Don't allow Kerry to take Communion, Vatican chief tells US Catholic bishops

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
By Julian Coman in Washington

American Catholic bishops are trying to defy secret advice from Rome that Communion should not be given to John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate.

The advice is contained in an explosive memo - clearly directed at Sen Kerry - by Cardinal Ratzinger, the Pope's doctrinal advisor, who is head of the powerful Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - the institutional heir to the Inquisition.

John Kerry: four US bishops may refuse him communion
The memo was sent to the US Catholic Bishops' conference last month. With formidable clarity and force, it states that pro-abortion Catholic politicians should be warned by priests that they are not eligible for Communion. If the politician then "shows an obstinate persistence in grave sin", writes Cardinal Ratzinger, he or she should be turned away at the altar rail. Mr Kerry has consistently voted in favour of maintaining abortion rights during his 30-year senatorial career.

The tone and content of Cardinal Ratzinger's memo, which was leaked to an Italian magazine last week, leave little room for misunderstanding. Some passages appear to have been drafted specifically with Sen Kerry in mind.

"Regarding the grave sin of abortion or euthanasia," writes the Cardinal, "when a person's formal co-operation becomes manifest (understood, in the case of a Catholic politician, as his consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws), his pastor should meet with him, informing him that he is not to present himself for Holy Communion until he brings to an end the objective situation of sin, and warning him that he will otherwise be denied the Eucharist."

The judgements of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith are not binding on individual bishops, but Cardinal Ratzinger's views are believed to be identical to those of the Pope on the subject of abortion. "He is authentically representing the thoughts of the Holy Father," said a senior American Catholic commentator and frequent visitor to the Vatican.

Last month the Pope delighted White House election strategists by agreeing to meet President Bush in Rome after repeated overtures from Washington. A senior religious advisor to the White House told The Telegraph that there was "no doubt" that the Pope preferred President Bush to Sen Kerry, even though the Vatican was strongly against the war in Iraq and the senator is a practising Catholic.

"I have been in Rome with the Pope and the president," said Deal Hudson, one of the most prominent Catholic laymen in the US and the editor of the religious Crisis magazine. "I also represented the president in the 25th anniversary celebrations of John-Paul's papacy. The Pope and his inner circle prefer pro-life Bush to pro-choice Kerry."
Full Story

I guess his statement that he was personally opposed to abortion but supported it in the Senate doesn't sit well with his church. Actions speak louder than words.

I wonder how this will play out in the election. I am not Catholic,but definitely pro life. One would think that strict Catholics may follow the Pope's direction and not vote for Kerry.

I think it may undermine his image as a Catholic and a churchgoer in general with his own church not supporting him. This will be a concern for him especially in the South and throughout rural areas.

The whole race appears to be turning into secularism vs religion. Both sides appear to fear the other gaining the upper hand. The press will most likely use the extremist opinions of the religious side against the conservatives.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I'm sure glad that the church is being subtle about trying to control the political direction of this country.

Believe me Dk, I am well aware of the same, and we agree on this.

Actually, a cursory examination of past elections illustrates that religion oftentimes plays a very insignificant role in deciding presidential elections. Any state that may be influenced by the church's decision (meaning mostly the Rural South), is probably a state that was going to carry Bush anyway.

Originally posted by JohnRHS
Actually, a cursory examination of past elections illustrates that religion oftentimes plays a very insignificant role in deciding presidential elections. Any state that may be influenced by the church's decision (meaning mostly the Rural South), is probably a state that was going to carry Bush anyway.

I tend to agree. The magical number seems to be 2.73. If the economic growth during a president's first term is over 2.73%, the president is re-elected. It's held true in ever single election so far. Anybody know the economic growth over the past 4 years?

screw the vatican, anybody who allows that kind of sexual abuse to happen and still has yet to take real, honest steps to curb it or bring to justice the accused and justice for the abused is not worthy of any moral "codes" or "orders".

not to mention i have to listen to AIDS workers in africa who are pouring their hearts and souls into stopping the aids spread but are hindered by the vatican and its pope giving untrue, unsubstantiated statements about condoms not working and condoms being a sin. people are dying in the millions, children are orphaned in the millions, but the vatican can't tell the truth and instead sticks to their "laws". screw em...

if you're a bishop and you want to give kerry communion, fine.
if you don't, fine. but screw the hypocritical vatican.

Forum List

Back