Donut question.

If a donut doesn't have a hole in it, is it really a donut?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I don't know anything about donuts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You have way too much time on your hands, Count Dracula.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
If a donut doesn't have a hole in it, is it really a donut? I don't think so. What say you?

What counts is the bread and the frosting.

For me, donut heaven is a maple bar with chocolate syrup stripes.

and because of the way the stuff cooks, there often is a hole in the center. the steam makes one that puffs it way up

What he said. It's the fried dough that matters - and jelly donuts certainly qualify.

:)

I know cuz for years, every Sunday after Mass, my folks took the siblings and I to a local donut shop as a reward for "being good". My youngest sister, as a tot, thought Sunday was Donnie Day - we still call it that when the family is together. I think I've tried every single type of donut made - at least the ones carried by the shop.

Oh yes, no hole qualifies, it is the dough that matters. Make mine an Apple Fritter, or apple critter as I call them. I might treat myself every 2-3 years to a donut, not much on sweets or pastrys or cakes.

Before there were doughnuts (original spelling) there were lumps of deep fried dough whose centers were soggy and inedible. Alternatively, if fried sufficiently long to cook the centers, the edges were burned.

Some very early genius learned to punch a hole in the middle so the cooking would be more even.

That left pieces that usually were re-rolled into new lumps of dough which had their centers punched out begetting more small lumps.

Then somebody got the idea of just frying the punch-outs, calling them "donut holes".

Then a man named Schwetty, probably in Pennsylvania, had the idea of rolling those smaller lumps, hot from the cauldron, in things like chopped nuts or cocoanut shreds. They were quickly called "Schwetty Balls" and became a sensation. Not so much for their taste as for their name.

I may have spelled "Schwetty" incorrectly but it's the pronunciation that counted.

Not a joke - but go ahead and search it out after making an ass of yourself. Then come back and apologize.

Forum List

Back