Dove season opens Sept 1

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I'm a hunter and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment but why kill doves? You can't get more than a 1/2 oz of meat off the dead carcass and they aren't a pest. I like doves and as a matter of fact I have been feeding an injured dove. A recent brochure indicates that Cabela's and Bass Pro shops will set you up with everything you need for about $500 to blast those critters off the high wire lines with #9 shot that won't hurt the wires. The dirty little secret is that doves have become living skeet and somehow that offends me in my old age..

My first time hunting was in Pennsylvania for deer. After getting one in my sights, I couldn’t pull the trigger. lol

I'm a hunter and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment but why kill doves? You can't get more than a 1/2 oz of meat off the dead carcass and they aren't a pest. I like doves and as a matter of fact I have been feeding an injured dove. A recent brochure indicates that Cabela's and Bass Pro shops will set you up with everything you need for about $500 to blast those critters off the high wire lines with #9 shot that won't hurt the wires. The dirty little secret is that doves have become living skeet and somehow that offends me in my old age..

This morning, my foreman, who is very much into all sorts of hunting, made mention of dove season. I didn't say anything, but I found it a bit disturbing. Objectively, I have no objection to hunting, as long as it is done for food, but I am used to thinking of certain animals as pets, rather than prey, and the idea of intentionally harming them disturbs me. Doves are among those animals. In fact, I have one as a pet.

This is Ava. My wife found her on our doorstep on a cold winter night, back in December of 2002. She was badly injured, and cold, and hungry. We weren't sure she'd survive, but we took her in, and did the best we could to care for her. She's still with us, more than fifteen years later.

Dove is delicious. And the Eurasian collared dove is an invasive species. Kill at will.
Ohhh.... And nobody buys into your phony pro hunting/2A stance. If you were. You'd know this...

Last edited:

This morning, my foreman, who is very much into all sorts of hunting, made mention of dove season. I didn't say anything, but I found it a bit disturbing. Objectively, I have no objection to hunting, as long as it is done for food, but I am used to thinking of certain animals as pets, rather than prey, and the idea of intentionally harming them disturbs me. Doves are among those animals. In fact, I have one as a pet.

This is Ava. My wife found her on our doorstep on a cold winter night, back in December of 2002. She was badly injured, and cold, and hungry. We weren't sure she'd survive, but we took her in, and did the best we could to care for her. She's still with us, more than fifteen years later.

Keeping native wildlife is often illegal unless the proper permitting, and inspections have been completed. And it is certainly illegal to keep game animals without proper liscencing.

Last edited:

Keeping native wildlife is often illegal unless the proper permitting, and inspections have been completed.
Yeah we get the message but it's obvious that rescuing wildlife is different from "keeping wildlife" We ain't talking about feeding a freaking mountain lion. It's ironic that you can legally blast a pair of doves off a telephone line and brag about your skeet shooting ability but you might get a summons of you feed an injured bird. It's not "morning dove"by the way it's mourning dove from their call.

Keeping native wildlife is often illegal unless the proper permitting, and inspections have been completed.
Yeah we get the message but it's obvious that rescuing wildlife is different from "keeping wildlife" We ain't talking about feeding a freaking mountain lion. It's ironic that you can legally blast a pair of doves off a telephone line and brag about your skeet shooting but you might get a summons of you feed an injured bird. It's not "morning dove" it's mourning dove from their call.
It's the law. It's being injured offers no sanctuary from prosecution.

Yeah we get the message but it's obvious that rescuing wildlife is different from "keeping wildlife" We ain't talking about feeding a freaking mountain lion. It's ironic that you can legally blast a pair of doves off a telephone line and brag about your skeet shooting ability but you might get a summons of you feed an injured bird. It's not "morning dove"by the way it's mourning dove from their call.
I never said "morning dove". Did you pull that out of your ass along with your line about being a hunter, and pro 2A? You likely surprised your self when you just looked it up, learning that you've been spelling wrong all these years you've been "hunting". Lol. The other poster didn't mention "morning dove" either. Only you...

Keeping native wildlife is often illegal unless the proper permitting, and inspections have been completed. And it is certainly illegal to keep game animals without proper liscencing [sic].

Shortly after finding this bird, I emailed a picture of it to a local bird expert, who informed me that this particular variety of dove is not found in the wild in that area, but is a variety that is commonly kept as a domesticated pet. Most likely, Ava was someone else's pet dove who escaped, and learned the hard way that she was not equipped to survive in the wild.

Keeping native wildlife is often illegal unless the proper permitting, and inspections have been completed. And it is certainly illegal to keep game animals without proper liscencing [sic].

Shortly after finding this bird, I emailed a picture of it to a local bird expert, who informed me that this particular variety of dove is not found in the wild in that area, but is a variety that is commonly kept as a domesticated pet. Most likely, Ava was someone else's pet dove who escaped, and learned the hard way that she was not equipped to survive in the wild.
Sure you did. I don’t personally care. It’s not my ass. But it’s something you ought to consider before telling folks on the internet, and showing pictures in order to bolster validity. All risk, no gain...

My wife and I rescued a red tailed hawk along side a busy road. It obviously had an injured wing and may have been hit by a car. It was surprisingly docile wrapped in a towel for the trip to the wildlife rescue center within driving distance. They accepted the wounded hawk without question and gave me a number to call about the prognosis later in the week. I thought they would keep the hawk somehow even if it could no longer fly but they put it down.
Kill at will. Fun to shoot. I rest my case.
You forgot the yum-yum part.
Being the “life long hunter” that he is; I’m sure he knows all about it...:113:
Buy a happy meal and save yourself the trouble of outfitting with a $400 shotgun, a safari jacket and a bird decoy to shoot a pair of doves off a telephone wire. The critters probably end up with so much shot in them that a yum yum visit to the dentist would be the next adventure.

Opening day...Not much action except around 4.00 I heard three quick shotgun booms. You only get a single shot at a living skeet bird so I expect the great hunter managed to pop a pair of doves on a wire.

Forum List

Back