Dood shoots elk he thought was a deer. Fine - $5000 and more

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Elk are not just big deer. They are a different color and hard to confuse.

Last month in November, a Michigan hunter mistakenly shot an elk thinking it was a really big whitetail deer. Now, he’s facing some pretty hefty fines.

We spoke with Michigan DNR officer Lt. Gorno, who confirmed the incident, saying, “it happens every year, it’s foggy and hunters just get confused somehow, but it happens every year.” Lt. Gorno also confirmed the charges for such a mistake would be a $5000 fine plus a fee of $500 for every point on the elks rack. Talk about an expensive mistaken identity! The hunter brought the elk to the Atlanta, Michigan check station, where DNR officers told the hunter he had made a mistake.

MichiganElk-563x600.jpg

In Maine some years ago, hunters from Mass. shot a cow and actually took it to the official registry station as a deer. Needless to say, their mistake was expensive.

excuse me------is ELKS a protected species? does and elks behind look different from a deer's behind Is elk kosher?

there may be different seasons on deer and elk hunting.....you may not be able to get tags for elk yet...not sure....but yes elk and deer look different in the butts too

I'm not anti-hunting (I'm not a big hunter but go once in a blue moon)...however the rules are the rules and need to be followed. If you're not going to follow the rules, don't be a dumbass about it.

Last edited:
excuse me------is ELKS a protected species? does and elks behind look different from a deer's behind Is elk kosher?

I'm sure they look lots different to an elk or a deer, but I don't see much difference, not that I pay that much attention.

Forum List

Back