Dr. Evil Wastes No Time

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Not taking too much time after consolidating power it seems....

01cnd-nepal.184.jpg

Nepal's King Cracks Down on Politics and News Media
By AMY WALDMAN

Published: February 8, 2005

KATMANDU, Nepal, Feb. 7 - Instead of the usual spicy mix of current affairs and politics, the subject of Radio Sagarmatha's talk show on Saturday night was as bland as rice.

In fact, the subject was rice: the differences, as explained by a scientist, between golden, wild and other varieties. That was the only topic the independent Nepali FM station felt safe to discuss.

"Normally I don't do that kind of program," a 31-year-old journalist at the station said, laughing nervously as a soldier listened. When the soldier - one of six lounging around the station - moved off, the smile fell away.

"Our hands are tied," the journalist said.

Six days ago Nepal's king ended the country's 15-year experiment with democracy and took power for himself, imposing a state of emergency and suspending a host of civil liberties, including freedom of expression. Nepalis have been facing something between fear and a farce since then, adjusting to a combination of royal rule and martial law. Those in politics and the news media feel particularly under siege.

In a televised address last Tuesday morning, King Gyanendra said he was taking power for three years because the country's fractious political parties had failed to hold elections or bring Maoist rebels to peace talks. As he spoke, phone lines and Internet connections were being cut, political and student leaders were being detained and soldiers were arriving at news organizations' offices to take on their new role as censors.

Nepalis now have no freedom of assembly, expression or opinion; no right to information, property or privacy; and no protection from preventive detention. The government has banned any criticism of the king's action for six months, and any public comment that could affect the morale of the security agencies.

Widespread international condemnation has done nothing to slow the arrest of political and student activists, with the military insisting that the detentions are necessary to prevent protests against the king.

The new government, installed Wednesday, acknowledges having 27 politicians under house arrest or in detention, but human rights activists say dozens more people, many of them student leaders, have "disappeared" into custody. Those who have not been arrested have gone underground or to India.

A committee of military and civilian officials that meets daily to review the communications blackout has begun to allow local phone access for a couple of unscheduled hours each day.

Soldiers have been pulled back from newspaper offices, but only because editors have "assured us there would be self-censorship," said Brig. Gen. Dipak K. Gurung, the spokesman for the Royal Nepal Army. They did so with some encouragement: the king's press secretary told some editors last week that he would not be able to help if the military decided to "disappear" them for a few hours, according to one editor who spoke on condition of anonymity.

All of that is necessary, General Gurung said, to stop the publication and broadcasting of Maoist announcements and propaganda, and reports that sap the army's morale.

"In the name of democracy, in the name of freedom, they really got out of control," he said of the news media. "If they are cooperating," he said, referring to the editors, "there's no reason they should be afraid."

Until 2001 Nepal's military was a largely ceremonial force numbering 45,000. Now it is approaching 85,000, has the central role in battling the insurgency and, as of last Tuesday, a crucial role in enforcing the state of emergency and overseeing the country's civil administration.

Analysts and news reports say the king views Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, who took power in a coup in 1999, as a role model, and the two men apparently share a belief in the military's inherent efficiency.

General Gurung said senior military officers were already calling in officials from ministries and government-owned corporations for meetings. "They have to produce results or come up with a good explanation," the general said of the civilian officials.

Read the rest of the article here.

Nepali Army Launches Air Strikes Against Rebels
By REUTERS

Published: February 8, 2005

Filed at 11:57 a.m. ET

KATHMANDU, Nepal (Reuters) - Nepali troops backed by helicopters have attacked Maoist camps in the jungles in the west of the country, as part of a new offensive against the rebels launched after the king seized power a week ago.

Dozens of Maoists were killed in Monday's strikes on training camps and shelters near the western city of Nepalgunj, newspapers said Tuesday. The army said several Maoists but no soldiers were killed, though it was still awaiting details.

A senior military officer in Nepalgunj told Reuters by telephone troops were returning to the city after the operation.

The army said at least three Maoists were killed in other clashes Monday and a soldier died defusing a land mine.

The rebels have not commented on the latest clashes.

King Gyanendra sacked the government, suspended civil rights and seized power in what some analysts said was a move to give free rein to the army against the rebels to end a nine-year rebellion to topple the monarchy and set up a communist state.

More than 11,000 people have been killed -- almost a third of that number since late 2003 when the last round of peace talks collapsed.

Immediately after the king's move, which sparked worldwide condemnation, the army said it would intensify its offensive to force the rebels back to peace talks.

MAOIST THREAT

The Maoists have attacked King Gyanendra's assumption of power and threatened a blockade and traffic strike throughout the country on Feb. 13 if he does not restore democracy.

The guerrillas closed off the capital, Kathmandu, for a week last August with a blockade imposed by threat rather than force.

But the military says the rebels have been hit by the king's declaration of a state of emergency, which cut phones within the rugged Himalayan kingdom and with the outside world until late Monday. The Internet remained cut Tuesday.

"Their strength has weakened because with telephone lines and mobiles out, they have not been able to spread their psychological terror,'' another senior officer in western Nepal told Reuters.

Late Monday, domestic and international phone lines began working again for the first time in a week.

Rights groups plan the first open show of defiance against the king Thursday and have called their supporters onto the streets for a "black flag'' rally outside the sprawling complex housing parliament and the prime minister's office.

A smaller protest called for Wednesday did not take place after dozens of armed police took positions around a busy square in the heart of Kathmandu. Under the rules of the state of emergency, all protests are banned. However, several small pro-king rallies have gone ahead undisturbed, some within a few hundred meters of the palace.

Hundreds of political leaders, activists, journalists and rights workers have been arrested around the country to stifle dissent and suppress opposition.

U.N. rights investigators urged Gyanendra to restore democracy and the rule of law. The nine investigators, who issued their appeal at the U.N's European headquarters in Geneva, said they were "deeply concerned'' at the king's actions.

"We consider that steps should be taken to reinstall democratic institutions and to protect Nepalese citizens and their representatives, as well as human rights defenders, journalists, lawyers and political leaders,'' they declared.

As phone links were slowly restored throughout Nepal, residents said the country remained largely peaceful but people were worried.

"At least 40 activists have been arrested from this area that we know of,'' said Tanka Khanal, a resident of the town of Biratnagar. "Some people are going to India to escape trouble.''

"We want peace,'' said Uday Shreshtha in Nepalgunj. "We hope whatever the king has done will take us on the path to peace. People are scared of Maoists, soldiers and the police.''

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/international/international-nepal.html

Someone please tell me who the 'Maoists' are and what they want. I really, really do not want to search this. :blowup:

Kathianne said:
Someone please tell me who the 'Maoists' are and what they want. I really, really do not want to search this. :blowup:

A communist party and military organization founded in the early 1990's. And that's alls I know. :tng:

boy this joker doesnt waste any time...lol
talk about a culture shock! one minute you can talk shit all you want, the next your in lock step!
:scratch: :scratch:
break out the tin foil, i think this ones going to be very amusing to watch unfold!

Johnney said:
boy this joker doesnt waste any time...lol
talk about a culture shock! one minute you can talk shit all you want, the next your in lock step!
:scratch: :scratch:
break out the tin foil, i think this ones going to be very amusing to watch unfold!

The Maoist want to remove any semblance of monarchy in Nepal, creating a PRN of sorts. I guess monarchy might be a little better than what the communists have in mind. But I Doubt it.

Said1 said:
The Maoist want to remove any semblance of monarchy in Nepal, creating a PRN of sorts. I guess monarchy might be a little better than what the communists have in mind. But I Doubt it.
its going to be intersting to say the least.
ill make the popcorn if you pick up some water...lol

damn! First find:

http://www.nepalresearch.org/politics/maoists.htm

The CPN-Maoist is one of several splinter groups of the Communist Party of Nepal (CPN) that believe in the ideals of Chinese cultural revolution as it is represented nowadays by the Revolutionary International Movement (RIM). The CPN-Maoist came to birth when the political wing of Nepal’s radical left parties, the Samyukta Jana Morcha Nepal (SJMN) or United People’s Front Nepal, split in late 1993. At that time, the SJMN had been the third strongest force in the Pratinidhi Sabha (House of Representatives) with 9 MPs.

The splinter groups around Pushpa Kamal Dahal, better known as Comrade Prachanda, now called itself CPN-Maoist. Dr. Baburam Bhattarai, the former convenor of the SJMN, emerged as some kind of speaker of this new party trying hard for a common line of the Maoist forces. After the downfall of the Adhikari government in September 1995 and the following harsh government actions against the Maoist forces in western Nepal, the CPN-Maoist found the time ripe for revolution.

When the government of Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba disregarded a list of 40 demands presented by the Maoists, the party started its violent activities against state institutions and individuals in some districts of mid-western Nepal, especially in Rolpa, Rukum, Jajarkot, Salyan and Gorkha. The Maoists call it a people’s war aiming at a fundamental change of economy and social structure to introduce a new kind of democracy. The Nepali state, represented by the established political parties, calls it terrorist activities which have to be opposed forcefully.

Until the end of 2001, more than 2400 people have lost their lives, many by Maoist attacks but a lot more by police and army actions, and more than half of the country has been affected. The Maoist activities seem to be extended more and more using large armies of rebels for the attacks against police posts. The government, on the other hand, is talking about the involvement of the army calling it the only way to re-establish law and order in the country.

The governments have changed very often since the Maoists started their campaign. None of these governments has, so far, been willing to take it not simply as terrorism (what it is, in the way it is presented), but also to see the political, social and economic background, while looking for solutions. Sending in more and more police or even army troops is no solution. Ministers who even today say, they did not know what the Maoists want, are totally out of place. For her offensive, the government primarily does not need police or army but the implementation of effective politics that improve the lot of the poor in the rural areas. Only then, Maoist slogans will die away.

Sher Bahadur Deuba's first steps after he again became prime minister in late June 2001 opened up a very positive perspective for a peaceful dialogue, but all hopes were shattered when the Maoists called off the dialogue and restarted their violent attacks in late November 2001. Now, the army has become involved as well, and a state of emergency has been declared.

After the royal takeover of October 4, 2002, the Maoists opened the way to a dialogue with the state by suggesting three steps: a roundtable of all political forces including king/security forces, followed by the formation of an all-party interim government and general elections for a constituent assembly that is to draw up a new constitution. On 29 January 2003, the government and the Maoist leaders again declared a ceasefire. On 13 March 2003, government and Maoists agreed on a code of conduct for peace talks.

After three rounds of talks, the Maoists upheld only one of their fundamental demands, that for a constitutent assembly. This was rejected by the royal government which instead presented an agenda for major constitutional reforms with only vague details. As a result, the Maoists on August 27, 2003, broke off the peace dialogue and returned to their politics of violence and destruction.

Kathianne said:
Ministers who even today say, they did not know what the Maoists want, are totally out of place. For her offensive, the government primarily does not need police or army but the implementation of effective politics that improve the lot of the poor in the rural areas. Only then, Maoist slogans will die away.

I don't know, right now seems like panic to me.

Said1 said:
I thought you were an alchie? Bottled water! :slap:
alchie? me? i dont really drink that much. as a matter of fact i dont remember the last alcoholic drink i had. besides, im taking cough syrup with codiene right now, and im already a big enough asshole...lol

i dont know. there something strange happening over there. and not just whats in the papers

Johnney said:
alchie? me? i dont really drink that much. as a matter of fact i dont remember the last alcoholic drink i had. besides, im taking cough syrup with codiene right now, and im already a big enough asshole...lol

Really? I must have you confused with someone else (I'm giving you a suspicous look as I'm typing this you know).

Said1 said:
Really? I must have you confused with someone else (I'm giving you a suspicous look as I'm typing this you know).
dont get me wrong, when i do drink its alot. its just not close enough to be called drinking...lol
i think the last time i got drunk Jess and myself were in Cincy, around the beginning of November. i just cant stand the taste of beer anymore. but mixed drinks are all good!!

Johnney said:
dont get me wrong, when i do drink its alot. its just not close enough to be called drinking...lol
i think the last time i got drunk Jess and myself were in Cincy, around the beginning of November. i just cant stand the taste of beer anymore. but mixed drinks are all good!!

I'm just teasing you. Chill, or back to the iron lung with you. :D

Forum List

Back