Dr. Lott takes on the Gun Violence Archive.....

Lott’s data and honesty have been repeatedly called into question by other academics. In one case, he claimed to have done a survey that found in 98 percent of cases when a weapon is used in self-defense, it was only brandished and not fired. When other academics asked for his data, Lott claimed he lost it as the result of a catastrophic hard drive crash.

I have had a gun brandished at me in two robberies during my long life and did not get shot when I was unarmed. Both times I handed over my wallet and kept my life. As a result of that I moved out of the big city and took up residence in farm country where everybody knows everybody else and we are all armed to the teeth.

Had you been armed it may not have gone so well. Most crime happens in cities with high crime rates and low lawful gun ownership. Not sure how there can be millions of defenses.

I know the legal rules of handling a fire arm taught to me by the military so many years ago. All I have to do is shout Halt and then Halt again. I am not required to yell Halt the third time and can legally open fire.

You said the robber had a gun. If you pulled one on him he might have been inclined to shoot. Unarmed you were not shot.

Yes...leave it to you to put your life in the hands of someone who has already told you that if you do not give him everything he wants, he will murder you.......do you have any self preservation instinct?

Your list includes surveys that don't exist, debunked surveys, surveys that weren't national, surveys you have 0 details on. Don't pretend you have a list of well done surveys. The NCVS is a very well done survey and that is where I get my numbers.

And you are lying......again. The research is the research....you hate what it shows....that AMericans uses guns to stop violent criminal attack in some studies at least 1,500,000 times a year...and that study was conducted by two rabid, anti gunners......

But please...the NCVS is not a defensive gun use study and doesn't even ask about defensive gun use.....you know that, we have been over and over it....and that you still use it shows what a vile, lying moron you are.

Your survey doesn't even say that'. Amazing how you pull numbers out of your ass.

that study says exactly that.....liar.

Which one?

A commonly cited estimate by Kleck and Gertzshows between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[11][6]

And here are a number of studies.......

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The list below is the name of the group or researcher doing the study, the year of the study and the number of defensive gun uses that they found...also, wether police and military defensive gun use is included.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--
------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

You said at least 1.5. You realize many of your studies are below that right?

Tell us more about this Field survey. Who worked on that? How many were surveyed?

Please link to this CDC study and quote where they arrived at those numbers? How many did they survey?

Lott’s data and honesty have been repeatedly called into question by other academics. In one case, he claimed to have done a survey that found in 98 percent of cases when a weapon is used in self-defense, it was only brandished and not fired. When other academics asked for his data, Lott claimed he lost it as the result of a catastrophic hard drive crash.

I have had a gun brandished at me in two robberies during my long life and did not get shot when I was unarmed. Both times I handed over my wallet and kept my life. As a result of that I moved out of the big city and took up residence in farm country where everybody knows everybody else and we are all armed to the teeth.

Had you been armed it may not have gone so well. Most crime happens in cities with high crime rates and low lawful gun ownership. Not sure how there can be millions of defenses.

I know the legal rules of handling a fire arm taught to me by the military so many years ago. All I have to do is shout Halt and then Halt again. I am not required to yell Halt the third time and can legally open fire.

You said the robber had a gun. If you pulled one on him he might have been inclined to shoot. Unarmed you were not shot.

Yes...leave it to you to put your life in the hands of someone who has already told you that if you do not give him everything he wants, he will murder you.......do you have any self preservation instinct?

He was unarmed and still seems to be alive.

And you are lying......again. The research is the research....you hate what it shows....that AMericans uses guns to stop violent criminal attack in some studies at least 1,500,000 times a year...and that study was conducted by two rabid, anti gunners......

But please...the NCVS is not a defensive gun use study and doesn't even ask about defensive gun use.....you know that, we have been over and over it....and that you still use it shows what a vile, lying moron you are.

Your survey doesn't even say that'. Amazing how you pull numbers out of your ass.

Which one?

A commonly cited estimate by Kleck and Gertzshows between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[11][6]

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The list below is the name of the group or researcher doing the study, the year of the study and the number of defensive gun uses that they found...also, wether police and military defensive gun use is included.....

--
------------------

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Tell us more about this Field survey. Who worked on that? How many were surveyed?

Please link to this CDC study and quote where they arrived at those numbers? How many did they survey?

The list is from an actual peer reviewed paper......you can look them up....the Obama research through the CDC was also comprehensive.....it looked at all the available research through 2013....and they spent 10 million dollars of our tax money to do it....

Which one?

--
------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

The list is from an actual peer reviewed paper......you can look them up....the Obama research through the CDC was also comprehensive.....it looked at all the available research through 2013....and they spent 10 million dollars of our tax money to do it....

What you have no details? Answer the questions. Links. You make up things too often for no links. Show the CDC arrived at that. Give some details of this field survey.

Forum List

Back