Downs Syndrome Awareness Day

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
World Down Syndrome Awareness Day: children wear silly, odd and loud socks - Get West London

3/21
When a person is born with 3 instances of the 21st chromosome, they have Downs Syndrome. That is why March 21st (3/21) has been chosen as Downs Syndrome Awareness Day.

Myself and many of my coworkers already wear crazy socks on a regular basis, but today we kicked it up a notch. We not only wore crazy socks, but we mis-matched our socks to draw attention. I wore zombie socks (zombies on the socks), one red zombie with accompanying stripes and one green zombie with accompanying plaid. Probably 20 people commented on my mis-matched socks today so I had the chance to tell them about Downs Syndrome.

Coworkers did this,
One blue sock with green polka dots, other sock white with red, green and blue polka dots.
One sock horizontal rainbow striped, other sock vertical rainbow striped.
One sock Batman, other sock Robin.
One sock striped in various shades of orange, other sock striped in various shades of yellow.
One sock rainbow plaid, the other sock rainbow striped.

We Rock our Socks for Downs Syndrome.

I didn't know this...and it's only one day....

th

For several years, the state Special Olympics held their competitions in Morgantown, and we were invited to have a booth for our therapy dogs. I used to bring my big Shepherd Collie mix Hootie, and many of the participants stopping by were Downs Syndrome folks - they loved big shaggy Hootie and he adored them. :)

I didn't know this...and it's only one day....

th

For several years, the state Special Olympics held their competitions in Morgantown, and we were invited to have a booth for our therapy dogs. I used to bring my big Shepherd Collie mix Hootie, and many of the participants stopping by were Downs Syndrome folks - they loved big shaggy Hootie and he adored them. :)

Next year I'll try to remember to get the "Rock Your Socks" message out a little earlier.

World Down Syndrome Awareness Day: children wear silly, odd and loud socks - Get West London

3/21
When a person is born with 3 instances of the 21st chromosome, they have Downs Syndrome. That is why March 21st (3/21) has been chosen as Downs Syndrome Awareness Day.

Myself and many of my coworkers already wear crazy socks on a regular basis, but today we kicked it up a notch. We not only wore crazy socks, but we mis-matched our socks to draw attention. I wore zombie socks (zombies on the socks), one red zombie with accompanying stripes and one green zombie with accompanying plaid. Probably 20 people commented on my mis-matched socks today so I had the chance to tell them about Downs Syndrome.

Coworkers did this,
One blue sock with green polka dots, other sock white with red, green and blue polka dots.
One sock horizontal rainbow striped, other sock vertical rainbow striped.
One sock Batman, other sock Robin.
One sock striped in various shades of orange, other sock striped in various shades of yellow.
One sock rainbow plaid, the other sock rainbow striped.

We Rock our Socks for Downs Syndrome.

I only own white socks. Well, some are off-white but I just need to wash them. :) Socks idea though is what many of us did as boys, wear em on your arms like superheroes :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back