CDZ Dostoevsky and the death penalty

I

Indofred

“You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners”.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Whilst that might very well have held true in the 1800s, I believe it needs an update to, "You can judge a society by how its criminals treat it".

It is my humble opinion that there is little or no respect for the law in many countries, and that is leading to a breakdown in society.
We see calls for the death penalty to be scrapped, but mass murders, including drug dealers, plying their trade with the knowledge some wet liberal item will try to get them off what they deserve.
Such people have no respect for society, thus should not live in it, or have their lives paid for by it.

That in mind, I call for a return to the cheapest, most cost effective ways to end these pointless lives.
Guillotine or firing squad seem to fit the bill.

For some of the really nasty crimes such as rape or wife beating, a return to public flogging is in order.
Seeing a wife beater crying like a little girl would show him up as the cowardly scum he is.
Bet he wouldn't do it again.

Remembering this is clean debate zone, what are your opinions?

In 1849 he was arrested for his involvement in the Petrashevsky Circle, a secret society of liberal utopians that also functioned as a literary discussion group; they were particularly interested in the works of Charles Fourier.[3] He and other members were condemned to death, but at the last moment, a note from Tsar Nicholas I was delivered to the scene of the firing squad, commuting the sentence to ten years' hard labour in Siberia. His seizures, which may have started in 1839, increased in frequency there, and he was diagnosed with epilepsy. On his release, he was forced to serve as a soldier, before being discharged on grounds of ill health.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

We see calls for the death penalty to be scrapped, but mass murders, including drug dealers, plying their trade with the knowledge some wet liberal item will try to get them off what they deserve

What is a wet liberal item?

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Whilst that might very well have held true in the 1800s, I believe it needs an update to, "You can judge a society by how its criminals treat it".

It is my humble opinion that there is little or no respect for the law in many countries, and that is leading to a breakdown in society.
We see calls for the death penalty to be scrapped, but mass murders, including drug dealers, plying their trade with the knowledge some wet liberal item will try to get them off what they deserve.
Such people have no respect for society, thus should not live in it, or have their lives paid for by it.

That in mind, I call for a return to the cheapest, most cost effective ways to end these pointless lives.

For some of the really nasty crimes such as rape or wife beating, a return to public flogging is in order.
Seeing a wife beater crying like a little girl would show him up as the cowardly scum he is.

One of his finest novels, semi-autobiographical in nature, was his "The House of the Dead" (Z'mrt veho Domu - in Czech) and goes directly to the core of what you say about how a society can be judged by it's treatment of prisoners.

We see calls for the death penalty to be scrapped, but mass murders, including drug dealers, plying their trade with the knowledge some wet liberal item will try to get them off what they deserve

Perhaps it doesn't translate to US English.
A wet is someone with soft view.
A liberal is clear.
An item being used instead of a reference to a male body part or other insulting term.

What is commonly referred to as a liberal on this forum.

The left leaning thinkers, in my opinion, are in error when they oppose the death sentence.
This opinion is arrived at because criminals don't respect society.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

One of his finest novels, semi-autobiographical in nature, was his "The House of the Dead" (Z'mrt veho Domu - in Czech) and goes directly to the core of what you say about how a society can be judged by it's treatment of prisoners.

But how does the lack of respect by criminals for society affect that ideal?
Break into a house, fall off the roof, then sue the owner.
We've seen such news, and that makes me think society has gone way to far left.

A liberal is clear.
An item being used instead of a reference to a male body part or other insulting term.

The left leaning thinkers, in my opinion, are in error when they oppose the death sentence.
Even the ones that turn out to be innocent?

A liberal is clear.

Those tend to be old cases, before the advent of modern DNA technology.
In the past, that could well have been an issue, but far less so now.

So the country that truly loves its citizens is the country without prisons at all? I think Dostoevsky's words were important hundred years ago but not now.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Cool thread.

Philosophic issue.

First point, you should distinguish "criminals" from "prisoners", I think the two are not similar 100% of the cases.

First point I want to make, is about the law itself. If people don't respect it in general, it's probably because the law is to callous or disrespecting, doesn't stand with public protection, and they cannot stand the restriction, therefore they break it. The law is first a creation of the public it represents, and if it doesn't protect or protects the public, then it shouldn't be in place at all.

If those are only certain individuals who break it, then against those people one should take action.

You speak of death penalty. Ok then, death penalty, what for? in order to prevent people from breaking the law, scaring them, or make criminals tink twice? In America, it doesn't seem to stop people from mass-murdering each other for ridiculous reasons. Personally I think that free-guns thing causes a lot of killings, and penalty law doesn't help much. both those put together just helps demographic problems, to be sarcastic, nothing more.

How can you be certain that once you sentence someone to death, you did the right thing? what do you do, if God forbids, you discover one day he was innocent? can you turn time back? it's very dangerous.

A liberal is clear.

Those tend to be old cases, before the advent of modern DNA technology.
In the past, that could well have been an issue, but far less so now.

Forensic evidence can lie as well, don't confuse yourself.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

But how does the lack of respect by criminals for society affect that ideal?
Break into a house, fall off the roof, then sue the owner.
We've seen such news, and that makes me think society has gone way to far left.

In that case, it's up to the judges to give those kind of people the boots, and fine them.

Forum List

Back