Downton Abbey:

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by MikeK, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,724
    This PBS Masterpice special airs at 9PM, Sundays. In addition to being very entertaining it is an interesting and exceptionally revealing look at the relationship between the nobility and the servant class in England's post-Victorian era. While we middle-class, relatively belligerent Americans harbor an innate contempt for the concept of voluntary servitude the ultra-civilized Brits had refined the arrangement to the level of a dignified and respected profession.

The Remains of The Day, (Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson) was the first movie I'd seen that showed the servants of an aristocrat's house to be more than animated, impersonal fixtures. Gosford Park took a step closer in terms of relationship but treats the servants as secondary objects. Downton Abbey focuses on the lives and personal experiences in the structured hierarchy of servants who tend the house of a high-ranking British lord.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I've seen a couple of episodes and I'm hooked. You're right...it's fascinating.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says, "Hey Queenie, `member me? I'm the one who climbed yer fence an' brought you dat batch o' special brownies ya liked so well...

The Queen loves to spot mistakes in Downton Abbey
    Sunday Sep 6, 2015 | When Downton Abbey returns to screens for the last time later this month, one hawk-eyed fan in particular will be ready to pounce on any historical inaccuracies the producers allow to slip through the net.

4. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,617
    First season was great. Rich in detail. Luxurious.

After the pretty stuff wears off, becomes an intolerably boring soap opera.

5. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,724
    That depends on one's level of interest in the seldom considered relationship between what was most commonly known as Upstairs and Downstairs, i.e., aristocrats and the servant class. In most examples, dramatizations in which servants are a visible presence in British theater they occur as incidental and as insignificant as furniture pieces.

The success of the 1970s' Upstairs/Downstairs television series was based entirely on consideration of this relationship and Downton Abbey is an especially well-crafted version of the same theme. Aside from that aspect, the cast, the sets and the wardrobe of this production are exceptional. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of every episode and I will sadly miss Downton Abbey when its final season ends nest year.

In fact I plan to start dropping some DVD-set Christmas gift hints.

6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,617
    The 1970s Upstairs/Downstairs was also a soap opera!

In fact, when I first saw Downton Abbey, that soap immediately sprang to mind.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Lady Mary got married again...

... would like to see the show end...

... kinda like St. Elsewhere did.

8. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,724
    I'm afraid the end is near for Downton Abbey, which is my very favorite tv series, and the loss will be like the death of a dear friend. I will be deeply saddened by the final curtain, which I believe might be the next episode.

Preparation for the end in nearly complete. Carson and Mrs. Hughes are married and have a cottage. Mrs. Patmore is opening a B & B. Thomas Barrow, the arch villain, has punished himself by attempting suicide, and so is redeemed. Daisy has become literate and faces a future other than service. Bates and Anna are expecting a baby. Mary is getting married (although I pity her husband). I believe Edith's love will return to her in the final episode and the only dangling participle is Branson, the chauffer-turned-widowed- nobleman. But I'm sure Fellows has something happy in store for him in the final episode.

Downton Abbey deserves as many Emmys as it can possibly have.