Don't *Mess* With Texas

The irony of your misspelled word in a post about education is priceless.
Yes. It's also interesting that he puts more planning, thought and preparation on where and when he shits than he does on whether to bother spelling 4th grade-level words correctly.

This is why his posts are shit too, because he uses about the same planning, thought and preparation in his ideas as he does on where/when to shit.

Some people, like me, have been typing for so long that we no longer type characters, but words. Our fingers have minds of their own.

Never made a typo or used an inaccurate homonym? My my, it must be so comforting to be so perfect.
Blame shifting and excuse making as usual.

If something is worth doing, it's worth at least TRYING to do well. This is lost on way too many people.

Sloppy writing indicates sloppy thinking.

"Gentlemen, we are in pursuit of perfection here. This pursuit will permeate everything we do. Not that we will ever attain perfection, because we ourselves aren't perfect therefore nothing is perfect, but in pursuing perfection, we will attain excellence."

Think about that, assuming you're actually capable of thought.

Not sure it matters to them whether the entire nation follows their textbook standards or not. It matters to them if Texas does.

The rest of the deal, the "nationwide effect" is nothing at all other than economics.

And you're fine with that effect? I'm not. No more than I was with the far left setting de facto nationwide standards regardless of the reason. Propaganda is propaganda and wrong is wrong. If anything, Texas having a greater nationwide impact - and knowing it - means they have a much higher standard of responsibility. California failed when it was their turn, it doesn't give Texas a pass to fail just as badly knowing what the result will be.
I am fine with the economy of bulk. What TX or CA do with that responsibility -- which neither ever asked for by the way -- is up to them.

If you really look at what was done here you'll agree much of it was needed. I think kids really should be taught about the founders and framers, and Einstein and Bell, Tesla and Edison, for examples.

The 'economy of bulk'?!?!

When it comes to educating the next generation?!?

What the FUCK?????

How about We, the Wealthiest Nation in history go ahead and pony up the extra buck and pay for the "Value of Options"?

Where are we going to head if all authors, save a chosen few, are silenced in the classroom because of cost?

And you're fine with that effect? I'm not. No more than I was with the far left setting de facto nationwide standards regardless of the reason. Propaganda is propaganda and wrong is wrong. If anything, Texas having a greater nationwide impact - and knowing it - means they have a much higher standard of responsibility. California failed when it was their turn, it doesn't give Texas a pass to fail just as badly knowing what the result will be.
I am fine with the economy of bulk. What TX or CA do with that responsibility -- which neither ever asked for by the way -- is up to them.

If you really look at what was done here you'll agree much of it was needed. I think kids really should be taught about the founders and framers, and Einstein and Bell, Tesla and Edison, for examples.

The 'economy of bulk'?!?!

When it comes to educating the next generation?!?

What the FUCK?????

How about We, the Wealthiest Nation in history go ahead and pony up the extra buck and pay for the "Value of Options"?

Where are we going to head if all authors, save a chosen few, are silenced in the classroom because of cost?
That's decided on the state level.

Like Texas has always done, never adopted the California standards. Paid extra for their own standards in textbooks.

If California wants to be able to afford custom textbooks, they should really consider fixing their bankrupt, woeful economy first.

Right?

You're mistakenly believing other states are FORCED to buy these bulk textbooks. They are not and never have been.

Years ago California was the lead state for modeling text books for the nation. I remember a 'backlash' movement that got started in the late 80s, early 90s over the omission of text in history books that CA deemed was not PC enough.
Looks like the nation had enough of the ultra liberals 'cooking the books' (so to speak) and decided to use TX. as the model. Now TX might be headed down the same road in the opposite direction.

Suggested reading: "Lies My Teacher Told Me." When I read that several years ago, I hooted with laughter because my American History textbooks all gave the implication that the USA never did a dastardly deed against any foreign country or entity; that America is pure as the driven snow. Textbooks still generally don't include such things as our assistance to the Shah's faction in Iran, deposing Mussadegh and returning the Shah to power in 1953, our repeated attempts to assassinate Fidel Castro or, going way back, the attempt to assassinate Pancho Villa. I suppose the rationale is that patriotism needs to start early, and any reference to our government as being anything other than agreeable and nice shouldn't be allowed to penetrate young minds.

The public at large has input on textbook standards, at all levels.

True.

And as soon as the state gives the money to the districts to purchase what ever books the district chooses, the parents will have influence instead of input.
Why should the state give them anything?

Here in Texas, school districts for the most part get their funds via property taxes from their area, not from the state or the feds.

Parents don't have influence? How silly. PARENTS made up this board. And make up all the school boards as well, and also all the state education boards.

Then how is it that one board will decide texts and curriculum for the entire state, as described in the opening post?

It's more driven by economics than anything else. CA is an economic disaster, therefore has lost the stroke in textbooks.

What I find fascinating is the conservatives who claim they want local control of schools and curriculum, but are all right with this decision potentially controlling textbooks used across the nation so long as the books reflect their own point of view. So much for the right wing being any diferent from the left. :rolleyes:

Exactly my point. now if we could only get 'politics' out of the non-civics text books. Ah yes, hope springs eternal!

They still teach Civics? What a shocker.

True.

And as soon as the state gives the money to the districts to purchase what ever books the district chooses, the parents will have influence instead of input.

Here in Texas, school districts for the most part get their funds via property taxes from their area, not from the state or the feds.

Parents don't have influence? How silly. PARENTS made up this board. And make up all the school boards as well, and also all the state education boards.

Then how is it that one board will decide texts and curriculum for the entire state, as described in the opening post?
One board for one state. It happens every year. It's decided by parents and citizens serving on that board, listening to the individual school boards and parent-teacher organizations on the local level.

The "economy of bulk" thing comes into play because Texas is now the largest purchaser of textbooks, therefore the ones with their standards will be cheaper than ones other states customize.

Nothing's changed, except for the fact that for the first time ever, Texas is the biggest textbook customer.

Years ago California was the lead state for modeling text books for the nation. I remember a 'backlash' movement that got started in the late 80s, early 90s over the omission of text in history books that CA deemed was not PC enough.
Looks like the nation had enough of the ultra liberals 'cooking the books' (so to speak) and decided to use TX. as the model. Now TX might be headed down the same road in the opposite direction.

Suggested reading: "Lies My Teacher Told Me." When I read that several years ago, I hooted with laughter because my American History textbooks all gave the implication that the USA never did a dastardly deed against any foreign country or entity; that America is pure as the driven snow. Textbooks still generally don't include such things as our assistance to the Shah's faction in Iran, deposing Mussadegh and returning the Shah to power in 1953, our repeated attempts to assassinate Fidel Castro or, going way back, the attempt to assassinate Pancho Villa. I suppose the rationale is that patriotism needs to start early, and any reference to our government as being anything other than agreeable and nice shouldn't be allowed to penetrate young minds.
Oddly enough, all of that was IN my history and civics books when I was in school.

Strange huh?

You're also either forgetting or not realizing, other states are not REQUIRED to adopt these standards. They can have textbooks any way they want. But custom orders do cost extra.

Example: Texas NEVER adopted the CA standards. Ever.

No, they are not required to adopt them any more than they were required to adopt California standards. But the problem is budgetary concerns will practically force them to. And yes, some of it needed to be done. Hip hop music in textbooks is as absurd as chest thumping nationalism in the form of indoctrination in "American exceptionalism", IMO. The problem is they're going too far in the opposite direction. Education needs a good ideological neutering, not a tilt to the opposite extreme.

What a great way to phrase just about everything that happens these day. :clap2:

Yes. It's also interesting that he puts more planning, thought and preparation on where and when he shits than he does on whether to bother spelling 4th grade-level words correctly.

This is why his posts are shit too, because he uses about the same planning, thought and preparation in his ideas as he does on where/when to shit.

Some people, like me, have been typing for so long that we no longer type characters, but words. Our fingers have minds of their own.

Never made a typo or used an inaccurate homonym? My my, it must be so comforting to be so perfect.

If something is worth doing, it's worth at least TRYING to do well. This is lost on way too many people.

"Gentlemen, we are in pursuit of perfection here. This pursuit will permeate everything we do. Not that we will ever attain perfection, because we ourselves aren't perfect therefore nothing is perfect, but in pursuing perfection, we will attain excellence."

Snarky personal insults aside, you're right. Spell-check is simply too easy to use to not use it. It is a little different for correctly spelled but wrongly used words - watching for that requires giving a shit.

The Mean Old USMB Software said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Midnight Marauder again.

Bummer!

:popcorn:

Snarky personal insults aside, you're right. Spell-check is simply too easy to use to not use it. It is a little different for correctly spelled but wrongly used words - watching for that requires giving a shit.
Key words right there.

When a fact is a fact, it's not a "doctrine."

See?

America IS exceptional, there's no way around that. There's no denying that. And it's not a political view. It's not nationalism per se. It's a fact.

Sometimes, it just is what it is.

Then you've pinpointed where we disagree. American exceptionalism as used in this context is a very specific doctrine of not just American uniqueness but American superiority
Again, not a doctrine, just facts.

We built a "more perfect union" exactly like the founders and framers intended. That is one of our founding principles.

It's NOT perfect, nothing is. But it is demonstrably BETTER and yes, SUPERIOR to any other union of mankind anywhere in the world. It IS exceptional.

That's not a "doctrine" and it's not nationalism, it's just the facts. Facts which would be excluded and never taught, were certain parties to get their way.

Which is the way textbooks have historically portrayed the United States, so I fail to see the problem.

Then you've pinpointed where we disagree. American exceptionalism as used in this context is a very specific doctrine of not just American uniqueness but American superiority
Again, not a doctrine, just facts.

We built a "more perfect union" exactly like the founders and framers intended. That is one of our founding principles.

It's NOT perfect, nothing is. But it is demonstrably BETTER and yes, SUPERIOR to any other union of mankind anywhere in the world. It IS exceptional.

That's not a "doctrine" and it's not nationalism, it's just the facts. Facts which would be excluded and never taught, were certain parties to get their way.

Which is the way textbooks have historically portrayed the United States, so I fail to see the problem.
I'm not the one who has the problem.

You mean like your misuse of the word "alliteration"?

You mean like your misuse of the word "alliteration"?
Exactly.

I was thinking sloppily about helping GT write rap lyrics, when in actuality that is one of the hardest things to do.

One board for one state. It happens every year. It's decided by parents and citizens serving on that board, listening to the individual school boards and parent-teacher organizations on the local level.

The "economy of bulk" thing comes into play because Texas is now the largest purchaser of textbooks, therefore the ones with their standards will be cheaper than ones other states customize.

Nothing's changed, except for the fact that for the first time ever, Texas is the biggest textbook customer.

So why shouldn't the parents of any given district in El Paso be able to buy text books and assign curriculum that they like, not even caring how the parents in Houston or Dallas are educating their young?

Does the school district in Marfa Texas really have equal representation on the Texas Board of Education as any of the school districts in Houston do?

Do they have the same concerns? Do they even have the exact same education goals? Should they?

So why shouldn't the parents of any given district in El Paso be able to buy text books and assign curriculum that they like, not even caring how the parents in Houston or Dallas are educating their young?

Does the school district in Marfa Texas really have equal representation on the Texas Board of Education as any of the school districts in Houston do?

Do they have the same concerns? Do they even have the exact same education goals? Should they?
You would have to look to the state legislature to get the law changed.

The legislature see, the representative body of the state that's elected by the folks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back