"Don't even fucking start with me man"... well how rude!

There are court cases on record in which the police retrieved a murder weapon or whatever from a private dumpster and couldn't use it because they took it--private property--without a search warrant. So they wait until the trash truck dumps the refuse into the truck, but hasn't yet completed the mechanism that moves it into everybody else's trash. No dice. It still is not public property until it is added to the general trash of everybody else. (I hate the legal system sometimes.)

So technically, taking stuff out of a private trash receptacle or dumpster is theft or illegal appropriation of private property and is also an unlawful tresspass. And in truth, it would bother me if I found somebody going through our trash caddy on trash day. If the person is truly hungry they will be fed from my fridge or pantry. But otherwise, I really don't want people going through my trash.

And as for the guy stuck in the dumpster, if he had addressed me that way when help was offered, I would have immensely enjoyed watching the police extricate him.

And as for the guy stuck in the dumpster, if he had addressed me that way when help was offered, I would have immensely enjoyed watching the police extricate him.

We did.. we laughed our asses off. Sorta disappointing they didn't arrest him on general principle though.

To bad we didn't ask him how long he had been in there. I know it must have been awful.... :lmao:

I'm always happy when the trash pickers come around and take things we've put out at the curb for trash (tv's, and old chair, stuff like that). Any type of identifying item (bank statements, things of that nature) are shredddded to bits and pieces, bagged, tossed in with the icky trash.

In our old house we had to take our trash down to the dumpster. We would gather the trash and sit it by the front door then take it down on our way out. Unknown to me the hubs cleaned out my car (ok, that in and of itself just didn't happen, ever), put all the mix tapes he had made over the years (most of them were in the car) in grocery bags and ..... sat the bag by the front door when he came in.

Uh ... we no longer have those mix tapes. Hey, how was I suppose to know those bags weren't trash????

Oy.

Ah, the humorous moral dilemmas... got to love them at 6am in the morning!

To set the scene..... its cold and foggy out. The mist swirling in the still dark morning under the street lights.

Driving down the block..... out from a neighbors dumpster, is a hand with a small flashlight.

:wtf:

We drive around the block again to see.... if we did see what we had just seen. Yep, a hand with a light. We stop to investigate. :eusa_angel:

Its a dumpster diver stuck in our neighbors locking covered dumpster!! Some guy had slid back the lid just far enough to squeeze in.... but it would not move far enough back for him to get out.

We get out....and the guy is just pounding!

"what are you doing in the dumpster?" we ask.

From the depths comes comes a grumbled "I'm stuck"

"Is that your dumpster?" We inquire, knowing full well its not.

"Don't even fucking start with me man! Get me the fuck out of here!!!"

Oh my demands and a insult..... what should we do?? :badgrin: Should we let him out... or let him just him fester in the dumpster for a few more hours? Who knows.. could be anyone in there. Decisions, decisions.

"Tell ya what, we'll get you out. But we are going to call the cops and let THEM let you out."

"Fuck you man!"

Damn, you would think he would be a bit more grateful for the rescue, don't ya think?

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: We had a similar situation years ago, we let him fester for a while. He was a well known local burgler who was able to play the system so well he almost never got any major time in jail.

The public decided to get a little payback. After that he figured he had really worn out his welcome and he moved on. Later we found out he had escalated his criminal behavior and moved up to armed robbery. Eventually, he found someone who shot back and he didn't fare too well.

Ah, the humorous moral dilemmas... got to love them at 6am in the morning!

To set the scene..... its cold and foggy out. The mist swirling in the still dark morning under the street lights.

Driving down the block..... out from a neighbors dumpster, is a hand with a small flashlight.

:wtf:

We drive around the block again to see.... if we did see what we had just seen. Yep, a hand with a light. We stop to investigate. :eusa_angel:

Its a dumpster diver stuck in our neighbors locking covered dumpster!! Some guy had slid back the lid just far enough to squeeze in.... but it would not move far enough back for him to get out.

We get out....and the guy is just pounding!

"what are you doing in the dumpster?" we ask.

From the depths comes comes a grumbled "I'm stuck"

"Is that your dumpster?" We inquire, knowing full well its not.

"Don't even fucking start with me man! Get me the fuck out of here!!!"

Oh my demands and a insult..... what should we do?? :badgrin: Should we let him out... or let him just him fester in the dumpster for a few more hours? Who knows.. could be anyone in there. Decisions, decisions.

"Tell ya what, we'll get you out. But we are going to call the cops and let THEM let you out."

"Fuck you man!"

Damn, you would think he would be a bit more grateful for the rescue, don't ya think?

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: We had a similar situation years ago, we let him fester for a while. He was a well known local burgler who was able to play the system so well he almost never got any major time in jail.

The public decided to get a little payback. After that he figured he had really worn out his welcome and he moved on. Later we found out he had escalated his criminal behavior and moved up to armed robbery. Eventually, he found someone who shot back and he didn't fare too well.

tossing a skunk in with him would have been justice i think....... lol

According to her, Syrenn hadn't yet offered the guy help. Instead, she was quizzing him about what he was doing, how he'd got where he was, and did he own the dumpster?

I can't really blame him for being pissed off. The first human beings who learn of his plight tease him about it instead of offering to help? How f*ked is that?

-- Paravani

If it's a locking dumpster as syrenn said, it becomes the property of the waste hauling company. They make some pretty good coin recycling.

Ah, thanks for that info.

What about just regular trash (not locked) that people throw out?

We have trash pickers who ride through on trash night/morning taking things people are throwing out. We also have a 'can man' guy who rides his bike around and fishes out tin cans from people's unlocked recycling. He then takes it to the recycling center. Some are very upset by this because the recycling trucks pick up less recyclable material, but they get a flat fee regardless of how much stuff (if any) they pick up.

Not derailing the thread am just curious is all.

here it is against the law to pick though trash and take the recycling.... though it doesn't stop them from doing that.
0.o

That's an odd law.

There are dumpster divers here who troll for stuff to resell. *shrug* while I'd never want that job, I'd call that an honest living.

According to her, Syrenn hadn't yet offered the guy help. Instead, she was quizzing him about what he was doing, how he'd got where he was, and did he own the dumpster?

I can't really blame him for being pissed off. The first human beings who learn of his plight tease him about it instead of offering to help? How f*ked is that?

-- Paravani

Oh we knew what he was doing inside, and also knew it wasn't his dumpster. So his being locked inside of a dumpster was a hell of his own making..... he should be happy A) we stopped. B) we called the cops to pry him out.

Fucked up would have been leaving him in there and NOT calling the cops..... or maybe throwing in a skunk. We did offer help... the cops..... and he told us Fuck you.

:tongue:

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for that info.

What about just regular trash (not locked) that people throw out?

We have trash pickers who ride through on trash night/morning taking things people are throwing out. We also have a 'can man' guy who rides his bike around and fishes out tin cans from people's unlocked recycling. He then takes it to the recycling center. Some are very upset by this because the recycling trucks pick up less recyclable material, but they get a flat fee regardless of how much stuff (if any) they pick up.

Not derailing the thread am just curious is all.

here it is against the law to pick though trash and take the recycling.... though it doesn't stop them from doing that.
0.o

That's an odd law.

There are dumpster divers here who troll for stuff to resell. *shrug* while I'd never want that job, I'd call that an honest living.

the law i was talking about as specifically for garbage recycling ie cans and bottles.... not dumpsters.

We can rent two kinds of dumpsters..... uncovered and open... or ones with lids that close with a chain and padlock.

I would agree that uncovered ones are fair game..... but ones with covers and padlocks.... generally mean keep out.

Forum List

Back