Doubts about getting a cat.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
If I am doubtful...is that a sign I am not ready for another furkid?

I got an email from someone at the pound after I contacted them about adopting a cat..MAYBE. They said I need to keep the cat locked up for 2 weeks until it knows this is home. And when it does learn this is home, I can let it outside but I MUST bring it in at dusk to "keep it safe from Coyotes". I have a 6 foot fence. I also am surrounded by people with very large dogs in their own yards. Plus I have doggie doors everywhere...so if I brought it in that means I would have to lock the doggie door to outside..which means the dogs cannot go to the bathroom in the middle of the night if they are so inclined. And that also means I would need a catbox. I have had 2 cats over the past 30 years. Two. And they did NOT use litter boxes. They went outside to potty. So now I am all hesitant to go further with this because these recommendations are not what I want to do. Does this mean I would be a bad cat mom and maybe I shouldn't do this?

Just talked to hubby. He said he doesn't really wanna deal with another furkid but would go along with it if I insisted.

I changed my mind. If I am supposed to have another critter, it will find ME. So...no cat.

I wonder if they give that advice/rules to potential pet adopters? It's kind of a turn off.
Of course i could ignore that advice, but..it was enough to make me rethink the whole thing. I feel good about changing my mind, anyway. I don't want the stress of loving another animal that depends on me and me not being the healthiest person any more. And the cost of vets, persnickety on what they will eat, worrying about them.

No. I don't need another furbaby. I have two still. And the new roomie is moving in Sept 1st with her little dog. That's enough.

I wonder if they give that advice/rules to potential pet adopters? It's kind of a turn off.
Of course i could ignore that advice, but..it was enough to make me rethink the whole thing. I feel good about changing my mind, anyway. I don't want the stress of loving another animal that depends on me and me not being the healthiest person any more. And the cost of vets, persnickety on what they will eat, worrying about them.

No. I don't need another furbaby. I have two still. And the new roomie is moving in Sept 1st with her little dog. That's enough.

That's the key: if you feel good about your final decision, then it's the right decision.

Cats will climb 6 foot fences and get out of your yard. You have to keep the dog doors open, so it will get out at night and may 'travel.' With coyotes and lots of other dogs in the area, plus whatever traffic there is, the cat is not safe. You could try it and just let it be an indoor-outdoor cat and see what happens. It could work out fine. I would listen to the advice from the pound and also use my own common sense to make a decision.

I used to let my cats roam, but now I realize they have a longer life span if they are indoors, as long as there are dangers out there for them. One of my cats was killed by a car. Another got a gum disease from something she ate while roaming, and it was incurable. She had to have a medication the rest of her life but eventually died of it. The last cat I had was indoor/outdoor for about 9 years, then he lived inside with a terrace being his outdoor place. He lived to be 16.

There are five strays in my neighborhood. I put out 2% milk and a bowl of food everyday. I can pet all but one cat even though these are feral ones for the most part. Some mornings there are no cats, some days two. I have had all five once or twice. Then we have to make little dining areas, so they don't fight.

There are five strays in my neighborhood. I put out 2% milk and a bowl of food everyday. I can pet all but one cat even though these are feral ones for the most part. Some mornings there are no cats, some days two. I have had all five once or twice. Then we have to make little dining areas, so they don't fight.

You're not doing the cats any favors by putting out milk, cats don't digest the lactose very well, upsets their stomachs, gives them diarrhea. They'd do better if you just gave them water.

Cats and Milk: Lactose Intolerance and Other Dietary Concerns

If you're putting out dry food for them, also not doing them any favors. Cats can't digest the carbs (read the label, dry cat food is crap, mostly corn and "by-products"). Good canned food is fine, or fresh chicken/beef.

http://www.catinfo.org/felineobesity.php

If possible, try to trap the cats and have them neutered spayed ... or your 'five' will soon be 'fifty'.

Cats are a pain. I will miss the two I had and have no more.
One lived to 23. The last one was 11 years old. Both were indoor/outdoor cats.
Keeping them locked up is about as bad as getting a dog and keeping it chained up to a tree and a dog house.

Cats are a pain. I will miss the two I had and have no more.
One lived to 23. The last one was 11 years old. Both were indoor/outdoor cats.
Keeping them locked up is about as bad as getting a dog and keeping it chained up to a tree and a dog house.

Clearly you're not a cat person! :)

Uh, no. Where'd you get that idea from? They have an entire house to roam in, people to play with, cozy places to snooze, food, water, safety, they live longer ... sounds pretty good to me.

Get a dog.

Cats a for people who really want a dog but don't want the bother.

Let's face it, as much as I love dogs, they are a lot of work.

Yeah, but look at that face...

IMG_0403_zps2a9dabc0.jpg

I am a dog person. The two cats I had chose me by finding me. I loved them both. Pretties was my last cat. Unless another one finds me. I won't go looking though.

You're not doing the cats any favors by putting out milk, cats don't digest the lactose very well, upsets their stomachs, gives them diarrhea. They'd do better if you just gave them water.

Cats and Milk: Lactose Intolerance and Other Dietary Concerns

If you're putting out dry food for them, also not doing them any favors. Cats can't digest the carbs (read the label, dry cat food is crap, mostly corn and "by-products"). Good canned food is fine, or fresh chicken/beef.

http://www.catinfo.org/felineobesity.php

If possible, try to trap the cats and have them neutered spayed ... or your 'five' will soon be 'fifty'.

Actually these cats ahve no problem with digesting milk. I think that is crap science personally. Also, I have had several cats live over 16 years on dry food, so I don't get that either. These are not my cats, they can eat where ever they find food, yet its my house. They are being helped out in the wild, whatever happens happens.

Forum List

Back