''city'' politicians
this is basic, grade school English
I ain't got
didn't do nothing
ain't got no
I'm not going to tell no ------
etc
wtheck?

Meh. It depends to some extent on dialect. Many languages use multiple negatives emphatically, to bolster the negative value. We use it mathematically; one cancels out the other.

Besides which to this day we still hear people say they "could care less" when they actually mean the exact opposite. That's far more egregious.

So a linguistics professor was lecturing -- "In Russian, a double negative is a stronger negative. In English a double negative makes a positive. But there is no language in which a double positive makes a negative".

From the back of the room some wag remarked, "yeah right".

Meh. It depends to some extent on dialect. Many languages use multiple negatives emphatically, to bolster the negative value. We use it mathematically; one cancels out the other.

Besides which to this day we still hear people say they "could care less" when they actually mean the exact opposite. That's far more egregious.

So a linguistics professor was lecturing -- "In Russian, a double negative is a stronger negative. In English a double negative makes a positive. But there is no language in which a double positive makes a negative".

From the back of the room some wag remarked, "yeah right".
I know a Russian at work, I'll ask him
although it's hard to understand him with his accent

dialects are interesting ....I can't even understand some people

People also say "I got" instead of "I have"
my daughter read a lot when she was younger and is an honor/straight A student
she was one of the best, if not the best, in her class
I read all the time when I was younger
the teachers at her school said big readers do well in English class--this is just logical
they know proper English from reading

Forum List

Back