Don't donate to Haiti

I don't recall the Haitians helping us out during hurricanes Katrina or Rita.

So, your actually saying that as a legitmate reason why we should not help them? How distasteful, Lonestar.

Take it however you see it. I simply made an accurate observation. What I don't get is in times like these we're all of a sudden a Christian nation but any other time Christians are condemned.

Personally I don't think the govt. should be sending any money, it should be up to the individual whether or not they want to donate funds. I think we should send in troops and Navy medical ships and do what we can without handing over millions of dollars to a corrupt nation.

So, your actually saying that as a legitmate reason why we should not help them? How distasteful, Lonestar.

Take it however you see it. I simply made an accurate observation. What I don't get is in times like these we're all of a sudden a Christian nation but any other time Christians are condemned.

Personally I don't think the govt. should be sending any money, it should be up to the individual whether or not they want to donate funds. I think we should send in troops and Navy medical ships and do what we can without handing over millions of dollars to a corrupt nation.
There doesn't seem to be much government at all in Haiti today, corrupt or otherwise.

I can't afford to donate to Haiti.

I have to write a check to the fucking IRS for over 28 grand.

And I know that money given to the US government will not be spent as it should so why would I believe that donations sent to the US government would end up where they should?

If you owe 28,000 to the IRS and cant afford to donate anything to this effort fire your accountant.

Why should I fire may accountant? He saved me almost 10 grand off that obscene tax bill.

But after I max out my retirement fund contributions for 2009 and pay the fucking IRS there won't be much left to give away.

And I know that money given to the US government will not be spent as it should so why would I believe that donations sent to the US government would end up where they should?

If you owe 28,000 to the IRS and cant afford to donate anything to this effort fire your accountant.

Why should I fire may accountant? He saved me almost 10 grand off that obscene tax bill.

But after I max out my retirement fund contributions for 2009 and pay the fucking IRS there won't be much left to give away.

If you owe that much that means you made a lot or somebody is screwing up your books.

gotta love that compassionate conservatism.

the average income in Haiti is just under $400 a year. how dare they not use all that disposable income to give money for New Orleans.

You do know that conservative are far more charitable than liberals. Tell me how much money have you donated to Haiti? Me? I sent the Red Cross 5 thousand dollars yesterday, money I was planning on giving to Rick Perry's campaign.

But here's the rub, I wouldn't expect the Haitians or any other group of people to send money when they themselves are broke. But we're expected to send money when we're broke. Shall I remind you how deep in debt we are? And do you care? Perhaps not, and I believe that's one of the differences between conservatives and liberals. Liberals will spend the hell out of other peoples money and the money of our grandchildren without regret.

Since 1960 the U.S has spent a lot of money, about $5 billion which has basically been an abject failure. So why should we, as a nation, keep handing over money to a country that has been unable to run itself.

Camels pass through the eyes of needles.

If you have that high a tax burden, you are blessed beyond what the average Haitian can dream of. Are your troubles greater than theirs?

Oh my, Rush should be CONDEMMENED, condemned I tell ya..for speaking his mind about the Obama..:lol:

But I suppose those speaking out about how President Bush hated black people for his help in Katrina were speaking truth to power, or something..

Did you intentionally equate Rush Limbaugh with whoever said Bush hates black people? So he belongs in the same category?

btw, Rush said this:

LIMBAUGH: Would you trust the money's gonna go to Haiti?

CALLER: No.

LIMBAUGH: But would you trust that your name is gonna end up on the mailing list for the Obama people to start asking you for campaign donations for him and other causes?

CALLER: Absolutely.

LIMBAUGH: Absolutely right.

CALLER: That's the point.

LIMBAUGH: Besides, we've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax.
Yeah, ending up on a mailing list. Now that would be a disaster.

Rush thinks that if you click through the whitehouse.gov site to the Red Cross sites and donate you're going to end up on an Obama mailing list.

That, my friends, is idiocy.

Ahhhhhhhh. That's your criteria. I see.

Criteria for what? I merely made an accurate observation.

You haven't proven that your observation is accurate.

Independent thinkers and those that use logic and reason don't need proof to know that the statement I made was accurate. To prove my statement incorrect or false you need to find some Haitians that DID donate to the causes I mentioned. Good luck with that.

There doesn't seem to be much government at all in Haiti today, corrupt or otherwise.

And your point is?

We aren't 'handing over millions of dollars to a corrupt nation', we are sending supplies and troops to protect and distribute. Haitians are incredibly poor people and need help. I don't think it's right to expect a desperately poor nation to help a weathy nation like ours in our time of need.

I'm a Christian, I don't need the government or anyone else to tell me what is the right thing to do. Nor do I expect anything other than criticizism in return... I don't care. I'll still help.

And your point is?
Hiding behind the flimsy excuse of Haitian corruption doesn't cut it. The crisis is real, the victims are human beings, and crying about politics seems clumsy at best, cheap and tawdry in the light of reality.

We aren't 'handing over millions of dollars to a corrupt nation', we are sending supplies and troops to protect and distribute. Haitians are incredibly poor people and need help. I don't think it's right to expect a desperately poor nation to help a weathy nation like ours in our time of need.

I'm a Christian, I don't need the government or anyone else to tell me what is the right thing to do. Nor do I expect anything other than criticizism in return... I don't care. I'll still help.

gotta spread some rep around before hitting you again!

You have no choice but to help. And yes Obama did pledge to send 100 million to Haiti.

Obama has announced an immediate relief of $ 100 million for Haiti. This is one of the greatest contributions in the same order as the World Bank, and as noted by the U.S. President, "is on the way one of the best efforts of our history."

Obama also announced the dispatch of troops to ensure security and assist in the rescue efforts. Overall, would total 3,500 troops along with 300 doctors and nurses.

Obama announces $ 100 million for Haiti - CNN iReport

Limbaugh said on his radio show yesterday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts.

nice spin

Yes, and he is stating that again this morning. It's Obama that wants to get rid of tax deductions for charitable donations.

Be careful who you donate to on this crisis. I agree they need help, but there are alot of cons out there who will try to take advantage of this disastor. I like the American Red Cross and you can specify that you want your money to go to this cirisis. Remember 9-11?? When donators found out that the Red Cross was stock-piling money from 9-11 to save for other disastors? They had to fix that, and they have.

Doctors without borders is another good one. Just be careful that it's a legitimate organization.

Last edited:

And your point is?
Hiding behind the flimsy excuse of Haitian corruption doesn't cut it. The crisis is real, the victims are human beings, and crying about politics seems clumsy at best, cheap and tawdry in the light of reality.

Seems you're the one hiding. Hiding from the fact that the US has sent billions of dollars to Haiti over the last 40 years just to feed a corrupt regime.

And your point is?

Seems you're the one hiding. Hiding from the fact that the US has sent billions of dollars to Haiti over the last 40 years just to feed a corrupt regime.

Yep, and that's why the Haitians still live in extreme poverty. That will be us if we don't demand that the corruption of the United States STOP, with our whoring senators selling their votes on this Health care reform disastor. We are next.

And your point is?

And the U.S. Taxpayers have sent, no been robbed, of $$ trillions $$ payable to the U.S.Government to distribute to the rest of the planet, while stuffing a lot of it in their pockets for lifetime benefits,while millions of DERSERVING poor HERE go without. Who in our government is WITHOUT CORRUPTION, please stand up. Oh pardon me, THEY, have legalized a lot of what would have called corruption, now it has many other "Politically Correct" benign names.

New Topics

Forum List

Back