Double Standard In North Carolina - And Everywhere Else

GotZoom said:
Looks like he was awaiting trial.
Not to be whatever, but humor me for a second.

Duke players have charges fabricated against them. One of them is demonized because he was arrested in DC for assaulting someone he thought was gay, and the condition of his sentencing was that it wouldn't go on his record so long as he doesn't have any other arrests. And I'm guessing most here would say that his arrest for assault in DC is pretty immaterial to his involvement (or lack thereof) in the rape case.

But then this other kid is accused of a drug charge, and then while out on bail is again accused of murder. And now it sounds like some think his drug arrest is completely relavent in when it comes to the murder case.

Granted, murder is worse than rape, but not by very much.

Do people want a lower bond for the accused rapist, or a higher bond for the accused murderer? The accused rapist has plead guilty to assault already, while the accused murder hasn't plead or been convicted yet.

The ClayTaurus said:
Not to be whatever, but humor me for a second.

Duke players have charges fabricated against them. One of them is demonized because he was arrested in DC for assaulting someone he thought was gay, and the condition of his sentencing was that it wouldn't go on his record so long as he doesn't have any other arrests. And I'm guessing most here would say that his arrest for assault in DC is pretty immaterial to his involvement (or lack thereof) in the rape case.

But then this other kid is accused of a drug charge, and then while out on bail is again accused of murder. And now it sounds like some think his drug arrest is completely relavent in when it comes to the murder case.

Granted, murder is worse than rape, but not by very much.

Do people want a lower bond for the accused rapist, or a higher bond for the accused murderer? The accused rapist has plead guilty to assault already, while the accused murder hasn't plead or been convicted yet.

There wasn't a guilty plea for the assault:

Steven McCool, Finnerty's attorney in the D.C. case, told ABC News Finnerty had been charged with "simple assault," a misdemeanor. McCool reached an agreement with the U.S. attorney to have Finnerty placed in a "diversion program," he said, and the charge would be expunged if Finnerty completed 25 hours of community service and did not get arrested again.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=1855161&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

GotZoom said:
There wasn't a guilty plea for the assault:

Steven McCool, Finnerty's attorney in the D.C. case, told ABC News Finnerty had been charged with "simple assault," a misdemeanor. McCool reached an agreement with the U.S. attorney to have Finnerty placed in a "diversion program," he said, and the charge would be expunged if Finnerty completed 25 hours of community service and did not get arrested again.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=1855161&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
An agreement=culpability. He copped to the crime. Unless innocence is now rewarded with community service...

GotZoom said:
At least she is getting free college tuition out of it; courtesy of Jesse Jackson.

I wonder if that offer will stand once it is determined that she lied (if that is how it ends up).

Of course it will. Jesse Jackson's base is retarded, and he loses less face by claiming that she didn't lie but that the white man set her up and knocked her down than by admitting that he backed a loser.

I, personally, don't know what to think in this case. There're too many variables.

Forum List

Back