Don't forget to 'Spring Forward' Sunday

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. There, I said it. I don't hate DST per say, just that they've moved it up two weeks early and two weeks late in the fall. I'm up by 5:30a.m. or so and it's just now getting light out by 6. Turn the clocks forward and it's darkness for another few weeks. I'd be ok if they just let mother nature be and not mess with the clocks at all.

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. There, I said it. I don't hate DST per say, just that they've moved it up two weeks early and two weeks late in the fall. I'm up by 5:30a.m. or so and it's just now getting light out by 6. Turn the clocks forward and it's darkness for another few weeks. I'd be ok if they just let mother nature be and not mess with the clocks at all.
you do realize, you get that sun on the other end of the day, right?

Yeah, but I hate to travel that far for it.

I want it on this side of the day, damn it!

Call me odd but I prefer the sun during the day, not at 8pm.

Sun setting at 5pm is too early, 9pm too late. I wish it would set at 7pm all year long and rise at 7am all year long. Not ever gonna happen though! :)

How long is daylight savings time in effect now?

On Sunday, March 7, at 2 a.m. daylight saving time goes into effect.

Daylight saving time continues until 2 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 1.

That's nearly 8 months of the year.

Given that, shouldn't we stop calling it daylight savings time, and just call it the time?

Therefore, I propose that we call that period of about 4 months in the winter

Nightdark wasting time, instead.

Those four months ought to be thought of as the fake time, instead of like we're psychologically doing now when we call this 8 months daylight savings time.

Now, we're on REAL TIME.

Yesterday we were on that fake time.

Last edited:
How long is daylight savings time in effect now?

On Sunday, March 7, at 2 a.m. daylight saving time goes into effect.

Daylight saving time continues until 2 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 1.

That's nearly 8 months of the year.

Given that, shouldn't we stop calling it daylight savings time, and just call it the time?

Therefore, I propose that we call that period of about 4 months in the winter

Nightdark wasting time, instead.

Those four months ought to be thought of as the fake time, instead of like we're psychologically doing now when we call this 8 months daylight savings time.

Now, we're on REAL TIME.

Yesterday we were on that fake time.

Uh...Ed, today's Saturday March 7th...you're on 'Sunday came too early' time. :lol:

Last edited:

Call me odd but I prefer the sun during the day, not at 8pm.

Sun setting at 5pm is too early, 9pm too late. I wish it would set at 7pm all year long and rise at 7am all year long. Not ever gonna happen though! :)

Move to the equator. Pretty close to that. Just learn to love sand or jungle.

Well my clock says 5:30, going to switch it to 6:30. Going to bed in 2 hours. Not saying asleep, but bed.

Please don't let me oversleep on Monday!

I think we change our clocks on the last Sunday of the month

Savings by springing ahead are not clear

Savings by springing ahead are not clear - MLive.com

Saturday, March 07, 2009

By Ingrid Jacques For the Citizen Patriot.

This Sunday, most of the nation will spring ahead one hour. Since 2007, daylight-saving time has started the second Sunday in March and lasted through the first Sunday in November.

So why does jumping an hour ahead matter? In 2005, Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, which included a provision to extend daylight-saving time by three weeks in the spring and one week in the fall. The idea was that later hours of daylight would promote energy conservation. Actual energy savings as a result of daylight-saving time remain unclear, however, and the policy may even contribute to additional energy usage -- the opposite effect it's supposed to have...<MORE>

Interesting that DST may not be resulting in the desired effect.

Last edited:
Savings by springing ahead are not clear

Savings by springing ahead are not clear - MLive.com

Saturday, March 07, 2009

By Ingrid Jacques For the Citizen Patriot.

This Sunday, most of the nation will spring ahead one hour. Since 2007, daylight-saving time has started the second Sunday in March and lasted through the first Sunday in November.

So why does jumping an hour ahead matter? In 2005, Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, which included a provision to extend daylight-saving time by three weeks in the spring and one week in the fall. The idea was that later hours of daylight would promote energy conservation. Actual energy savings as a result of daylight-saving time remain unclear, however, and the policy may even contribute to additional energy usage -- the opposite effect it's supposed to have...<MORE>

Interesting that DST may not be resulting in the desired effect.

I thought this when they extended the time change. I was just starting to not need lights in the morning; now I'm back in the dark for another 5 weeks or so. I'm not reaping any benefits saving on lights on the other end either. Moving the change earlier by 3 weeks in the spring is dumb. I always thought they should have pushed it back (later) two weeks in the spring.

Forum List

Back