Downsized Wall Street licks its wounds More uncertainty, fewer jobs,

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
but still the brass ring for some
6/25/12

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — When it comes to careers, Wall Street has gone from a shining temple of opportunity to a bunker.

Behind the transformation lie years of risk-bundling, synthetic investment vehicles and other byzantine, unsustainable profit schemes. When they ultimately blew up, they threw the economy into recession and, like a financial Frankenstein, destroyed many of their own creators’ livelihoods.

Between January 2008 and January 2010, the finance sector in New York lost 46,500 jobs, the bulk of them in the securities industry.

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. GS -2.33% , Morgan Stanley MS -4.74% and Credit Suisse Group AG CS -3.72% are just a few of the big investment banks who are reportedly cutting staff this year. Analysts warn more cuts are likely if markets continue to deteriorate.

Read more Downsized Wall Street licks its wounds - MarketWatch

OK I had my 4 days off going back over the road. in my Freightliner. will be back in 4 to 6 weeks..

And yet - Wall Street had two record profit years (2009 and 2010).
Bonuses paid to some of the Wall Street banks in 2009 was at the highest percentage level ever recorded.
Go figure.

New Topics

Forum List

Back