Downton Abbey

Blaming the victim again? She didn't prompt him to violently attack her, you're nuts.
I'm not blaming the victim. You are simply refusing to acknowledge there are men who regard a woman's friendly playfulness as receptiveness to sexual overture. When such men are then rejected they either think they've been teased or they believe the woman "likes it rough." This is a very common rape scenario and it's too bad you're not aware of it.

If you have attractive daughters your attitude will leave them vulnerable. You need to understand that most men have one thing in mind when transacting with attractive women. That's not a crime. It's Nature. Some men translate a naïve woman's receptive response to their friendly advances as encouragement. When their advances are later rejected they get angry. And some will not take no for an answer.

This is exactly what happened in the Anna/Green situation.

You are wrong. I let you get away with it once because you said I misunderstood your position but I didn't misunderstand a second time. Women do not intice men to this kind of violence by being fun and friendly. That is just ignorant on your part.

There is short circuiting in a rapist's brain that tells him it's ok because she seemed to him to be welcoming it. His advances are not sexual and she isn't asking for what he is interested in. It's violence, everyone knows that.

These days, women tell. Back then, they faced your kind of archaic mindset so that made them afraid to. They felt that they caused it to happen as it were men who ran everything and put this thought into their heads. The women knew she would have zero support because she allowed herself to laugh, have fun, be flirtateous.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong and you were blaming the victim.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much. But I'm sure she has a reason.

I hope you don't have any young attractive daughters to pass your ideas onto because you surely will leave them vulnerable to a situation commonly known as "date rape," which typically comes about as the result of misunderstood signals. Not because the man's brain is "short-circuited."

Last edited:
I'm not blaming the victim. You are simply refusing to acknowledge there are men who regard a woman's friendly playfulness as receptiveness to sexual overture. When such men are then rejected they either think they've been teased or they believe the woman "likes it rough." This is a very common rape scenario and it's too bad you're not aware of it.

If you have attractive daughters your attitude will leave them vulnerable. You need to understand that most men have one thing in mind when transacting with attractive women. That's not a crime. It's Nature. Some men translate a naïve woman's receptive response to their friendly advances as encouragement. When their advances are later rejected they get angry. And some will not take no for an answer.

This is exactly what happened in the Anna/Green situation.

You are wrong. I let you get away with it once because you said I misunderstood your position but I didn't misunderstand a second time. Women do not intice men to this kind of violence by being fun and friendly. That is just ignorant on your part.

There is short circuiting in a rapist's brain that tells him it's ok because she seemed to him to be welcoming it. His advances are not sexual and she isn't asking for what he is interested in. It's violence, everyone knows that.

These days, women tell. Back then, they faced your kind of archaic mindset so that made them afraid to. They felt that they caused it to happen as it were men who ran everything and put this thought into their heads. The women knew she would have zero support because she allowed herself to laugh, have fun, be flirtateous.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong and you were blaming the victim.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much. But I'm sure she has a reason.

I hope you don't have any young attractive daughters to pass your ideas onto because you surely will leave them vulnerable to a situation commonly known as "date rape," which typically comes about as the result of misunderstood signals. Not because the man's brain is "short-circuited."

And I hope you don't have sons that you can pass your archaic ideas that because a woman is friendly and having fun, it's ok to brutally beat and rape her if she resists his advances.

So here's the deal. I've been watching season 4 over again, they're in a poker game in London and Samson the dude who got caught cheating at Downton by Gregsson (Edith's chap) says something about Gregson being missing. No one ever said that publicly. So far it's been just between Edith, her dad and her grandma and the aunt. So, I'm betting Gregson never made it to Germany, I'm betting Samson killed him trying to get the poker money back because he didn't realize that Gregson had already given the money back to the Earl. :)

And I hope you don't have sons that you can pass your archaic ideas that because a woman is friendly and having fun, it's ok to brutally beat and rape her if she resists his advances.
I have no sons. I have three daughters, each of whom was made aware of the kind of mistake we saw Anna make with Mr. Green, the "friendly" valet. The simple fact which you refuse to accept is there are men who interpret the slightest flirtatiously playful behavior, especially on the part of a married woman, as deliberate enticement.

In the Downton Abbey scenario we saw Bates watch Anna sending exactly that signal and he tried to warn her. What is it you don't understand about something which every attractive, smart young woman should know?

I have no sons. I have three daughters, each of whom was made aware of the kind of mistake we saw Anna make with Mr. Green, the "friendly" valet. The simple fact which you refuse to accept is there are men who interpret the slightest flirtatiously playful behavior, especially on the part of a married woman, as deliberate enticement.

In the Downton Abbey scenario we saw Bates watch Anna sending exactly that signal and he tried to warn her. What is it you don't understand about something which every attractive, smart young woman should know?

She didn't send any signals, he simply took what he wanted. He wanted power. Normal men know the lines and the boundaries of human interaction. A rapist knows no bounds. He would rape no matter what the woman, wore, said or did not say. It is power, it is a disconnect in their mind.

What is it that you don't understand about men who see women as complete objects that they can take at will? It is not up to you to judge whether she is dressed properly, behaving in a way that might get her beaten and raped, whether she's too pretty, laughing too much, having too much fun or too anything.

It's a mindset like yours that has held women back and in fear and also has given these psychotic men an excuse for their violent urges. Well, she was "asking" for it.

Sorry, you're wrong here. Unbelievably wrong. To the point of being creepy.

What is it that you don't understand about men who see women as complete objects that they can take at will? It is not up to you to judge whether she is dressed properly, behaving in a way that might get her beaten and raped, whether she's too pretty, laughing too much, having too much fun or too anything.

It's a mindset like yours that has held women back and in fear and also has given these psychotic men an excuse for their violent urges. Well, she was "asking" for it.

Referring again to the Anna scenario; what do you suppose Bates was trying to warn Anna about when she was transacting frivolously (playing) with Green? Do you think Bates was perceiving Anna as an object and trying to hold her back?

And where did I mention anything about the way Anna was dressed?

You don't need to tell me there are men who incline to forcing their intentions on women. Some men are predatory opportunists who will simply attack a woman who is alone and vulnerable. Others are encouraged by what they perceive as subtle invitations and who believe that a woman who is flirtatious but later resists simply prefers to be taken forcibly ("likes it rough").

I am a man and as such I understand men a hell of a lot better than you do. In spite of your arrogantly nonsensical feminist perception of reality things are the way they are --not the way you and other feminist daydreamers want them to be.

All men are not rapists. Some men are. A smart woman knows how to avoid being victimized. Then there are women, like you, who refuse to accept the fact that dressing and behaving provocatively is looking for trouble. The bottom line in this issue is you feminists are your own worst enemy.

Referring again to the Anna scenario; what do you suppose Bates was trying to warn Anna about when she was transacting frivolously (playing) with Green? Do you think Bates was perceiving Anna as an object and trying to hold her back?

And where did I mention anything about the way Anna was dressed?

You don't need to tell me there are men who incline to forcing their intentions on women. Some men are predatory opportunists who will simply attack a woman who is alone and vulnerable. Others are encouraged by what they perceive as subtle invitations and who believe that a woman who is flirtatious but later resists simply prefers to be taken forcibly ("likes it rough").

I am a man and as such I understand men a hell of a lot better than you do. In spite of your arrogantly nonsensical feminist perception of reality things are the way they are --not the way you and other feminist daydreamers want them to be.

All men are not rapists. Some men are. A smart woman knows how to avoid being victimized. Then there are women, like you, who refuse to accept the fact that dressing and behaving provocatively is looking for trouble. The bottom line in this issue is you feminists are your own worst enemy.

No, not all men are rapists but you want women to behave a certain way just in case they are. I'm telling you for the last time, rape isn't about women behaving in a provocative way, it is about violence.

You just aren't correct here.

Downton Abbey buzz started 130 years before the series. In 1879, the comings and goings of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon – residents of Highclere Castle, now the set of the hit TV drama – were regularly published in British newspapers.
Below is a scan of a newspaper article printed at the time.

Seems very familiar. Selfridge is Moray and the love of his life is Denise and they are both cast in The Paradise.

Almost as if the real Selfridge set out to live Zola's story. But, of course, Zola's tale was roughly based on the life of the founder of a real French department store and some believe Selfridge based his merchandising concept (while still in America) upon that successful store.

[MENTION=31153]HenryBHough[/MENTION]

BBC show The Paradise axed as ITV's Mr. Selfridge triumphs in TV store wars

The Paradise was the rival show to ITV's highly-rated Mr Selfridge but BBC bosses have decided to axe the prime-time period drama after just two series.

The show, which launched in September 2012, centred around the department store's charismatic owner, Moray and his compelling love triangle with characters Katherine and Denise.

Hopes were initially high for the programme, which starred Game Of Thrones actor, Emun Elliott and acclaimed star, Joanna Vanderham, but ratings slipped to just over five million for series two.

BBC show The Paradise axed as ITV's Mr. Selfridge triumphs in TV store wars | Mail Online

Mystery solved. I remembered this exchange. I'm going to miss Moray and Denise. :(

Last edited:
The The Paradise borrowed too much from the theme of Mr. Selfridge to hold interest. It seemed like a plastic knock-off of the leather coat hanging in a closet. Okay for a rainy day but otherwise easy to ignore.

The The Paradise borrowed too much from the theme of Mr. Selfridge to hold interest. It seemed like a plastic knock-off of the leather coat hanging in a closet. Okay for a rainy day but otherwise easy to ignore.

On the surface this is correct.

Yes, it does look like The Paradise borrowed from Selfridge but that isn't what happened. Remember, the book from which The Paradise was adapted was written in France decades ago. That BBC and ITV each started production on their respective series at very close to the same time was entirely coincidental. Sadly so! But there was no "knock off" intent - I'm sure each of the producers were mortified when they saw what the other had undertaken.

The series would have been about equally enjoyable had they been done perhaps five years apart but, even then, folks would accuse the latter with being a rip off the former.

On the surface this is correct.

Yes, it does look like The Paradise borrowed from Selfridge but that isn't what happened. Remember, the book from which The Paradise was adapted was written in France decades ago. That BBC and ITV each started production on their respective series at very close to the same time was entirely coincidental. Sadly so! But there was no "knock off" intent - I'm sure each of the producers were mortified when they saw what the other had undertaken.

The series would have been about equally enjoyable had they been done perhaps five years apart but, even then, folks would accuse the latter with being a rip off the former.
Knowing that does make a difference.

Thanks.

Forum List

Back