal aircraft of this type. In fact the FAA required Boeing because for the most part it is an all composite aircraft to test this aircraft beyond normal testing procedures in order to meets it's cert. requirements. What people saw today when the 787 lifted off the ground was a leap forward in commercial aviation and especially for this nation, your cousin has my deep admiration for a job well done and speaking as an old aviator, they would not have to ask me twice to fly that aircraft. *laughs* As for the jobs situation, the good thing about this aircraft , now that it is in the air Boeing can move forward with production and that means jobs for many years to come. If you cannot tell I am a fan of American aviation and as such Boeing has my complete support.

Well it about time, considering that this plain has been delayed for like three or five years now.
I hope it sells for Boeing. I hear a lot of Airlines have placed orders for this Dreamliner.

I understand Luissa that the 787 has been a bit of a problem child , but you know what a lot of people seem to misunderstand here and I'm sure your cousin will tell you the same thing and that is the 787 is not your upgraded standard commercial aircraft. It is a revolution in commercial aviation and as such it's not surprising that with all the issues that Boeing has been faced with since the first roll-out that it would face longer delays than a normal aircraft of this type. In fact the FAA required Boeing because for the most part it is an all composite aircraft to test this aircraft beyond normal testing procedures in order to meets it's cert. requirements. What people saw today when the 787 lifted off the ground was a leap forward in commercial aviation and especially for this nation, your cousin has my deep admiration for a job well done and speaking as an old aviator, they would not have to ask me twice to fly that aircraft. *laughs* As for the jobs situation, the good thing about this aircraft , now that it is in the air Boeing can move forward with production and that means jobs for many years to come. If you cannot tell I am a fan of American aviation and as such Boeing has my complete support.

You might already know this, but the reason it is the 787 is because 8 is good luck in Japan.
I will have to ask my cousin more about the plane for ya, and what he actually helped designed.:razz:

Luissa, please ask your cousin if it may have been an issue with the actual manufacturing process of the composite material. I don't think it's ever been done on this scale before.
I saw it today on the television. What a beauty. Some serious dihedral on the wings at landing. Wonder what the useful fuel load on her is.
If everything went right in my life I would be a skipper on one of those birds in the near future.

Okay this is largely a matter of not just an entirely new aircraft design new engines and the whole nine yards but completely new soft ware, computers, and everything else. Delays are inevitable on any project of this magnitude and frankly I'd a lot rather they be safe than put a plane in the air that is as dangerous to fly as your standard Airbus product.

Sure is a cool looking plane. However I don't fly simple because it cost to much. Maybe my new president can make it more affordable for me to fly more often. I mean come on, shouldn't everybody be able to afford to visit a relative who lives far away?

The 787 Dreamliner will offer passengers a better flying experience and provide airline operators greater efficiency to better serve the point-to-point routes and additional frequencies passengers prefer. The technologically-advanced 787 will use 20 percent less fuel than today's airplanes of comparable size, provide airlines with up to 45 percent more cargo revenue capacity and present passengers with innovations that include a new interior environment with cleaner air, larger windows, more stowage space, improved lighting and other passenger-preferred conveniences.

Fifty-five customers around the world have ordered 840 787s, making the 787 Dreamliner the fastest-selling new commercial jetliner in history.
Boeing 787 Dreamliner Completes First Flight - Dec 15, 2009

These are the sorts of STIMULUS programs our Govt should be promoting, 840 aircraft means a LOT of real American jobs, including those powered by GE GEnX Engines and components for the Rolls Royce Trent Engines. All those who say this nation does not have the ability to look forward, only need to see this aircraft to know that.

Forum List

Back