Don't Ask, Don't Tell? Don't Care

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Daily Kos: Don't Ask, Don't Tell? Don't Care
A survey commissioned by Vet Voice Foundation has found that an overwhelming majority of veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars would be accepting of gays and lesbians serving openly in the armed forces. The phone survey of 510 veterans was conducted Feb. 8-23 by Lake Research Partners and American Viewpoint, Inc. Although there were differences between younger and older veterans of the two wars, these were not large. Findings:

• 73% of all surveyed veterans said such open service would be acceptable, including 42% who said it would be acceptable without reservations and 31% who would find it acceptable even though they would not personally like it. Only 25% said they would find it unacceptable.

• 77% of veterans under age 35 said it would be personally acceptable, with 47% saying they would like to see the current "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy change, and 30% saying it would be acceptable but they do not like the idea.

• 70% veterans over age 35 would find it acceptable; only 26% would find it unacceptable.

• Of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans under age 35, 41% said they favor allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly and 35% oppose. Veterans over age 35 leaned toward opposing, with 31% in favor and 36% against.

• 60% of all veterans surveyed agreed that "being gay or lesbian has little bearing on a service member’s ability to perform their duties"; 29% disagreed.

[.....]
The pollsters sampled more self-identified Republicans (45%) than Democrats (20%).

A survey commissioned by Vet Voice Foundation has found that an overwhelming majority of veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars would be accepting of gays and lesbians serving openly in the armed forces. The phone survey of 510 veterans was conducted Feb. 8-23 by Lake Research Partners and American Viewpoint, Inc. Although there were differences between younger and older veterans of the two wars, these were not large. Findings:

• 73% of all surveyed veterans said such open service would be acceptable, including 42% who said it would be acceptable without reservations and 31% who would find it acceptable even though they would not personally like it. Only 25% said they would find it unacceptable.

• 77% of veterans under age 35 said it would be personally acceptable, with 47% saying they would like to see the current "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy change, and 30% saying it would be acceptable but they do not like the idea.

• 70% veterans over age 35 would find it acceptable; only 26% would find it unacceptable.

• Of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans under age 35, 41% said they favor allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly and 35% oppose. Veterans over age 35 leaned toward opposing, with 31% in favor and 36% against.

• 60% of all veterans surveyed agreed that "being gay or lesbian has little bearing on a service member’s ability to perform their duties"; 29% disagreed.

[.....]
The pollsters sampled more self-identified Republicans (45%) than Democrats (20%).

I donot recall being concerned about the guy in my fighting hole in Viet Nam wanting to giv me a blow job, I was more conerned if he had a spare mag.

[.....]

I donot recall being concerned about the guy in my fighting hole in Viet Nam wanting to giv me a blow job, I was more conerned if he had a spare mag.

Yep.
Only recall it being a topic of conversation during camp.
When you are fighting with your bros, all you care about is seeing them alive when it gets silent.

In the words of Louis Ramey... (paraphrased)

"I'm all for gays in the military. Let's get hundreds more, thousands more, MILLIONS more. My reasoning is quite simple. If i'm in a fox hole, fighting for my life, having someone else watching my ass... i want someone who thinks my ass is kinda cute. I want him fighting for more than just his country."

Forum List

Back