Don't believe in God? Interesting reasons..

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I saw this on another forum - I think the guy nailed it:

Man is basically selfish and self serving. I beleive that choosing not to believe in God is quite often a way to placate one's concience when he wants to indulge in a lifestyle that he knows is not right - and that can be any type of life style that is self destructive, or wrong or abusive to one's self.

dmp said:
I saw this on another forum - I think the guy nailed it:
Is that saying that all who choose not to believe in God are placating themselves, or that some are?

The ClayTaurus said:
Is that saying that all who choose not to believe in God are placating themselves, or that some are?

I think that's what he's suggesting. It's easier to comes to terms with 'there is no God' than to come to terms with 'we are not perfect, but generally vile, sinful creatures'.

I think most "non-believers" have heard the believer's side.

Deep, down inside, they know there is a God. And they know they shouldn't be doing what they are doing, because God wouldn't approve.

So..instead of trying to justify what they do, they just say..."Well, there is no God so I don't have to worry."

I mean...who wants to admit they're wrong?

Ya mean when Bill and Hillary Clinton praise "Allah" they are saying there is no God but Allah? Just type in [Clinton,Islam,ACLU stole Christmas] in google a must read web site will appear!

archangel said:
Ya mean when Bill and Hillary Clinton praise "Allah" they are saying there is no God but Allah? Just type in [Clinton,Islam,ACLU stole Christmas] in google a must read web site will appear!
What does that have to do with this thread?

dmp said:
I think that's what he's suggesting. It's easier to comes to terms with 'there is no God' than to come to terms with 'we are not perfect, but generally vile, sinful creatures'.
So you are of the opinion that all atheists live their life without believing in God because of convenience?

The ClayTaurus said:
What does that have to do with this thread?

maybe because this is a religious thread and I just pointed out the hypocracy!
:eek2:

archangel said:
maybe because this is a religious thread and I just pointed out the hypocracy!
:eek2:
Nevermind. It looks like you posted it in nearly every thread you've posted in today. Carry on.

The ClayTaurus said:
Nevermind. It looks like you posted it in nearly every thread you've posted in today. Carry on.

just beating the drum of the 'New Crusade'...the ACLU and the DNC love to say the same things over and over...and continue to beat up on Christians...just a little pay back here! :huddle:

archangel said:
just beating the drum of the 'New Crusade'...the ACLU and the DNC love to say the same things over and over...and continue to beat up on Christians...just a little pay back here! :huddle:
Nice to see you approve of their tactics. Makes a lot of sense.

The ClayTaurus said:
Nice to see you approve of their tactics. Makes a lot of sense.

just given' em a dose of their own medicine...all the while exposing them for their religious intolerance!

The ClayTaurus said:
Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

whatever floats your boat...as long as ya get the message! :funnyface

Some say man is basically good, (liberals) and some say he is basically evil (conservatives.) I think its obvious we are inately both. I see it in my kids. SOme say kids are so innocent, yet my kids, like any kids, when they want something, they are not so innocent. In fact, the ONLY thing that stops them from commiting atrocious acts to get what they want is, well, that they are kids.

Take the radical Islamists for ex. they are basically full size kids.

There are many non believing people who live much more moral lives than many believers. Its not a good comparision though, because nobody starts out on the same footing. The best thing to look at regarding a true believer is there life, over a period of time, will become less self centered.

Man is a social animal, and to exist, we have to consider others. Many of our basic instincts however are contradictory to the survival of the group.

LuvRPgrl said:
Some say man is basically good, (liberals) and some say he is basically evil (conservatives.) I think its obvious we are inately both. I see it in my kids. SOme say kids are so innocent, yet my kids, like any kids, when they want something, they are not so innocent. In fact, the ONLY thing that stops them from commiting atrocious acts to get what they want is, well, that they are kids.

Take the radical Islamists for ex. they are basically full size kids.

There are many non believing people who live much more moral lives than many believers. Its not a good comparision though, because nobody starts out on the same footing. The best thing to look at regarding a true believer is there life, over a period of time, will become less self centered.

Man is a social animal, and to exist, we have to consider others. Many of our basic instincts however are contradictory to the survival of the group.
There was a quote that basically said what you're getting at. "If God didn't exist, it would be necessary for man to invent him." or something like that.

It's probably true.

Forum List

Back