Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

That was when Liberals were Liberals - and not progressives as they are now. Comparing those days to these is like comparing apples to oranges. Might both be 'fruit' but there is no rational comparison.

Liberalism, by it's very nature, is progressive. Conservatives are traditionalists..hence you see the "time slicing" of Liberal agenda and beliefs by conservatives. It's a rather opaque attempt to claim credit for things the philosophy never supported at the time.

Do you honestly think that MLK would support today's 'Liberals' attitude towards minorities? Because if you do, you really don't understand what he stood for. He would never support the use of race as a weapon. He would not support the destruction of black communities for partisan politics. He just wouldn't... and that is what today's 'Liberals' to. They abuse minorities for political gain. They do not value minorities as people - minorities are just a 'voting block', a 'special interest' group to be pandered to when they need there votes. Do you think he would be proud of the disproportionate number of minorities on welfare? He wouldn't. And it is your party that has done that. He would be ashamed of today's Democrats.... and of today's Republicans... in my opinion.

MLK was a staunch, dyed in the wool, republican. He was fighting the democrats who were then controlled by the KKK. Back when there was a KKK powerful enough to put George Wallace in office as governor and send Robert Byrd to Washington. The blacks of the time were all republicans. IF MLK woud have opposed what the democrats have done since the civil rights movement of the day, that belief is NOT reflected in any of his fellow activists. That philosophy died along with King or become corrupted. Would King have followed his fellow civil rights activists? That's the question. Sure. He would not have stood alone.

The sainted Dr. King. We have a holiday honoring an alcoholic whoremaster. Somehow it seems fitting for today's people. If King had not been assassinated, he would have spent the civil rights movement in prison for embezzling money from the Ebenezer Baptist Church to fund his legendary booze and whore parties. Oh yes I remember the civil rights movement. I especially remember how he ordered black children in front of Bull Connor's fire hoses because it looked good on camera. Anything for the cause, right?

Thanks for contributing

I doubt if anyone could have done a better job in showing us what Dr King saved us from

Ive tried not to comment.

But saving us is a stretch.

I am not black. He means nothing to me. However I was victim to the violence his assassination brought about.

What he brought to us is fixing racial discrimination with racial discrimination.

George Washington could not tell a lie and chopped down a cherry tree.

The legend of MLK is just as truthful. Do a little historical research you just might find out who you really do support.

Liberalism, by it's very nature, is progressive. Conservatives are traditionalists..hence you see the "time slicing" of Liberal agenda and beliefs by conservatives. It's a rather opaque attempt to claim credit for things the philosophy never supported at the time.

Do you honestly think that MLK would support today's 'Liberals' attitude towards minorities? Because if you do, you really don't understand what he stood for. He would never support the use of race as a weapon. He would not support the destruction of black communities for partisan politics. He just wouldn't... and that is what today's 'Liberals' to. They abuse minorities for political gain. They do not value minorities as people - minorities are just a 'voting block', a 'special interest' group to be pandered to when they need there votes. Do you think he would be proud of the disproportionate number of minorities on welfare? He wouldn't. And it is your party that has done that. He would be ashamed of today's Democrats.... and of today's Republicans... in my opinion.

MLK was a staunch, dyed in the wool, republican. He was fighting the democrats who were then controlled by the KKK. Back when there was a KKK powerful enough to put George Wallace in office as governor and send Robert Byrd to Washington. The blacks of the time were all republicans. IF MLK woud have opposed what the democrats have done since the civil rights movement of the day, that belief is NOT reflected in any of his fellow activists. That philosophy died along with King or become corrupted. Would King have followed his fellow civil rights activists? That's the question. Sure. He would not have stood alone.

Well no he wasn't. That was his father. He voted for Kennedy.

Public stance on political parties

As the leader of the SCLC, King maintained a policy of not publicly endorsing a U.S. political party or candidate: "I feel someone must remain in the position of non-alignment, so that he can look objectively at both parties and be the conscience of both—not the servant or master of either."[29]

In a 1958 interview, he expressed his view that neither party was perfect, saying, "I don't think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses ... And I'm not inextricably bound to either party."[30]

King critiqued both parties' performance on promoting racial equality:

Actually, the Negro has been betrayed by both the Republican and the Democratic party. The Democrats have betrayed him by capitulating to the whims and caprices of the Southern Dixiecrats. The Republicans have betrayed him by capitulating to the blatant hypocrisy of reactionary right wing northern Republicans. And this coalition of southern Dixiecrats and right wing reactionary northern Republicans defeats every bill and every move towards liberal legislation in the area of civil rights.[31]

Personal political advocacy

Although King never publicly supported a political party or candidate for president, in a letter to a civil rights supporter in October 1956 he said that he was undecided as to whether he would vote for the Adlai Stevenson or Dwight Eisenhower, but that "In the past I always voted the Democratic ticket."[32]

In his autobiography, King says that in 1960 he privately voted for Democratic candidate John F. Kennedy: "I felt that Kennedy would make the best president. I never came out with an endorsement. My father did, but I never made one." King adds that he likely would have made an exception to his non-endorsement policy in 1964, saying "Had President Kennedy lived, I would probably have endorsed him in 1964."[33]
Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thanks for contributing

I doubt if anyone could have done a better job in showing us what Dr King saved us from

I am not black. He means nothing to me. However I was victim to the violence his assassination brought about.

What he brought to us is fixing racial discrimination with racial discrimination.

The legend of MLK is just as truthful. Do a little historical research you just might find out who you really do support.

The point would be?

The point would be?

He liked his booze and was a womanizer. Just like Washington! :lol:

All the BS we have to hear on MLK day is nauseating.

I wonder how MLK would view the people who claim him for their partisan bullshit. Having read a lot of and by the man... I kind of think he'd be ashamed of y'all. But, if you don't really care about the man, his work and his values... then I guess you have no problem in using his name for your partisan crap.

You probably read very little. Like most legends, what you read is mostly after the fact hype. His most famous I have a dream speech was actually written by Clarence Jones, the biggest problem was in getting King sober enough to deliver it. The legend of MLK is just that, legend, manufactured for the purpose.

Anyone who starts a post with 'probably' and makes an idiotic claims about what someone else has read is not smart enough for me to concern myself with.

Twit.

The sainted Dr. King. We have a holiday honoring an alcoholic whoremaster. Somehow it seems fitting for today's people. If King had not been assassinated, he would have spent the civil rights movement in prison for embezzling money from the Ebenezer Baptist Church to fund his legendary booze and whore parties. Oh yes I remember the civil rights movement. I especially remember how he ordered black children in front of Bull Connor's fire hoses because it looked good on camera. Anything for the cause, right?

Thanks for contributing

The thing is..that all that "information" was gleaned by a man who in his spare time liked to dress in woman's underwear.

Well, if you are going to have a liberal manufactured legend of King, you could certainly have manufactured dirt on Hoover too.

Martin Luther King ordered black children in front of Bull Connor's firehoses because it made spectacular film for the nightly news. Are you okay with that?

I wonder how MLK would view the people who claim him for their partisan bullshit. Having read a lot of and by the man... I kind of think he'd be ashamed of y'all. But, if you don't really care about the man, his work and his values... then I guess you have no problem in using his name for your partisan crap.

You probably read very little. Like most legends, what you read is mostly after the fact hype. His most famous I have a dream speech was actually written by Clarence Jones, the biggest problem was in getting King sober enough to deliver it. The legend of MLK is just that, legend, manufactured for the purpose.

Anyone who starts a post with 'probably' and makes an idiotic claims about what someone else has read is not smart enough for me to concern myself with.

Twit.

I said probably because I don't know where you get your information from. I can't say definitively what you have read to form the opinions that you have. I can say that what you have read promotes the legend and not the truth of what King really was. Look it up. Stop accepting the pablum cooked up to make a legend. Look it up for yourself.

Twit.

I said probably because I don't know where you get your information from. I can't say definitively what you have read to form the opinions that you have. I can say that what you have read promotes the legend and not the truth of what King really was. Look it up. Stop accepting the pablum cooked up to make a legend. Look it up for yourself.

I've read extensively about King, and - despite your claims - not all from the positive point of view. That is called research. Intelligent research on an individual requires one read both the positive and the negative. From that, one forms one's own opinion. I hope that helps you understand how intelligent people develop their opinions. Perhaps you might be encouraged to try it for yourself.

He would cheer the people who LOVE what he did for America.

I am one of those.

You dont get to claim him as yours while fighting against what he stood for.

I am one of those.

if your for affirmative action aren't you fighting against what he stood for?

The United States came back from WWII as the most powerful nation on earth. We pounded our chests with pride that we had shown the world what liberty and freedom was all about.

But we were not a great nation. We were a morally weak nation that looked the other way and accepted injustice directed at some of our citizens

If you were a Negro at that time you were officially labeled as filthy and not worthy of mingling with proper white people. If a Negro swam in a public pool, that pool would be drained and cleaned before they would let white people swim in it. We spent tax dollars to build two sets of restrooms so that white people would not be subjected to colored filth

Even if you go into the Pentagon today you will see two sets of restrooms right next to each other. That was 1940s Virginia and we used precious tax dollars to protect the bigotry of whites

America was not a great country morally. We had a huge stain on our soul and were perfectly fine with it.

That is what Dr King saved us from

I am one of those.

if your for affirmative action aren't you fighting against what he stood for?

And you are insane and full of propaganda.

You dont get to claim him while you fight against what he stood for.

There is a reason black people dont vote republican.

Your obvious lies about what Happened at ACORN is another.

The whole Floridas central file thing is yet another reason blacks dont vote republican.

Quit trying to keep black people FROM voting would be a good start.

Forum List

Back