Downton Abbey

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Let's talk about Downton Abbey. I am hooked on it. I have seen all episodes thus far and am watching them now as they come on every Sunday night.

What is it about DA that you like? What don't you like? What do you think about the characters? What about the plot lines? Where do you think things are headed for the Crawleys and all of the other fine characters involved in this great series?

I know there are lots out there who watch DA. I hunted for a thread on it but didn't find one, so thought I would give it a go.

Your impressions of Downton Abbey?

Last edited:
I've only seen the first episode, and it was very good. I intend to watch the rest, but road to hell and all that.

I have a friend at work and we both adore the Victorian Era. Now while DA actually started during the Edwardian Era, it still has a lot of the same qualities. I don't know how I had missed this show, but she started talking about how much I would enjoy it, so I went online and found a site that I was able to watch all three seasons. It was so funny because the day after I finished the "Christmas Special" from season 3, which unlike season 2 had nothing to do with Christmas, Gutfeld made a comment about what a stunner it was on The Five. I knew he was my long lost brother.:lol:

I was Googling around about DA because I wanted to know a bit more about it. In the course of doing that, I caught a major league spoiler. It seems that Season 3 has already been shown in the UK. Some clown was talking about "Sybil's death." Thanks a lot, mate. That was prior to last night's episode where, guess what? Sybil died.

I love the show, but I am thoroughly sick of Lord Crawley. Robert is a dim bulb who is very full of himself.

At this point, the evidence that he is an idiot is irrefutable:

1. His lousy testimony at Bate's trial ensured the latter's conviction.
2. His making WWI all about himself getting to wear a uniform and be in charge of the action.
3. His pseudo affair with a maid.
4. How he lost all of Cora's money by investing all of it in a railroad scheme.
5. His mismangement of the estate.
6. And worst of all, how his snobbery in insisting that Lord Tapsell oversee Sybil's labor instead of taking Dr. Clarkson's advice caused Sybil to die.

I can't stand him. He's an inbred moron.

I completely broke down when Ethel dropped her little boy off with his grandparents so he would have a better life:

Ethel, who has fallen into prostitution, meets with Mrs. Hughes and Isobel to offer to give up her illegitimate son, Charlie, to his grandparents, the Bryants. She had rebuffed their earlier attempt to adopt the boy. A meeting is arranged, at which Ethel says goodbye to her son. Then she returns to her wretched life.

Sybil died of Eclampsia last night. Poor thing.

Ahem. Her father the idiot prevented her from getting proper medical care, which contributed to her death.

I can't stand him.

I love the show, but I am thoroughly sick of Lord Crawley. Robert is a dim bulb who is very full of himself.

At this point, the evidence that he is an idiot is irrefutable:

1. His lousy testimony at Bate's trial ensured the latter's conviction.
2. His making WWI all about himself getting to wear a uniform and be in charge of the action.
3. His pseudo affair with a maid.
4. How he lost all of Cora's money by investing all of it in a railroad scheme.
5. His mismangement of the estate.
6. And worst of all, how his snobbery in insisting that Lord Tapsell oversee Sybil's labor instead of taking Dr. Clarkson's advice caused Sybil to die.

I can't stand him. He's an inbred moron.

He's HUMAN, for Pete's sake. That's precisely what I like about him.

I completely broke down when Ethel dropped her little boy off with his grandparents so he would have a better life:

Ethel, who has fallen into prostitution, meets with Mrs. Hughes and Isobel to offer to give up her illegitimate son, Charlie, to his grandparents, the Bryants. She had rebuffed their earlier attempt to adopt the boy. A meeting is arranged, at which Ethel says goodbye to her son. Then she returns to her wretched life.

A guaranteed tear jerker. Just like the scene where the faithful family dog ("Old Shep") dies in the arms of its master or, worse, where the master has to take Old Shep out back and put a pistol to his head.

Sybil died of Eclampsia last night. Poor thing.

Ahem. Her father the idiot prevented her from getting proper medical care, which contributed to her death.

I can't stand him.

You got me there. I didn't like that either. But, as I said, he's human. I'll tell you who I really didn't like in that scenario - it was the pompous family doctor who refused to send Sybil to the hospital. Malpractice CITY. In today's world . . . .

Forum List

Back