Doomsday Preppers

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by iamwhatiseem, Mar 13, 2012.

1. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Who else catches this show?
    If you are not familiar with what the show is - it is a show that highlites 2-3 "preppers" each episode. Showing how they are "prepping" for their particular belief in a doomsday event.
    From storing food and weapons, "bug out" facilities that are sometimes quite large underground complexes with running water and solar energy.

It is a neat show. I am not a prepper per say, although I would estimate we have about 3-4 weeks worth of food at any given time and 2-3 cases of bottled water. But that should be just common sense given natural disasters, snowed-in, possible longer term power outages ect.

At any rate - what do some of you think about the show?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6UA_Zs3ho]Doomsday Preppers - YouTube[/ame]

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Anyone dumb enough to go on National TV and give away their safe house, the fact they have large stores of food and water and the ability to produce electricity in the case of the "end" deserves the mobs that show up and take it away from them.

3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Haha...my son and I have said this all along.
    A few of them only showed the inside of the bug out...but the ones that have everything in their homes?? The one guy even showed the location in his house of his significant gun collection in a cabinet.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,865
    oooo i saw the one where the girl is bugging out to her stashed vehicle...she had a 40 lb pack to walk 12 miles....my first thought was that damned pack would be stashed with vehicle....move fast and light....water and pistol....and she was gonna shot her cats..damn that was cold

5. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,346
    I haven't watched this one, but I probably will check out an episode for laughs. The concept is not appealing to me any more than building a fall out shelter during the cold war appealed to me. While we do have a few days provisions on hand at any time--that is common sense especially in the winter--I just can't see stocking up a survival warehouse and holing up knowing my neighbors are beating on the door or sitting starving on my roof. I'll just take my chances with everybody else.

(And though it would tear my heart out, I could shoot our critters rather than watch them suffer or be kidnapped and butchered for food.)

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I prepped after the 2000 takeover. I was beginning to at the event known as the Patriot "Act"
    2004 was the gunshot starting the race.
    I'll return some day, if the radiation levels aren't too high.
    I really like Wyoming. Fantastic place.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    I am still in hiding from the Y2K world collapse

Waiting for it to be safe again

8. RoadVirus

RoadVirus <insert pithy title here>

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +583
    Yeah...i think the same thing. Of course, most of those guys are armed like a military squad, so mob them at your own risk.

9. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    How do these people afford to do all this? My guess is they run up a ton of debt in doing so, which ironically makes them a big part of the problem that in many cases they are preparing for.

10. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    I dont think these people give a shit about (the ones that are prepping for an economic meltdown particularly) debt. They aren't part of the problem, they are playing the same gaem the govt. is playing. So while not being a solution, if economically we go to the shitter, money is going to be worthless and credit will mean squat. Provisions, survival gear, renewable power sources, etc...these are the more important items.

The thing I find hard is the folks who are stockpiling massive amounts of food with short term expire dates. That is just wasteful. I'm more of the opinion to have a lot of long date foods, like MREs and look to move fast to a place not here at all. Everyone sees it different I suppose...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012