Doomsday flu

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
WASHINGTON — Top US scientists defended their bid to stop details of a mutant bird flu virus from being published and called for global cooperation to ward off an uncontrollable pandemic.

Meanwhile, scientists involved in the experiments said they are cooperating with government officials and the editors of the journals Science and Nature to pare down their research for publication in the coming weeks.

The controversy arose when two separate research teams -- one in the Netherlands and the other in the United States -- separately found ways to alter the H5N1 avian influenza so it could pass easily between mammals.

Until now, bird flu has been rare in humans, but particularly fatal in those who do get sick. H5N1 first infected humans in 1997 and has killed more than one in every two people that it infected, for a total of 350 deaths.

The concern is the virus could mutate and mimic past pandemic flu outbreaks such as the "Spanish flu" of 1918-1919 which killed 50 million people, and outbreaks in 1957 and 1968 that killed three million.

The recommendations from a non-governmental advisory panel that key details of the newly altered virus be withheld drew fire from some scientists who saw it as censorship of material that is essential for surveillance and the hunt for vaccines.

Some experts have pointed out that the data does not show whether the engineered virus is actually transmissible between humans, and a major risk is that the virus would emerge on its own in nature.

But the chair of the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity, Paul Keim, told AFP that even though the research has already been discussed by Dutch scientists at public forums, all 23 members voted unanimously to urge editors to withhold the data in case it fell into the wrong hands.

"We were very worried about the perception -- that the world would view this as the US holding back information that is important for basic research and public health," Keim told AFP.

"The US government is the one that paid for these experiments, so I think that it is the responsibility of the US government to step forward at this time. But it needs to be a global effort and we need a global consensus," he said.

"This is such a dangerous biological weapon, it would not be controllable. Whoever used it would doubtlessly decimate their own people as well," added Keim.

That scenario is not far-fetched, given the existence of radical elements throughout the world, from doomsday cults to suicide bombers, and even leading world governments, he said.

AFP: Controversial 'bird flu' edits move ahead

Uncle Ferd says dem terrorists gonna try to kill us all...
:eek:
H5N1 Flu Virus Could be 'Engineered' to Put Hundreds of Millions at Risk, Scientist Tells Homeland Security Committee
April 26, 2012 - If H5N1 bird flu, which has a 60-percent fatality rate, were engineered to spread like seasonal flu, hundreds of millions of lives would be at risk, a scientist told the Senate Homeland Security Committee on Thursday.
“What happens if a mammalian transmissible H5N1 flu starts to spread?" Thomas Inglesby, CEO and director of the Center for Biosecurity at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, asked rhetorically in his testimony. "Seasonal flu affects 10 to 20 percent of the world every year--as much as a billion people or more," said Inglesby. "The case fatality rate of wild H5N1 in the WHO database is nearly 60 percent, as you indicated. So if a strain of H5N1 with that fatality rate were engineered to spread like seasonal flu, hundreds of millions of people’s lives would be at risk. Even a strain a hundred times less fatal would place at risk millions of people’s lives."

The National Institute of Health released its policy last month on dual-use research, which is designed to implement recommendations made in a 2003 National Academy of Sciences report titled, “Biotechnology Research in an Age of Terrorism.” Concern has grown recently over advances in the field of biotechnology, in which scientists have created synthetic viruses in laboratories. Inglesby said mistakes can be made in laboratories, like the one in 1977 when “H1N1 caused a mini-pandemic, probably from a lab escape.” “Nine years ago during SARS, there were at least three incidents in which researchers working in BL-3 or BL-4 labs in Singapore, Taiwan and China accidentally infected themselves with SARS,” Inglesby said. “We have to factor the possibility of human error, surprise and accidents into our calculations of the risk of this research,” he said.

During the hearing on biological security and dual-use research, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said Americans have the right to expect that their money, which funds scientific research intended for the “common good,” will not be used to facilitate terrorism. She said research done by the National Institutes of Health and conducted in Wisconsin and the Netherlands, which resulted in genetic changes to a strain of avian flu that allowed its airborne transmissibility, is expected to be published in two academic journals.

The National Science Advisory Board for National Security, a government advisory board, recommended in December that part of the information be withheld for security reasons, but it has since reversed that decision and advocated full publication of the research done in Wisconsin and a revised paper on the research performed in the Netherlands. The board’s decision and reversal “have been part of a larger debate within the scientific and national security communities, and there are important arguments being made on both sides,” Collins said. “When the American people pay for scientific research intended for the common good, they have a right to expect that their money will not be used to facilitate terrorism. These are not hypothetical threats,” Collins added. “Before he was killed, Anwar al-Awlaki reportedly sought poisons to attack the United States. Adding to these concerns, the new leader of al Qaeda has a medical background. Therefore, he may have an even greater interest in pursuing chemical and biological terrorism,” she said.

MORE

Canadian dies of bird flu...
:eek:
N America sees first H5N1 death
Fri, Jan 10, 2014 - DON’T PANIC: Though the case in Canada was the first incidence of H5N1 avian flu contagion and death in the region, officials said the risk of transmission is minimal
Canada on Wednesday announced the first H5N1 avian flu death in North America, after a patient who had just returned from China died from the virus. Canadian authorities said they were urgently contacting the passengers on the victim’s flights. The case was also the first known instance of someone in North America contracting the illness, Canadian Minister of Health Rona Ambrose told a press conference, stressing that it was an “isolated case.”

The victim, who had recently returned from a trip to Beijing and had been otherwise completely healthy, was from Alberta Province, officials said, adding they were withholding the person’s gender and other identifying details to protect the family’s privacy. “I am here to confirm North America’s first human case of H5N1, also known as avian flu,” Ambrose said, confirming that the patient died on Friday last week. “I want to reassure the public this is an isolated case and the risk of H5N1 to Canadians is very low. There is no evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission,” Ambrose added.

The virus is contracted directly from birds, mainly poultry. The illness it causes in people is severe and 60 percent of human cases are fatal. The victim began to feel ill while on a Dec. 27 flight to Alberta, developing a fever and headache, and was admitted to hospital on Jan. 1 when the symptoms worsened suddenly. The patient then began falling in and out of consciousness, and succumbed to the illness two days later. A federal microbiology laboratory in Winnipeg, Manitoba, identified the H5N1 virus overnight from a specimen that had been taken from the victim while they were still alive.

Doctors said the deceased had been travelling with two companions who are not sick, but will be kept under observation as a precaution for 10 days — double the usual time it takes for the virus to manifest. “The patient’s family is not showing any sign of illness. There is no evidence of human-to-human transmission on airplanes. All evidence indicates this is one isolated case in an individual who is infected following exposure in China, although we don’t know at this time how the individual contracted the virus,” Alberta Chief Medical Officer James Talbot said. Talbot said that the victim had not traveled outside Beijing to other regions of China, nor visited a farm or a public market.

Canadian officials have notified China and the WHO about the case, but said they are at a loss to explain where or how the person contracted the illness. Beijing is believed to be free of the bird flu virus. Authorities have also secured passenger lists and were contacting others on the same flights as the victim to reassure them of the “extremely low” chance of contagion. The victim flew from Beijing to Vancouver on Air Canada flight 030 on Dec. 27, then went on to Edmonton, Alberta, aboard Air Canada flight 244. The person’s final destination was not revealed for privacy reasons, but he or she was treated at an Edmonton hospital. Other recent fatal cases have been reported in Indonesia and Cambodia, in November last year.

N America sees first H5N1 death - Taipei Times

Every upcoming flu season is depicted as the worst ever. But it's more about selling flu shots than anything else. A Spanish flu like outbreak is gonna wipe you out regardless so there isn't much point in worrying about it. :)

Be very very skeptical when the Country that used to be the greatest democracy on the globe suggests that Americans conform to "global restrictions" and give up still more basic freedoms "in order to ward off" some potential threat.

Be very very skeptical when the Country that used to be the greatest democracy on the globe suggests that Americans conform to "global restrictions" and give up still more basic freedoms "in order to ward off" some potential threat.

"Global injections"?

We saw in 1918 what a worldwide pandemic can do. There is no reason another one could not happen today. What kind of freedom are you giving up if the government urges you to get a preventive shot against a potential pandemic? We created the CDC just for this very kind of threat. The fact that you consider this some kind of conspiracy simply shows how far from sanity you truly are.

15 years ago, at the onset of winter, I thought to myself "hmmm I think I'll get a flu shot".
Never mind that I hadn't had the flu in 10 years. Maybe it was the novelty of it. More likely because they were offering free shots.

I got the flu.

Not had a shot since, not caught the flu since. *knocks on wood* :D

15 years ago, at the onset of winter, I thought to myself "hmmm I think I'll get a flu shot".
Never mind that I hadn't had the flu in 10 years. Maybe it was the novelty of it. More likely because they were offering free shots.

I got the flu.

Not had a shot since, not caught the flu since. *knocks on wood* :D

My parents made sure I had a flu shot every year of my life until I was maybe 23 or so. The next year I didn't get one because, honestly, I was just too lazy about it. I got the Flu for the first time since I was maybe 9 years old. It was awful.

But I haven't gotten a flu shot in any of the years since and I've been fine :dunno:

Forum List

Back