Don't allow Kerry to take Communion, Vatican chief tells US Catholic bishops

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MtnBiker, Jul 11, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Full Story

I guess his statement that he was personally opposed to abortion but supported it in the Senate doesn't sit well with his church. Actions speak louder than words.

2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I wonder how this will play out in the election. I am not Catholic,but definitely pro life. One would think that strict Catholics may follow the Pope's direction and not vote for Kerry.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think it may undermine his image as a Catholic and a churchgoer in general with his own church not supporting him. This will be a concern for him especially in the South and throughout rural areas.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The whole race appears to be turning into secularism vs religion. Both sides appear to fear the other gaining the upper hand. The press will most likely use the extremist opinions of the religious side against the conservatives.

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm sure glad that the church is being subtle about trying to control the political direction of this country.

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me Dk, I am well aware of the same, and we agree on this.

7. JohnRHS

JohnRHS Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, a cursory examination of past elections illustrates that religion oftentimes plays a very insignificant role in deciding presidential elections. Any state that may be influenced by the church's decision (meaning mostly the Rural South), is probably a state that was going to carry Bush anyway.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I tend to agree. The magical number seems to be 2.73. If the economic growth during a president's first term is over 2.73%, the president is re-elected. It's held true in ever single election so far. Anybody know the economic growth over the past 4 years?

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    screw the vatican, anybody who allows that kind of sexual abuse to happen and still has yet to take real, honest steps to curb it or bring to justice the accused and justice for the abused is not worthy of any moral "codes" or "orders".

not to mention i have to listen to AIDS workers in africa who are pouring their hearts and souls into stopping the aids spread but are hindered by the vatican and its pope giving untrue, unsubstantiated statements about condoms not working and condoms being a sin. people are dying in the millions, children are orphaned in the millions, but the vatican can't tell the truth and instead sticks to their "laws". screw em...

if you're a bishop and you want to give kerry communion, fine.
    if you don't, fine. but screw the hypocritical vatican.