Don't kill dandelions

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
As you already know, bees are dependent on dandelions as a first food. I just took this photo. And, really good news is that wild bees moved in to our hive.
IMG_1318.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Waiting for the snow to melt, so I can go out and spray the yard, and get rid of those, and other unwanted plants

As you already know, bees are dependent on dandelions as a first food. I just took this photo. And, really good news is that wild bees moved in to our hive.
View attachment 117207

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

So let me get this straight, in order to get rid of dandelions all I have to do is kill bees?

Deal!
No, to get rid of the bees, kill the dandelions.

Now I am confused more than ever.

How about I just kill both?

Lefties just want us to be miserable.

They want us to grow our own food, but they don't want us to use anything but our own shit to fertilize it.
And they don't want us to kill pests.
And they don't want us to kill the weeds.

In other words, they want us to get ecoli and/or die of starvation.

Lefties just want us to be miserable.

They want us to grow our own food, but they don't want us to use anything but our own shit to fertilize it.
And they don't want us to kill pests.
And they don't want us to kill the weeds.

In other words, they want us to get ecoli and/or die of starvation.

Bees are not pests and dandelions aren't weeds.

Other than that, you're correct but you could have just said we want you to eat shit and die.

:rock:

Without bees, there would be no food unless you are just a straight meat eater.
I used to pull the dandelions from my lawn until I learned what Luddly just posted some years back. A bunch used to grow near the backyard willow tree and I always left them alone. They are pretty if in a group.

^ We grew tomatoes, squash, peppers, etc, all without bees.

You can also eat the dandelions and/or make them into wine.
NO interest in dandelion wine, no interest in using dandelions to supplement my diet.

Good weather gets here, they die

And I would expect nothing else from you.

Maybe you dig yours out but you don't seem that smart. Its pretty stupid that we drench our homes and the land around our home with poisons. I used to have a neighbor whose business was spraying for bugs. The whole family had cancer and I do mean the whole family. Amazingly, those who spray their yards and homes actually let their kids/pets play where they have poisoned.

Its also stupid that we grow ornamental stuff but not food, especially in view of the stupidity about migrant farm workers.

When I lived in Tucson, the water company actually came around once a month and sprayed poison into the water access at the street. WTF?

And the dumb people would pay to have their homes sprayed for spiders, roaches, scorpions, etc and of course, they still had them. Idiots.

Its like some people search for really stupid things to do to their lives and their families.

In any event, I'm looking forward to fresh honey from our hive.

Without bees, there would be no food unless you are just a straight meat eater.
I used to pull the dandelions from my lawn until I learned what Luddly just posted some years back. A bunch used to grow near the backyard willow tree and I always left them alone. They are pretty if in a group.

Thanks Gracie.

Even "straight meat eaters" are dependent on some of the plants that bees pollinate.

There are other pollinators but damn, why would we want to give up honey bees? And bees are better at it.

I've read that there are traveling bee keepers. They truck their bee hives from farm to farm, unload, let the bees do their thing for a while and then move on. Interesting but I remember very well that, when I was a kid, there were always blooming wild flowers covered with honey bees. Its a sad loss, very dangerous for future generations and I'll do whatever I can to put it off.

If it were just the dandelions, I'd dig them out.

It's not, and I'd rather not burn off the entire yard to get rid of all the problems and start over.

Which, of course, wouldn't work anyway, because the neighbor planted something decorative in his flower garden, and it's slowly taking over both our yards.

So I spray

Forum List

Back