Draft? Badnarik, Kerry, Bush and others?

tpahl

Jun 7, 2004
Cascadia
Fmr jarhead said:
I think the DNC has clearly veered away from the main body of the Dem base (anyone surprised?) What I find most interesting, is the fact that the Dems did not speak much about their platform at their convention. Does anyone REALLY know any of their official positions?

The GOP has veered away from the main body of the Republican base as well. Look at spending, guns :2guns:, health care, education, etc...

The Democrats on the otherhand are ignoring the strong anti-war movement in the democratic party by electing a war hero/send more troops john kerry.

Watch the convention in NYC critically. Other than the war on terror, Bush and fellow conservatives will either talk about big government programs they support, or they will talk about decreasing the size of government (which they never do).

When it is all over, ask yourself if this is really the party for you.
Travis

tpahl said:
The GOP has veered away from the main body of the Republican base as well. Look at spending, guns :2guns:, health care, education, etc...

The Democrats on the otherhand are ignoring the strong anti-war movement in the democratic party by electing a war hero/send more troops john kerry.

Watch the convention in NYC critically. Other than the war on terror, Bush and fellow conservatives will either talk about big government programs they support, or they will talk about decreasing the size of government (which they never do).

Travis
TRAVIS! Dude, you make some really good posts, but man, give it a rest. It is a given that anytime I see your nic in a thread, you will take that thread to the libertarian/badnarik theme; and it dosen't seem to matter much what the thread is about.

Is there anything in life or any opinion you have that does not involve these two topics?

tpahl said:

Travis

Do you honestly believe John Kerry has any intention of doing anything short of fleeing Iraq?

HGROKIT said:
TRAVIS! Dude, you make some really good posts, but man, give it a rest. It is a given that anytime I see your nic in a thread, you will take that thread to the libertarian/badnarik theme; and it dosen't seem to matter much what the thread is about.

Is there anything in life or any opinion you have that does not involve these two topics?

I'll second that, Tphal you have started many threads that envolve Badnarik as the topic, fine, but quite highjacking other threads to steer them toward this topic.

Do you honestly believe John Kerry has any intention of doing anything short of fleeing Iraq?

yeah, I honestly beleive that he will send more troops and possibly institute a draft.

Travis

HGROKIT said:

There are many other threads when I have not done so either. It may be you just notice the ones where I do more often or perceive me to be doing so when I am not (as is the case here).

I have not seen you critise other people for doing the same thing regarding Kerry and the democrats or Bush and the republicans, yet I think just about everyone on this list mentions their favorite candidate/party the same ammount of time as I do.

As for this particular, if you read my post carefully, you will note that I do not mention the libertarian party or Badnarik. Everyone else was discussing the upcoming GOP convention, that is what I was discussing as well.

IN conclusion, if you do not like my post, ignore it. I ignore whole threads that bore me all the time. It is much more productive than critisizing peoples posts that bore me.

Travis

MtnBiker said:
I'll second that, Tphal you have started many threads that envolve Badnarik as the topic, fine, but quite highjacking other threads to steer them toward this topic.

I have not hijacked the thread. I posted on the same topic everyone else is posting on (the upcoming GOP convention). I am doing nothing different than anyone else. I am not breaking rules. If you find my posts interesting, just ignore them. I will not be offended.

There is no reason to re-institute the draft. The military has more recruits than it can handle right now, and by conscripting apathetic or unwilling young men and women in to the military will destroy morale, and professionalism of our armed forces.

I am anxiously awaiting the GOP convention, and I will watch it open to close in Hi DEF....should be pretty interesting. Critical eyes are always on politicians. The Dems have not persuaded me to vote for them, yet, and I have yet to determine if Bush/Cheny can get me to pull the trigger for them.

Watch and wait.

BTW....Arnold has done a pretty good job in CA from everything I have heard (family is on West Coast). Political bickering is the status quo out there with the radical Bay area types that would vote to secede if given the opportunity.

Fmr jarhead said:
There is no reason to re-institute the draft. The military has more recruits than it can handle right now, and by conscripting apathetic or unwilling young men and women in to the military will destroy morale, and professionalism of our armed forces.

Of course there is no good reason and it is a bad idea. Nonetheless both the R's and D's are looking at doing it after the election. here is a thread with some articles on the subject...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10060&highlight=draft+democrats

tpahl said:
Of course there is no good reason and it is a bad idea. Nonetheless both the R's and D's are looking at doing it after the election. here is a thread with some articles on the subject...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10060&highlight=draft+democrats

Thanks for the link....but this still does not clearly state a position by either the DNC or the GOP and support the idea of re-instituting the drat.

Sure, the Selective Service has contingecy plans for this, but there are also contingency plans to invade Canada, as well. Both are plans that are real, but neither are plausible. nor necessay for any reason.

The claims of re-instituting the draft is nothing more than fear mongering, or an attempt to insight an uneducated constituency to vote out of fear, in my opinion.

Fmr jarhead said:
Thanks for the link....but this still does not clearly state a position by either the DNC or the GOP and support the idea of re-instituting the drat.

Sure, the Selective Service has contingecy plans for this, but there are also contingency plans to invade Canada, as well. Both are plans that are real, but neither are plausible. nor necessay for any reason.

The claims of re-instituting the draft is nothing more than fear mongering, or an attempt to insight an uneducated constituency to vote out of fear, in my opinion.

Neither party is going to bring it up in the middle of an election cycle, but both parties have had congressmen bringing it up as well as bush preparing for the draft. But we will keep this message on record so come next spring I can say (or you can say) 'told you so'

tpahl said:
There are many other threads when I have not done so either. It may be you just notice the ones where I do more often or perceive me to be doing so when I am not (as is the case here).

I have not seen you critise other people for doing the same thing regarding Kerry and the democrats or Bush and the republicans, yet I think just about everyone on this list mentions their favorite candidate/party the same ammount of time as I do.

As for this particular, if you read my post carefully, you will note that I do not mention the libertarian party or Badnarik. Everyone else was discussing the upcoming GOP convention, that is what I was discussing as well.

IN conclusion, if you do not like my post, ignore it. I ignore whole threads that bore me all the time. It is much more productive than critisizing peoples posts that bore me.

Travis
I don't criticize anyone else because they do not as a rule do so. Furthermore, I never make a case for any candidate. My post to you was an observation of fact - not a slight in any way - just an observation with the suggestion that you are free to start any thread you want.

tpahl said:
Neither party is going to bring it up in the middle of an election cycle, but both parties have had congressmen bringing it up as well as bush preparing for the draft. But we will keep this message on record so come next spring I can say (or you can say) 'told you so'

Will you find satisfaction in that? (either saying "I told you so," or the re-institution of the draft for MEN and WOMEN up to the ages of 34, as the bills are written, now?)

Hollings bill (Senate Bill 89) introduced in the Senate and Rangle's bill (House Bill 163, I think) in the House are going nowhere. They are buried in the Armed Services Committees who will probably not do much with them, except them die a slow death.

Fmr jarhead said:
Will you find satisfaction in that? (either saying "I told you so," or the re-institution of the draft for MEN and WOMEN up to the ages of 34, as the bills are written, now?)

Hollings bill (Senate Bill 89) introduced in the Senate and Rangle's bill (House Bill 163, I think) in the House are going nowhere. They are buried in the Armed Services Committees who will probably not do much with them, except them die a slow death.

I would find satisfaction in saying I told you so, but it would be greatly eclippsed by the the reinstitution of the draft. I hope that you will be the one saying I told you so. Unfortunately I do not think that will be the case.

The bills are buried as you said, because neither party wants to bring it to a vote during an election year. They know that a vote for it is a good way to lose an election and would rather wait until after the election to have teh vote. That is why the draft will not be reinstated this year but it is very likely to be next year.

HGROKIT said:
I don't criticize anyone else because they do not as a rule do so. Furthermore, I never make a case for any candidate. My post to you was an observation of fact - not a slight in any way - just an observation with the suggestion that you are free to start any thread you want.

I actually have been warned against starting new threads when they are related to an existing one, so I try not to. I thank you for your suggestion, and sorry if I took it the wrong way. I just feel that my post was on topic and yet it gets picked on as being off topic.

Travis

tpahl said:
I actually have been warned against starting new threads when they are related to an existing one, so I try not to. I thank you for your suggestion, and sorry if I took it the wrong way. I just feel that my post was on topic and yet it gets picked on as being off topic.

Travis
Understood. In all honesty however, all your posts appear related Travis - I think that is the point. Dunno, just something to think about.

tpahl said:
I would find satisfaction in saying I told you so, but it would be greatly eclippsed by the the reinstitution of the draft. I hope that you will be the one saying I told you so. Unfortunately I do not think that will be the case.

The bills are buried as you said, because neither party wants to bring it to a vote during an election year. They know that a vote for it is a good way to lose an election and would rather wait until after the election to have teh vote. That is why the draft will not be reinstated this year but it is very likely to be next year.

neither bill is going anywhere because the DOD DOES NOT WANT THE DRAFT! The military brass, many of whom first entered the service while the draft was still in place, have clearly said that a DRAFT IS NO GOOD!

I know several guys now that are "private contractors" in Afghanistan providing "security" and "aiding" units looking for OBL. If you will see anything, you will see more and more the PRIVATIZATION of the military. Something you libertarians should appreciate.

Forum List

Back