Dr. Bukola Saraki - Quite Possibly The Best Governor in Nigeria

Akeredun

Rookie
May 29, 2010
Dr. Bukola Saraki became the governor of Kwara State (Nigeria), he inherited a crippling debt burden, and a state that was almost entirely dependent on federal revenue allocations. When Dr. Bukola Saraki became the governor of Kwara State, the civil service accounted for 75% of those in formal employment. Given the situation in Kwara State and the resources available to him, Dr. Bukola Saraki decided to hinge his administration on
- diversification of the economy, with commercial agriculture as the cornerstone
- creating a competitive business environment
- transparency and accountability in governance
Majority of Dr. Bukola Saraki's policies have been directed towards this end, in the belief that the long term interests of Kwara State are best served in this way.

Somehow, over the course of 8 years, he has succeeded in putting in place a portfolio of economic assets for the state, which have set it on the course of economic development while at the same time meeting the recurrent expenditure of the state and developing the infrastructure of the state.

Truly, if one assesses Kwara State today, it has a more competitive business environment than when Dr. Bukola Saraki came in. It is much more investor friendly, and the commercial agriculture project, which he made the flagship of the state has generated more than 25,000 jobs to date. His period in governance has seen the siting of two major industries - Tuyil Pharmaceuticals and Dangote. There has also been the selective revitalization of moribund state-owned industries - Kwara Furniture, Erin-Ile Paper Converters with the charge that they need to be self-sustaining and not a drain on the resources of the state.

A lot of Dr. Bukola Saraki's effort has gone into creating support infrastructure for business particularly in upgrading the Ilorin International Airport, and by personally ensuring that there are regular commercial flights to Ilorin firstly by Overland, Capital Airlines, and now Arik. His administration has seen the influx of key institutions, banks, telecommunication companies, NDIC, NSE, CAC.

Going by his stated intent to diversify the Kwara State economy, and create an investor-friendly climate, Dr. Bukola Saraki scores very high marks indeed considering that he more or less started from scratch.

While this is all very nice, (And he sounds like what we could call a right winger here) and I am glad for the folks who live in his state..... How is this relevant to US politics?

It sounds like he rationalized the tax structure and made more private sector jobs. Always a recipe for success. Maybe we can trade... Nigeria gets 0bama, we get Saraki. But Nigeria has enough troubles as it is.

Who do I give my bank account details to?

I want in on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed out on the Pet Rock.

Forum List

Back