Dozens in line for $1000 sneakers

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Outside Burn Rubber, a sneaker boutique that plans to sell Kanye West's highly anticipated Nike Air Yeezy II Saturday morning at a 400% markup, a secondary economy flourishes amid the colorful camping chairs lined up on the sidewalk. The two dozen people — mostly young men — sell their spots in line or pay others to hold their place.

Some have been there since last Friday, waiting for the chance to pay $1,000 for $245 kicks.

Dariante Dubose, 21, a student who lives on Detroit's west side, arrived Tuesday and is fourth in line because he bought someone's spot for $400 to ensure he'll be able to buy his size, 9.

"My mom stays in my spot when I go home to shower for an hour," said the expert sneaker-waiter, who came equipped with his computer, iPhone and headphones, along with a zebra-print Snuggie, gummy bears and the book "A Feast for Crows." "I decrease my water intake. I've been here three times before, so I know what to do."

But others, like Keenan Hastings, who ironically works at Footlocker, weren't taking any chances; the 21-year-old Auburn Hills resident took the week off work to wait in line -- and is No. 3 in the queue.

Wow. Footlocker must pay really well for Mr. Kastings to be able to take a week off to buy $1000 shoes. :cuckoo:

This shit makes me nuts.

Yes ravi I do. $1000 can pay tuition, textbooks, or - gasp - even be put in a savings account if ever he's let go for taking too much vacation time to go shopping.

I don't care if he's Trump's kid. That is fucking ridiculous.

Bearing in mind that this thread has been submitted in order to surrepticiously draw fire against blacks - though please don't congratulate me for stating the obvious, as I too disaprove of such wanton excess - it's important to remember the other side of the coin.

When the much lauded Audi R8 was released in Europe, it came with a hefty price tag. But regardless, everyone who could afford one wanted one. But due to such enormous demand, Audi announced that there would be a two year waiting list, and if you wanted to rise to the top of the waiting list, you'd have to pay several thousand euros for the privilege. I'm a huge proponent of Audi (I drive an R6), but even I couldn't get my head around paying a significant sum of money to be put on a two year waiting list for a car that will have been surpassed by future models in five years. It didn't make sense, and these were all white people who were queuing-up to be fleeced. But, then again, shoving £300 into the garter of an indifferent stripper with absolutely no possibility of getting your dick wet as a result seems equally pointless as well.

However, if you've legally earnt it, who am I to tell you what to spend your money on?

LOL! He works and goes to school and you begrudge him a pair of sneakers?

Chanel always knows better than anyone else what is good for them and how they should spend their money. Don't you know that by now?

Chanel always knows better than anyone else what is good for them and how they should spend their money. Don't you know that by now?

It doesn't show much common sense ,but its their cash spend it wisely or not ts their choice to make. Wait till someone gets a 9mm slug to the eye for a pair of these.

She must be a Democrat.

My last pair of sneakers cost me about $24. But if someone wants to spend $1000 on a pair of foam rubber shoes that look like floatation devices, that's their choice.

thats not what she said, its a matter of priority.

This generation has a problem with 'delayed gratification'. If my own daughter bought a 1k pair of sneakers then asked me for book money even 6 months later, I would tell her to read her shoes.

i have no clue what these shoes look like or why anyone would pay that much for a tennis shoe...but i dont see why people pay 55 k for a car either....but hey isnt it capitalism in play here....

who are we to judge what others can or cannot afford

*shrugs* I am not judging what he can afford, I am judging the VALUE and his Judgment. to me, when hes working a job in a shoe store, not exactly a lifes work, he most probably has much better things to do with that 1K. Just a guess.

he could be a trustee.....now who the hell goes and stands in line so their dumbass son can buy a 1000 sneakers....lol...when my son was 12 or so...he wanted these sneakers that were 200 bucks...i told him if they gave him a blow job every day he might get his monies worth...he never ask again....

the deal: i give you want i deem a reasonable cost of jeans etc would be....if you want something trendy or more....you work and fill in the difference...i still fuss when he buys starbucks coffee and expensive razors....i just dont get the starbucks coffee lol

Starbucks makes the worst cup off coffee I've ever had. Tastes like burnt tree bark. Why do people like that stuff?

Since the shoes only cost $10 to manufacture in China, there should be cheap copies available for $20 instead of $1000 very soon. Who would know how much you spent?

Considering that chanel paid for her own education and that of her children, has bought and sold six homes and has money in the bank, I'd say that she is qualified to say that NO ONE needs 1000 dollar sneakers.

And this is why I hate redistributionists. Something tells me that one of those idiots is spending MY money.

Forum List

Back