Draft-dodging NY governor wants deferment for son

G

Gabriella84

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_175090525.html

1010 WINS) (ALBANY) Gov. George Pataki said Thursday his eldest son, Teddy, is about to be commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps, but hopes to get a deferment to attend law school.

"But once you take the oath and swear the oath, it's up to the Marines at that point," the Republican governor said, adding that his son would be sworn in on Saturday, the day after his father turns 60.

Pataki said that if his son was not granted a deferment and is sent to Iraq, "I think I would feel the way every parent feels, which is tremendous pride in the courage and the patriotism of your child, along with the appropriate concern whenever any of our loved ones are placed in harm's way."

The governor said he hopes his son gets a deferment, which would allow him to spend three years in law school and then four years on active duty with the Marines.

Teddy Pataki just graduated from Yale University, his father's alma mater.

The governor, who went on to Columbia Law School, did not serve in the military.
He said he had a medical deferment during the Vietnam War because of poor eyesight. :laugh:

Gabriella84 said:
http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_175090525.html

1010 WINS) (ALBANY) Gov. George Pataki said Thursday his eldest son, Teddy, is about to be commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps, but hopes to get a deferment to attend law school.

"But once you take the oath and swear the oath, it's up to the Marines at that point," the Republican governor said, adding that his son would be sworn in on Saturday, the day after his father turns 60.

Pataki said that if his son was not granted a deferment and is sent to Iraq, "I think I would feel the way every parent feels, which is tremendous pride in the courage and the patriotism of your child, along with the appropriate concern whenever any of our loved ones are placed in harm's way."

The governor said he hopes his son gets a deferment, which would allow him to spend three years in law school and then four years on active duty with the Marines.

Teddy Pataki just graduated from Yale University, his father's alma mater.

The governor, who went on to Columbia Law School, did not serve in the military.
He said he had a medical deferment during the Vietnam War because of poor eyesight. :laugh:

Ok, you are just enlightening us? Or you have a purpose with this?

Both.
I thought it was humorous. Plus, I wanted to prove that Bush wasn't the only Republican politician who avoided active service during Viet Nam.

Gabriella84 said:
Both.
I thought it was humorous. Plus, I wanted to prove that Bush wasn't the only Republican politician who avoided active service during Viet Nam.
He served, which is more than you can provide on your side of the aisle. :fifty:

He was not draftable because of poor eye sight. How does that make him a draft dodger? My brother was not draftable because of a punchered ear drum.

For your information all males of draft age were taken in for a physical before they were even put into the draft pool. 1-A was eligable for the draft. 4-F was ineligable. There were other catagories for deferments or hardship. A deferment simply meant you could get called at a later date. They were not nearly as picky back then but they still demanded physically fit men.

My parents proudly served -- in the streets.
They were among the millions of dissatified Americans that helped "convince" the idiot politicians to cut their losses in Viet Nam and get out.

I am proud to carry on the family tradition, and hope for the same result. :salute:

Gabriella84 said:
They were among the millions of dissatified Americans that helped "convince" the idiot politicians to cut their losses in Viet Nam and get out.

I am proud to carry on the family tradition, and hope for the same result. :salute:
Yeah we know, now they are on the no fly list. Vietnam is over, so now what?

So now we work on ending the current unjust and illegal war. And depose those responsible for authorizing and profiting from it.

Gabriella84 said:
So now we work on ending the current unjust and illegal war. And depose those responsible for authorizing and profiting from it.
And that is whom? Links please.

Gabriella84 said:

Nice. All ready to relive the glory days when you caused America to actually lose a war, eh? Hey, maybe you'll get real lucky and another Khmer Rouge type regime will spring up and kill another few million! Awesome! That one third of Cambodia, you know, the ones who all died as a DIRECT result of America's pullout, they probly all deserved it anyway. I hope mommy and daddy are proud. Again, as a direct result of their actions:

--Vietnam is now a Communist dictatorship
--2 million Cambodians were slaughtered
--America (in case you forgot, that's where you live) was humiliated
--thousands of American soldiers, in effect, died in vain. And not because of the politicians, but because of people like you. The soldiers could have won. The Vietcong had no hope of defeating America militarily. They could only depend on anti-American bozos to defeat America, which they did.

Can you tell me ONE GOOD THING that came out of America losing Vietnam?

And while you got my blood pressure up, wtf is with the flag emoticon? You just said you wish for this country to LOSE. You have absolutely no shame.

Gabriella84 said:

Both of my parents served during the Vietnam War, my dad was originally drafted, and then joined the air force; my mom volunteered for the Air force, both served the country for many years during that time. My question to you is, if your parents were so successful at ending the war, why was the Vietnam War the longest war in US history?

Also my best friend lost his father when he was seven from a sickness that his dad was infected by when he was serving over there. If my friend can still be patriotic and support the troops, so can you.

Gabriella84 said:

Your parents lied to you, they did nothing but contribute to the downward spiral of America since Vietnam. They are nothing more than responsibility dodging losers who should be ashamed to still be calling American soil their home.

But at least your parents knew what they were protesting, these losers I see protesting in D.C. haven't a fucking clue what they are doing, just a bunch of young punks drunk and looking to fight the police because ITS COOL MAN! Hell you see one of these things and there are at least a 100 different subjects being addressed by the protesters and most of them are so fucking conspiratorial bizzarre to be laughable.

Gabriella84 said:

Never happen since your accusations are wrong to begin with, keep up that utopia your parents told you about though!

Markainion said:
Both of my parents served during the Vietnam War, my dad was originally drafted, and then joined the air force; my mom volunteered for the Air force, both served the country for many years during that time. My question to you is, if your parents were so successful at ending the war, why was the Vietnam War the longest war in US history?

Also my best friend lost his father when he was seven from a sickness that his dad was infected by when he was serving over there. If my friend can still be patriotic and support the troops, so can you.

Markanion the Vietnam protesters had little if anything to do with ending the Vietnam war or the success of it. The fact is the war was run into the ground because of micromanagement from the oval office. Its a fantasy and historical revision of drugged out hippies that lead people to believe that protesters to believe they were responsible. The reason Gabby's parents tell her this is because it makes them feel better for betraying their country.

Gabriella84 said:

There's a name for offspring like you: red diaper doper babies

If you want to know what it means, read Michael Savage.

Gabriella84 said:

So your father was a draft dodging loser and your mother a follow along. I see nothing to be proud of there. Those are exactly the kind of people I have dispised for almost 40 years.

The war didn't end because of your silly parents it ended because Nixon bombed the shit out of N. Vietnam and finally drove them to the bargaining table. That's real history, not your revisionist make beieve shit.

A second war then broke out when the north invaded the south two years after the peace agreement. Our wonderful liberal congress voted not to give any funding or suport to the south vietnamese. Without supplies they were quickly overwhelmed. That's real history again, something you will never be taught at berkley. Liberals are communist under a different name is all.

Gabriella84 said:

Were your parents among those who greeded our returning soldiers with cries and screams of "Baby-Killers" and spat at them as they walked down the street?

If they were, please have the decency to lie and say they weren't.

If they were, this is not something to be proud of.

All full-time college students in good standing and regular attendance were exempt from military service. It wasn't draft dodging. Neither of my parents were drafted.

All of the negatives drawn from the Viet Nam war were the result of the United States being there unlawfully in the first place. As though who are willing to read know, Viet Nam was the first "prime time" war. The images were shown on TV every night. You got to see the death and suffering on both sides.
This is why our government so tightly restricts media access to war areas now. They don't want to make the same mistakes.

The horrible images of Viet Nam inflamed the social conscience of America. It prompted millions to protest against further slaughter of American soldiers. I have always been proud of my parents for doing what they felt was right. Rather than what was considered socially and politically correct. Like so many of you are doing now.

gaffer said:
So your father was a draft dodging loser and your mother a follow along. I see nothing to be proud of there. Those are exactly the kind of people I have dispised for almost 40 years.

The war didn't end because of your silly parents it ended because Nixon bombed the shit out of N. Vietnam and finally drove them to the bargaining table. That's real history, not your revisionist make beieve shit.

A second war then broke out when the north invaded the south two years after the peace agreement. Our wonderful liberal congress voted not to give any funding or suport to the south vietnamese. Without supplies they were quickly overwhelmed. That's real history again, something you will never be taught at berkley. Liberals are communist under a different name is all.

Excellent Sir, as usual.

Gabriella84 said:
All full-time college students in good standing and regular attendance were exempt from military service. It wasn't draft dodging. Neither of my parents were drafted.

All of the negatives drawn from the Viet Nam war were the result of the United States being there unlawfully in the first place. As though who are willing to read know, Viet Nam was the first "prime time" war. The images were shown on TV every night. You got to see the death and suffering on both sides.
This is why our government so tightly restricts media access to war areas now. They don't want to make the same mistakes.

The horrible images of Viet Nam inflamed the social conscience of America. It prompted millions to protest against further slaughter of American soldiers. I have always been proud of my parents for doing what they felt was right. Rather than what was considered socially and politically correct. Like so many of you are doing now.

You didn't answer my question.

Twice now you haven't answer my questions Gabby.

1. How has the Patriot Act affected YOUR life directly...not your parents...YOU.

2. While your parents protested the way on the streets, did they spit on our soldiers and call them "Baby-Killers" when they returned?

Simple questions. Certainly a semi-college educated (since you haven't graduated yet) individual as yourself can answer simple questions.

Yes.
No.

Easy.

Forum List

Back