Dow reaches another 13 month high

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks ended higher Wednesday, with the Dow industrials finishing at a 13-month high for third straight day, after investor optimism rose on the expectation that interest rates would remain low for some time.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 44 points, or 0.4%, to end at 10,291.26. The S&P 500 (SPX) ticked up 6 points, or 0.5%, to close at 1,098.51, and the Nasdaq composite (COMP) rose 16 points, or 0.7%, to settle at 2,166.90.

CNNMoney.com Market Report - Nov. 11, 2009

Funny, ain't it, that the market is back up after only a year? It would be amazing if someone had predicted that, like by saying, "It's just part of a natural economic cycle. It won't last long." I wonder who said that. Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't use doom and gloom to sell my political agenda, like certain people in power.

Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks ended higher Wednesday, with the Dow industrials finishing at a 13-month high for third straight day, after investor optimism rose on the expectation that interest rates would remain low for some time.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 44 points, or 0.4%, to end at 10,291.26. The S&P 500 (SPX) ticked up 6 points, or 0.5%, to close at 1,098.51, and the Nasdaq composite (COMP) rose 16 points, or 0.7%, to settle at 2,166.90.

Penny candy costs a dollar but the dow is up 10%.........:clap2:

In the same way I told the Bush supporters not to trumpet the market's decline in February because they'd wind up looking stupid, I'd be cautious trumpeting the market's ascent to Obama supporters.

In the same way I told the Bush supporters not to trumpet the market's decline in February because they'd wind up looking stupid, I'd be cautious trumpeting the market's ascent to Obama supporters.

Confidence in the market is good for all of us.

Who said anything about Obama?

The market is not effected by the previous day, it's effect by the previous year more than anything .... so ... um yeah ...

Confidence in the market is good for all of us.

I agree.

But the market is often moody and ephemeral. I don't much stock in it over the short-term as a barometer of most things economic, except at inflection points perhaps.

Who said anything about Obama?

Really, would you have posted this if Bush were still President? Really?

As a barometer it is just one of many things, but it is important.

It puzzles me that we still follow the DOW, which is a summary of just 30 companies, when thousands of companies are traded on the exchanges. The DOW represents the obsolete mindset that a handful of massive corporations form the core of the US economy.

It puzzles me that we still follow the DOW, which is a summary of just 30 companies, when thousands of companies are traded on the exchanges. The DOW represents the obsolete mindset that a handful of massive corporations form the core of the US economy.

Chris likes it when huge corporation get richer.

Chris likes it when huge corporation get richer.

What's good for GM is good for America.

The market is not effected by the previous day, it's effect by the previous year more than anything .... so ... um yeah ...

So when we almost went into a depression last November, it was because of who was in charge a year prior to that?

I agree with you then.

Its not. Its an anachronism. I pay attention to it only because everyone else pays attention to it. But when I commit money to an index, it is usually to the S&P 500 or the Russell 2000.

:lol::lol::lol:--Oh my God--does this mean we're all rich & unemployed?---::lol:

This was my contention, you just worded it much better than I did. It is obsolete and not a good measure of "success" for anyone.

And It's at what? 60 to 70% of what it was when the Dems took over congress in 2007. Again get back to me when it is up over 13k. Oh and it's driven by extraordinarily low interst rates that are going to have to be ratcheted up quickly when inflation due to an ever weakening dollar sets in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back