Don't believe in God? Interesting reasons..

LuvRPgrl said:
I see it in my kids. SOme say kids are so innocent, yet my kids, like any kids, when they want something, they are not so innocent. In fact, the ONLY thing that stops them from commiting atrocious acts to get what they want is, well, that they are kids.

That is hilarious, and so true!

I'm an agnostic. Not because I don't want to live according to a strict set of God's rules. My rules are more strict than God's and I have only myself to blame when I break them. Many people like me think that religious people use God's will as a crutch to relieve themselves of the burden of responsibility for their beliefs. I know that's not always correct, and I know that's not entirely true, but it shows you that there is prejudice on both sides of the issue.

listopencil said:
That is hilarious, and so true!

I'm an agnostic. Not because I don't want to live according to a strict set of God's rules. My rules are more strict than God's and I have only myself to blame when I break them.
Many people like me think that religious people use God's will as a crutch to relieve themselves of the burden of responsibility
for their beliefs. I know that's not always correct, and I know that's not entirely true, but it shows you that there is prejudice on both sides of the issue.

Really? I thought believers were protecting their immortal soul from eternal damnation.

dmp said:
I saw this on another forum - I think the guy nailed it:

I might agree with him if I didn't hold myself to a higher moral standard than 95% of the Christians I know. In fact based on actions I'm probably more of a Christian than most Christians are.

Sorry I don't buy the idea that people choose not to believe in God so they can do a bunch of bad stuff and not feel guilty. I can see how a religious person might come to that conclusion but it's certainly false.

Powerman said:
I might agree with him if I didn't hold myself to a higher moral standard than 95% of the Christians I know. In fact based on actions I'm probably more of a Christian than most Christians are.

Sorry I don't buy the idea that people choose not to believe in God so they can do a bunch of bad stuff and not feel guilty. I can see how a religious person might come to that conclusion but it's certainly false.

you must hang wif da day care christians

The ClayTaurus said:
Is that saying that all who choose not to believe in God are placating themselves, or that some are?
Since it said that choosing to not believe in God is often a way to placate personal guilt, I think he's only saying that's one reason, but not the only one. I agree, that probably is one reason.

Another poster said that he believes that most non-believers have already heard the believers' side of the story, and know in their hearts that God is real. Maybe, but I think the believers themselves are often part of the problem. You're supposed to be fishers of men, to live an exemplary life that reflects your belief that God is a loving and compassionate God. So when a non-believer sees believers walking around proclaiming a loving and compassionate God, and broadcasting an air of hatred, bigotry, judgementalism, even racism/classism, that non-beliver is going to think, "Wow, if you're supposed to reflect your God, then I want no part of him."

That's not to say that all or even most believers are like that, but the ones who are are visible enough and vocal enough that they give the impression of being more representative of your faith than they really are. And the remaining body of believers is often too reticent to step forward and show the real example. So a number of non-believers have believers to thank for their non-belief, if that makes sense.

Here's an interesting question, though -- can somebody choose to believe or not to believe in God? We can certainly go through the motions, repeat all the affirmations, but when you get right down to it, is our belief (belief in, or belief in not), that private experience where the belief in something or the belief in not something truly resonates in the heart and soul, actually a choice?

Nightwish said:
Here's an interesting question, though -- can somebody choose to believe or not to believe in God? We can certainly go through the motions, repeat all the affirmations, but when you get right down to it, is our belief (belief in, or belief in not), that private experience where the belief in something or the belief in not something truly resonates in the heart and soul, actually a choice?

in my opinion.....what a brilliant question.....as one that believes that all things are chosen by those that participate in life.....i can only give you a resounding yes....for i belive that everything in life that you experience are direct results of your choices.

manu1959 said:
in my opinion.....what a brilliant question.....as one that believes that all things are chosen by those that participate in life.....i can only give you a resounding yes....for i belive that everything in life that you experience are direct results of your choices.
I also believe that everything in life is the result of our choices, sometimes in the form of reward, sometimes in the form of detriment. I'm just not quite decided whether belief is the choice, or the reward for choosing to open ourselves to the experiences that lead to it.

Nightwish said:
I also believe that everything in life is the result of our choices, sometimes in the form of reward, sometimes in the form of detriment. I'm just not quite decided whether belief is the choice, or the reward for choosing to open ourselves to the experiences that lead to it.

i belive the choices cause choices by others...if you like how others treat you then you mkae good choices if you do not like how you are being treated....change your choices......my new years resolution is to eliminate those that do not treat me as i would like to be treated

Nightwish said:

Wow. Great question. I can only say that I thought about my decision for years as I approached adulthood and found that I don't really believe in it. I lack faith. Never had it, never will.

listopencil said:
Wow. Great question. I can only say that I thought about my decision for years as I approached adulthood and found that I don't really believe in it. I lack faith. Never had it, never will.

get married...have them both die in childbirth...you may change your opinion....when they live

listopencil said:
I am married. I have four children, 21/19/10/8 years old. Near death experiences don't prove the existence of a Supreme Being.

did i say it did? all i said is, if you are about to lose two people you care about, and for a moment you believe you have lost them, then maybe you would consider that you do not have all the answers....

has you favortie grandfather shot himself in the head at 6?

your favourtite uncle stand up and brake both his legs from bone cancer at 16?

your favourite aunt die at 10?

your favourite great grandma die when you you were at you most vunerable at 17?

your dad at 18?

the grandama that raised you at 30?

your mum with cancer at 40?

you may have all the answeres but you have none of mine and for anyone to judge another..... they are simply not a kind person.....

so please...tell me...what should i think and what should i believe...because i am sure that you and all the rest of the pricks on this this board have all the answers yet they know none of the questions

manu1959 said:
did i say it did?

Bitter much? Do you think that you are the only person who has lost several loved ones under some really screwed up circumstances? I don't want to list all of the really messed up stuff I've been through in my life when it comes to this...I'll just say that I'm happy I have a son so that my family name will carry on without me and leave it at that.

If you have found religion and you have gained peace and strength from your faith, great. I'm honestly glad it worked for you. No sarcasm intended. It doesn't work for me. I have no faith and I refuse to live a lie. I can't live as if their is a God when I don't believe that there is one. I have too much self respect, and too much respect for the Christians that raised me, to fake it. Like I said-if it works for you, great. It doesn't work for me.

listopencil said:
Bitter much? Do you think that you are the only person who has lost several loved ones under some really screwed up circumstances? I don't want to list all of the really messed up stuff I've been through in my life when it comes to this...I'll just say that I'm happy I have a son so that my family name will carry on without me and leave it at that.

If you have found religion and you have gained peace and strength from your faith, great. I'm honestly glad it worked for you. No sarcasm intended. It doesn't work for me. I have no faith and I refuse to live a lie. I can't live as if their is a God when I don't believe that there is one. I have too much self respect, and too much respect for the Christians that raised me, to fake it. Like I said-if it works for you, great. It doesn't work for me.

damn dude....you don't get it....my life has been interesting but no more than most.....i belive what i belive as do you.... but, if you read what you posted... you are preaching to me....you assume since i have had loss i belive...but all i said was i was dealt a bad hand....

manu1959 said:
damn dude....you don't get it....my life has been interesting but no more than most.....i belive what i belive as do you.... but, if you read what you posted... you are preaching to me....you assume since i have had loss i belive...but all i said was i was dealt a bad hand....

If so, I apologise-then what did you mean by this:

"get married...have them both die in childbirth...you may change your opinion....when they live"

listopencil said:
If so, I apologise-then what did you mean by this:

"get married...have them both die in childbirth...you may change your opinion....when they live"

dude no worries i can not be offended...most people give up on me by now....you are exceptional......my point was when amazing things happen......humans make hard decissions.....i have been faced with many difficult moments....tell me...when did i belive? when did i lose faith? find it again? lose it agiain? and best yet did i ever have it? did i ever lose it? and best of all what differene does it make? if god knows....god will know.

how is that for zen?

Forum List

Back