Don't Say "Support the Troops, Bring Them Home"

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://knoxnews.com/kns/perspectives/article/0,1406,KNS_2797_3946335,00.html

Oh yeah, he also won a bronze star: http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/002598.html

2. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

John F. Kennedy and Harry Truman highlight democratic presidents who'd served in wars. Not to mention Woodrow Wilson and FDR, who led this country, while the US were fighting LEGITIMATE Wars.

The reasons why these wars we're won was because the liberals and the conservatives BOTH saw a significant threat, thus chosing to set their differences aside and fight together. That's why John Kerry went to Vietnam, despite the fact that he didn't believe in the war.

When you have soldiers speaking out for or against a war, you end up creating divisions within the ranks, thus leading to potential confusion, which in turn, could lead to cowardice, treason or worst, "fragging". In layman's terms, such talk can potentially INCREASE soldier casualties.

It's one thing for you, Kathy, to proclaim yourself as a master of political talk, it's another to proclaim that you're the master of troop morale.

I am totally appaulled by his comments. Soldiers are held by the spirit of the UCMJ, concerning soldier behaviour, to do what they're told and to not speak out in support or criticism of the war they're fighting, while in active duty. If he's no longer serving, fine, it's his opinion; but if he's still on the roster, he needs to shut up and do what he is told! He's suppose to be A-political, act like it soldier!

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I don't think that is what the UMCJ says. One cannot criticise an officer, that is not what was going on. And what the are you talking about regarding everything else?

You don't want to let the soldiers speak? Why am I not surprised? Hurry, you have 2 weeks to save Brian (?) from Gabby. you two were made for each other.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Soldiers receive briefings on what they can and can't say, and whether or not they can discuss their opinions. I really have no idea why you don't think this soldier shouldn't be able to respond to the anti-war crowd's rhetoric.

5. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

As Saving Private Ryan is about to reach the ranks of the Ten Commandments, as a annual televised event, you had foregotten it's most significant moment; well as far as I'm concerned. The scene in which the troops were debating the cause of the mission.

If you had paid attention to detail, you'd found out that the captain had spoken out in a manner which suggested that this mission was bullshit, but he's determined to carry out his orders anyway. He'd used clever words to give his troops a hint, but refused to officially admit that this mission was bullshit; from there, he had all but told them to shut up and do what they're told.

I really wish everyone would take some form of legal class; if you did, you'll find out that when you "open the door" for your side, you automatically "open the door" for the their side.

When you give permission for a soldier to speak out for the war, you're also giving permission for a soldier to speak out against the war.

Do you really want that?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I don't know what legal class you attended but I can assure you that the military has the legl authority to censor negative comments made by the troops. What I find more interesting is the fact that the troops who have returned (many injured) and are no longer in the military, have not joined the chorus of the libs to "send our troops home". They are the ones who are free to say whatever the would like about our presence in Iraq and all I hear from them is in support of our mission.

7. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The military has the right to censor any communications from the field of battle. That was why the practice of "imbedding" media members with troops in battle was so utterly bogus. Is anyone going to criticize the people that are responsible for watching their backs?

The reason why you don't hear much negative comment is that the "liberal" media doesn't condone it. I think I have mentioned before the Orange County families who wanted to hold a news conference after their kids died in Iraq. When the media found out that they were going to criticize the Bush administration, they went home.

Joining the military means you follow orders. If you join the military, obviously you believe in what you are doing. This is the fallacy of taking people who are on reserve and throwing them into battle. This is the "back door draft" that is commonly referred to.

There are military and their families with criticisms. You just don't hear from too often. But to say anyone shouldn't want their loved ones home as soon as possible is absurd.

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Once again, the poster expresses an opinion based on their personal experience with the military...which is exactly NONE.

9. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've talk to many a military person. They are just not the ones selected to talk to the media. The ones that DON'T believe in what is going on in Iraq. Like the guy who shot his foot off so he could go home. Or the women who get pregnant so they can go home.
    You just THINK you know everything.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

a assinine and un informed comment that I have heard in a long time..first and foremost having grown up in the San Fernando Vallley...I am familiar with "Orange County"... for your info Gabby... it is a bastion of the GOP and extremely conservative...so to assume...as that is what you are doing...that residents would attack conservative values...is "Mickey Mouse" at best...assuming your first and only job was at "Disneyland"!!!!!!!