Doomsday Preppers

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Who else catches this show?
If you are not familiar with what the show is - it is a show that highlites 2-3 "preppers" each episode. Showing how they are "prepping" for their particular belief in a doomsday event.
From storing food and weapons, "bug out" facilities that are sometimes quite large underground complexes with running water and solar energy.

It is a neat show. I am not a prepper per say, although I would estimate we have about 3-4 weeks worth of food at any given time and 2-3 cases of bottled water. But that should be just common sense given natural disasters, snowed-in, possible longer term power outages ect.

At any rate - what do some of you think about the show?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6UA_Zs3ho]Doomsday Preppers - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone dumb enough to go on National TV and give away their safe house, the fact they have large stores of food and water and the ability to produce electricity in the case of the "end" deserves the mobs that show up and take it away from them.

Anyone dumb enough to go on National TV and give away their safe house, the fact they have large stores of food and water and the ability to produce electricity in the case of the "end" deserves the mobs that show up and take it away from them.

Haha...my son and I have said this all along.
A few of them only showed the inside of the bug out...but the ones that have everything in their homes?? The one guy even showed the location in his house of his significant gun collection in a cabinet.

oooo i saw the one where the girl is bugging out to her stashed vehicle...she had a 40 lb pack to walk 12 miles....my first thought was that damned pack would be stashed with vehicle....move fast and light....water and pistol....and she was gonna shot her cats..damn that was cold

I haven't watched this one, but I probably will check out an episode for laughs. The concept is not appealing to me any more than building a fall out shelter during the cold war appealed to me. While we do have a few days provisions on hand at any time--that is common sense especially in the winter--I just can't see stocking up a survival warehouse and holing up knowing my neighbors are beating on the door or sitting starving on my roof. I'll just take my chances with everybody else.

(And though it would tear my heart out, I could shoot our critters rather than watch them suffer or be kidnapped and butchered for food.)

I prepped after the 2000 takeover. I was beginning to at the event known as the Patriot "Act"
2004 was the gunshot starting the race.
I'll return some day, if the radiation levels aren't too high.
I really like Wyoming. Fantastic place.

I am still in hiding from the Y2K world collapse

Waiting for it to be safe again

Yeah...i think the same thing. Of course, most of those guys are armed like a military squad, so mob them at your own risk.

How do these people afford to do all this? My guess is they run up a ton of debt in doing so, which ironically makes them a big part of the problem that in many cases they are preparing for.

I dont think these people give a shit about (the ones that are prepping for an economic meltdown particularly) debt. They aren't part of the problem, they are playing the same gaem the govt. is playing. So while not being a solution, if economically we go to the shitter, money is going to be worthless and credit will mean squat. Provisions, survival gear, renewable power sources, etc...these are the more important items.

The thing I find hard is the folks who are stockpiling massive amounts of food with short term expire dates. That is just wasteful. I'm more of the opinion to have a lot of long date foods, like MREs and look to move fast to a place not here at all. Everyone sees it different I suppose...

Last edited:
Well if you feel those prepping for an economic meltdown are playing the same game as the Government, you made my point for me.

Not really. I'm not in debt, have contigency plans and believe the govt. is going to run us into the ground. It makes no difference how much debt a family accumulates if the govt. is on track to destroy the economy anyway. They may not be solving the problem, they're planning for it to be broken though. Not by their own fault either. using tools created is not the same as creating tools.

Eh, I think there is a difference between a contigency plan and these folks that are subjects of this show.
You say tomayto I say tomahto.

If you are not familiar with what the show is - it is a show that highlites 2-3 "preppers" each episode. Showing how they are "prepping" for their particular belief in a doomsday event.
From storing food and weapons, "bug out" facilities that are sometimes quite large underground complexes with running water and solar energy.

It is a neat show. I am not a prepper per say, although I would estimate we have about 3-4 weeks worth of food at any given time and 2-3 cases of bottled water. But that should be just common sense given natural disasters, snowed-in, possible longer term power outages ect.

Doomsday Preppers - YouTube

I've watched it....i'm a "mini-prepper"

I have a LOT of ammunition stored up that I could use as "trade" items and obviously for protection and I probably have 3-4 weeks of non-perishable food and water.....if SHTF it wont matter, we will have to learn to live off of nature again and a lot of people will die.

I haven't watched this one, but I probably will check out an episode for laughs. The concept is not appealing to me any more than building a fall out shelter during the cold war appealed to me. While we do have a few days provisions on hand at any time--that is common sense especially in the winter--I just can't see stocking up a survival warehouse and holing up knowing my neighbors are beating on the door or sitting starving on my roof. I'll just take my chances with everybody else.

(And though it would tear my heart out, I could shoot our critters rather than watch them suffer or be kidnapped and butchered for food.)

I got a better idea, encourage your neighbors to prep too. We've put away nearly a years supply of food and I'm encouraging all my friends and neighbors to do likewise. It only makes sense given what happened after Katrina and Sandy. Let's face it, we can't depend on our government we are going to have to depend on ourselves.

Doomsday Preppers - YouTube

I've learned a few things from some of the episodes but for the most part, I think the people on that show are a little off.

How do these people afford to do all this? My guess is they run up a ton of debt in doing so, which ironically makes them a big part of the problem that in many cases they are preparing for.

I don't know how "they" do it, but when we go shopping we always buy a little extra. 2 cans of coffee instead of one, and one goes into storage. I did spend some money on some long term storage food that was on sale at Costco but when you include the water barrel and everything that came with it, it was a bargain, plus you have all that food you can eat.

Our superWalmart sells long term storage food, my friend buys one bucket or one #10 can per month. It doesn't take long to have some food put away. Of course those spending all that money on guns and ammo, that I don't know how they can afford.

We used to be encouraged to have emergency supplies put away, now they call them preppers and put them on the terrorist watch list. I don't understand.

I dont think these people give a shit about (the ones that are prepping for an economic meltdown particularly) debt. They aren't part of the problem, they are playing the same gaem the govt. is playing. So while not being a solution, if economically we go to the shitter, money is going to be worthless and credit will mean squat. Provisions, survival gear, renewable power sources, etc...these are the more important items.

The thing I find hard is the folks who are stockpiling massive amounts of food with short term expire dates. That is just wasteful. I'm more of the opinion to have a lot of long date foods, like MREs and look to move fast to a place not here at all. Everyone sees it different I suppose...

It's called "rotating". Many people did this after the great depression. They bought far more food than they could eat but they would rotate it so that the oldest got used first.

My first thought when I watched one episode is these people must have lots of spare cash and exceptional hoarding orientations.

Forum List

Back