Dream act

DREAM ACT

• Total voters
  • Banned
What's to prevent someone from lying about who they are and how long they've bee here to join the service and gain citizenship? Even citizens are no longer able to join the service as an alternative to jail time- why should those who are here illegally be given an opportunity to evade our laws when our own citizens are denied such opportunities to clear their records and start anew as productive members of society?

I cannot justify giving illegals preference over our own citizens.

I vote nay.

I can't see rewarding someone for being here illegally, no matter what the circumstances were on how you got here. To give an illegal alien benefits that our own legal, native born citizens don't have is utter insanity.

We already have had 7 amnesties since 1986. Amnesties just encourage even more illegal immigration.

WHAT IS INSANITY?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens.

CALL YOUR SENATORS AND TELL THEM NO! THE SENATE IS SCHEDULED TO VOTE ON THE DREAM ACT ON WEDNESDAY.

TOLL FREE NUMBER TO CAPITAL SWITHBOARD 1-877-210-5351

What's to prevent someone from lying about who they are and how long they've bee here to join the service and gain citizenship? Even citizens are no longer able to join the service as an alternative to jail time- why should those who are here illegally be given an opportunity to evade our laws when our own citizens are denied such opportunities to clear their records and start anew as productive members of society?

I cannot justify giving illegals preference over our own citizens.

I vote nay.
If they lie on their application they could be subject to immediate deportation. Since they have to graduate from a US high school, it would be pretty easy to gather information.

For the most, these kids were brought to this country by their parents. I don't see why we should penalize them for the actions of their parents.

I have never understood the reason why so many people oppose the bill. It certainly is no incentive to the enter the country illegally since it only applies to those who have been in the US 5 years prior to enactment of the bill. The applicants don't get any support from the government. In fact, the CBO rating of the bill shows it will actually reduce the deficit 4 million a year.

There are lot pluses in this bill. First the applicant must pay a fee of $525 fee. If they meet the qualifications, then they are documented. College tuition being what it is, most applicants will probably enter military service instead of completing college. The bill makes it possible for the applicant to contribute to society rather than be drain on society.

• Banned
I have never understood the reason why so many people oppose the bill

I believe I explained my position clearly in the post you quoted. I suspect many others share the same concerns. Also, this continues a pattern of amnesty which encourages illegal entry into our nation as there is every reason to believe your turn at amnesty and reward will come.

There are many, many reasons why this bill sucks, but my biggest concern is that American students will lose spots and scholarships as liberal colleges seek to increase their "diversity rates". It's difficult enough for an average American middle class kid to attend a good college. This will add insult to injury.

Rewarding bad behavior. What a horrible message to send to young people.

(1) entered the United States before his or her 16th birthday and has been present in the United States for at least five years immediately preceding this Act's enactment;

Nope.

Not young enough, not long enough.

A person who entered the USA before 8 years old, and have lived here at least ten years ect ect ect...

The above would be my minimum candidate for this kind of dream act.

Alternatively, anybody who honorably served in the US military (I think 4 years sounds about right) ought to be elible for citizenship.

I'm not for it either.

These folks, no matter the reason, are here illegally.

There should be consequences not rewards for breaking our laws.

The Dream Act?? Nothing but another giveaway to illegals.

BTW - Colleges and tech schools do not deny anyone an education. They just have to pay non residence tuition just like many American kids. We are paying double to send our son to a PA school. Its bullshit.

I believe I explained my position clearly in the post you quoted. I suspect many others share the same concerns. Also, this continues a pattern of amnesty which encourages illegal entry into our nation as there is every reason to believe your turn at amnesty and reward will come.
Amnesty is a pardon for committing an offense. Since the beneficiaries of the act were brought here as children, I don't consider this amnesty. It is the parents that violated the law not the children. It makes no sense to punish the children for the actions of their parents unless you believe the children are responsible for the sins of the parents.

Amnesty is a pardon for committing an offense. Since the beneficiaries of the act were brought here as children, I don't consider this amnesty. It is the parents that violated the law not the children. It makes no sense to punish the children for the actions of their parents unless you believe the children are responsible for the sins of the parents.

It makes even less sense to reward them for the offense of their parents. Reward them and here come more parents with more "innocent" children. Just stop it now.

It makes even less sense to reward them for the offense of their parents. Reward them and here come more parents with more "innocent" children. Just stop it now.
We are not creating a reward but rather an opportunity for these kids to serve the country and to make something of themselves.

The vast majority of Illegals from Mexico come to this country to find work and eventually return home. Those that find steady work remain. They are not coming to the US in hope that someday Congress will grant amnesty. There is no data to suggest that amnesty has ever been the reason for illegal immigration.

(1) entered the United States before his or her 16th birthday and has been present in the United States for at least five years immediately preceding this Act's enactment;

Nope.

Not young enough, not long enough.

A person who entered the USA before 8 years old, and have lived here at least ten years ect ect ect...

The above would be my minimum candidate for this kind of dream act.

Alternatively, anybody who honorably served in the US military (I think 4 years sounds about right) ought to be elible for citizenship.

My minimum requirement for amnesty, come here legally.

When someone advocates putting newborns in prisons because their mommas hopped the fence, you'll have a point.

Until then...

BTW - Colleges and tech schools do not deny anyone an education. They just have to pay non residence tuition just like many American kids. We are paying double to send our son to a PA school. Its bullshit.

Well that's colleges for you when it comes to in-state and out-of-state tuition. Has nothing to do with immigration.

So you believe in rewarding the children for the illegal acts of their parents???

So you believe in rewarding the children for the illegal acts of their parents???

the children did not commit an offence, do you believe in holding children responsible for crimes of their fathers?

Forum List

Back