DoubleCrossed! and I Love It.

He deserved just exactly what was dished to him.. he thought he was fucking over the Republicans and instead,, :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

What tough guy responses? You mean not checking with that fucktard Reid before he opens his mouth? I wouldn't. Then again, I consider people that support the likes of Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy, Kerry and Murtha to be blind partisan hacks, stupid or both.

What you're saying is Specter won't blindly follow along with what the party says like the rest of the Democrat sheeple.

I feel the same way about people who support Republican policy even if they claim they are Indes.

I don't think it's supporting republican policy, it's more the ideology of being more liberal or being more conservative. I'm one of those "Indies."

So? Are you an Inde who mainly supports Republicans? I haven't been here very long but that is how I see Gunny. Also, it seems everyone to the left of Tom Delay is a partisan hack in his eyes.

Arlan was a sucker.

Why should the Dems give him anything?

No, he was simply assuming too much. He has Obama going to bat for him, what more does he want? You all are trying very hard to make it seem like Arlan was being seduced. He wasn't, he was about to lose the primary and the Democrats helped him stay afloat.

The Brits kept their bargain with Bendict Arnold, but he was treated as a pariah. Nobody likes traitors. Even the side that accepts them. They are used for what they are worth but there is never any trust.

That's what I thought when he announced the switch.

Do people ever switch to the Republicans? I bet it's less than those who go independent or go Democrat. Something about being in Washington...

Here's a hell of a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_switching_in_the_United_States

Apparently, if wikipedia is to be trusted, Arlen Specter switched from Democrat to Republican in 1965.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about people who support Republican policy even if they claim they are Indes.

I don't think it's supporting republican policy, it's more the ideology of being more liberal or being more conservative. I'm one of those "Indies."

So? Are you an Inde who mainly supports Republicans? I haven't been here very long but that is how I see Gunny. Also, it seems everyone to the left of Tom Delay is a partisan hack in his eyes.

I can't speak for Gunny, but for myself, I am conservative. Neither party fits my beliefs, so I go with the one that will do the least amount of damage with my views. I used to vote basically for both parties...but now I'm forced to vote more republican than democrat.

My Grandfather once told me to always vote for your wallet. I never forgot that.

Arlen Specter gets his commuppence...
Many Democrats have called the deal to switch Specter to the D. side engineered by Biden and Reid "boneheaded".

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, Specter said that Majority Leader Harry Reid had promised him that he would keep his seniority.

But how could Reid speak for all the other Senate Democrats who might be called on to give up an important committee assignment so that Specter could take up their slots?

But soon after the switch, Reid read a resolution on the Senate floor Tuesday making Specter the most junior Democrat on four of his five committee assignments. That, after Reid allegedly promised Specter that he would retain his seniority if he switched from the Republican to the Democratic party.

“Sen. (Harry) Reid assured me that I would keep my committee assignments and that I would have the same seniority as if I had been elected as a Democrat in 1980,” Specter said. “It was understood that the issue of subcommittee chairmanships would not be decided until after the 2010 election. Some members of the caucus have raised concerns about my seniority, so the caucus will vote on my seniority at the same time subcommittee chairmanships are confirmed after the 2010 election. I am confident my seniority will be maintained under the arrangement I worked out with Sen. Reid.”

Many Democrats have called the deal to switch Specter to the D. side engineered by Biden and Reid "boneheaded".

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, Specter said that Majority Leader Harry Reid had promised him that he would keep his seniority.

But how could Reid speak for all the other Senate Democrats who might be called on to give up an important committee assignment so that Specter could take up their slots?

But soon after the switch, Reid read a resolution on the Senate floor Tuesday making Specter the most junior Democrat on four of his five committee assignments. That, after Reid allegedly promised him that he would retain his seniority if he switched from the Republican to the Democratic party.

“Sen. (Harry) Reid assured me that I would keep my committee assignments and that I would have the same seniority as if I had been elected as a Democrat in 1980,” Specter said. “It was understood that the issue of subcommittee chairmanships would not be decided until after the 2010 election. Some members of the caucus have raised concerns about my seniority, so the caucus will vote on my seniority at the same time subcommittee chairmanships are confirmed after the 2010 election. I am confident my seniority will be maintained under the arrangement I worked out with Sen. Reid.”

Well biden IS a bonehead, so they may be right.

Well biden IS a bonehead, so they may be right.

Specter will soon be reminded that on the D. side they do not countenance dissent in their ranks like the R. side does. Democrats who came over to the R's said they were amazed at the lattitude that had as compared to being a Democrat. Actually that is what has already happened. The Dems liked Arlen plenty well enough when he was a disloyal Republican, but his vote on cardcheck and his comment about Coleman are problem for him. If finally Coleman retains his seat, the super-majority by the Democrats would not stand:

(From the Washington Post) "Specter joked about how Norm Coleman could possibly win his legal contest and reclaim his Minnesota Senate seat, assuring there would still be at least one Jewish Republican in the chamber. Specter backtracked from those comments in an interview with Congressional Quarterly today,

"In the swirl of moving from one caucus to another, I have to get used to my new teammates," he told CQ. "I'm ordinarily pretty correct in what I say. I've made a career of being precise. I conclusively misspoke."

Last edited:
I knew this would happen. I saw several democrats having a cow over Spector getting senority as part of his "deal",on a few news shows.

Oh well, he got what he asked for. Now he can deal with the rabid lefty loons he sold his soul to and go away...

Democrats welcomed him with open arms. He needs to shut up and go to work.

Puh-lease. Doing him a favor? He's too far right for the Democrats. They don't want him. They want his vote in the Senate. Nothing more. As is obvious. Sit in the corner, shut up, and vote how we tell you.

Well, that's a conundrum. I'm sure he's feeling betrayed, so he may now vote against the dems. But if he does that, he may not get his seniority back next term. But without seniority, he may not get re-elected. :eek:

Very prophetic, except he brought it on himself.

I can't speak for Gunny, but for myself, I am conservative. Neither party fits my beliefs, so I go with the one that will do the least amount of damage with my views. I used to vote basically for both parties...but now I'm forced to vote more republican than democrat.

My Grandfather once told me to always vote for your wallet. I never forgot that.

So you aren't an Inde. Not that it matters to me, I don't run around calling anyone who disagrees with me a partisan hack.

How did voting for Republicans help your wallet in the early to mid 2000s? I kept my job and got a raise every year but I don't attribute that to successful economic policy during that time. Iow, I'm sure your grandfather is a very smart guy but you can't rely on government to make sure your wallet is stuffed with money.

So you aren't an Inde. Not that it matters to me, I don't run around calling anyone who disagrees with me a partisan hack.

How did voting for Republicans help your wallet in the early to mid 2000s? I kept my job and got a raise every year but I don't attribute that to successful economic policy during that time. Iow, I'm sure your grandfather is a very smart guy but you can't rely on government to make sure your wallet is stuffed with money.

Sarah, in the 2000 election...there was Al Gore, and Bush...Al Gore scared me. There was something just not right with that fellow. In 2004, there was John Kerry, and Bush. I didn't trust Kerry from the Viet Nam War years, he was just self serving pompous individual. Once again the dems left me no choice but to vote for Bush. I was not a big fan of Bush, he spent way too much, and I wouldn't have pulled the trigger in the Iraq war. But like I said in my other post, Bush would have the least amount of damages to my view on politics.
During Bush's first 6 years, the inflation level was low, along with unemployment. The economy was humming along in appearance. Bush had concerns about the housing market, but when he did mention it on several occasions, it fell on deaf ears. He wasn't the worst president in 100 years, as some have claimed on this board.
What my Grandfather meant was that the more money you give the government the more they will want. So vote for the person who is going to tax the least.
I'm still an Independant....but the dems are going to have to put up somebody other than these big spenders, and socially motivated politicians

Last edited:
Arlan was a sucker.

No, he was simply assuming too much. He has Obama going to bat for him, what more does he want? You all are trying very hard to make it seem like Arlan was being seduced. He wasn't, he was about to lose the primary and the Democrats helped him stay afloat.

Yeah, the hell with what his constituents wanted and to hell with the people who elected him and he was supposed to represent, it's all about keeping the power, right? And you advocate for politicians like this? :lol: Pathetic.

Here's some gossip from Minnesota. I'm new here, so if I make a mistake and need a link or something, please let me know.

I better set this up. As you know, last November Al Franken ran for the Senate seat held by Norm Coleman, and Coleman won by more than 600 votes, IIRC. That meant there would be a challenge - and we know how Democrats count votes. Not only is our secretary of state, who supervised the recount - Mark Richie - a Dem, he was affiliated with Acorn.

When Franken hired the lawyer that enabled Christine Gregoire (sp) to defeat Dino Rossi for governor of Washington - after multiple counts - we knew what we were in for. Every time a change in the count was announced, it went in Franken's favor. That just isn't the way things work in real life.

Anyway, Franken's team has cheated, and put him ahead a couple hundred votes; but he hasn't been seated. Coleman has it tied up in court, so Minnesota only has one Senator right now - Amy Klobuchar, a former prosecutor who is in her first term.

The rumor is that Obama is considering her for the vacant Supreme Court seat. If she's nominated and confirmed, that leaves her Senate seat open - and as I understand it our Governor, Tim Pawlenty, would choose someone to finish out her term.

Tim is a Republican - and I think there's a good possibility he'd choose Norm Coleman to fill that vacancy. Then, Franken would be seated, and so would Coleman.

Strange world, huh?

Here's some gossip from Minnesota. I'm new here, so if I make a mistake and need a link or something, please let me know.

I better set this up. As you know, last November Al Franken ran for the Senate seat held by Norm Coleman, and Coleman won by more than 600 votes, IIRC. That meant there would be a challenge - and we know how Democrats count votes. Not only is our secretary of state, who supervised the recount - Mark Richie - a Dem, he was affiliated with Acorn.

When Franken hired the lawyer that enabled Christine Gregoire (sp) to defeat Dino Rossi for governor of Washington - after multiple counts - we knew what we were in for. Every time a change in the count was announced, it went in Franken's favor. That just isn't the way things work in real life.

Anyway, Franken's team has cheated, and put him ahead a couple hundred votes; but he hasn't been seated. Coleman has it tied up in court, so Minnesota only has one Senator right now - Amy Klobuchar, a former prosecutor who is in her first term.

The rumor is that Obama is considering her for the vacant Supreme Court seat. If she's nominated and confirmed, that leaves her Senate seat open - and as I understand it our Governor, Tim Pawlenty, would choose someone to finish out her term.

Tim is a Republican - and I think there's a good possibility he'd choose Norm Coleman to fill that vacancy. Then, Franken would be seated, and so would Coleman.

Strange world, huh?

dayuuuum!

There is now some quetion as to whether or not Specter will even be free of a Democratic challenger in the primaries. And if the economy is not demostrably turning around by 2010 as seems almost a certainty at this point, unless you're Chris, who apparently either can't or won't read the writing on the wall, A lot of states are likely to lose Democratic Senators and Representative, and exactly how many blue dog Dems are going to keep their mouths shut and vote they way Pelosi and Read tell them to vote if things continue to deteriorate.

Last edited:
Arlan was a sucker.

Yeah, the hell with what his constituents wanted and to hell with the people who elected him and he was supposed to represent, it's all about keeping the power, right? And you advocate for politicians like this? :lol: Pathetic.

It remains to be seen what his constituents want. Of course it is about keeping power, don't you know how congress works? Why do you think Republicans want power back so badly? Republicans would do the same thing, no matter who wanted to jump ship.

Forum List

Back