Donner's Pass, Lake Tahoe Vacation Pics...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
The parents came up from Phoenix to kill some time, retired folks do that, and I took a few days off work. So we did some road tripping around the area here. We first went to Truckee, California where Donner's Pass is. Where those people got stranded in the mountains in the winter and started EATING their dead. This first pic is Paw standing in front of this rock that was the north wall of the Murphy cabin.

0010_025-1.jpg

This next pic is Ma and me on the trail at Donner's Pass.

050620020240-1.jpg

This next pic is of Lake Tahoe, and no, I didn't over saturate the color. That's what it looks like. Lake Tahoe is the largest inland alpine lake in north America. It's 1,644 feet deep at it's deepest point, and the water is so clear that you can see 75 feet deep through it.

111_005-1.jpg

This is the road up above Incline Village on Lake Tahoe. Paw took this picture. I guess he wanted one of my truck... LOL!

050621125044-1.jpg

And this is an overlook of the lake at the same stop. Ma, Dad and me.

111_016-1.jpg

And this is looking right down over that same overlook down at Incline Village, Lake Tahoe. (Millionaires playground, big time.)

111_008-1.jpg

And this is Ma and me walking down to the snow. We we're up around 9,000 feet. She wanted to make a snow ball, so she did, and then threw it at me... LOL! That's the last time I'll follow my Ma to a snow bank!

050621010848-1.jpg

Wow PR, those are beautiful locales. Looks like you all had a nice time. Really your hair and beard look great!

Mr. P said:
I like the way you framed the pic of the lake Pal!

Thanks. I fancy myself an amateur photographer. Heavy on the amateur... :eek:

Mr. P said:
Did it feel odd being at the pass where those folks were trapped?

There was a military party come by the site about six months afterwards. The sight they found after all the snow was gone of dismembered human remains and bones so disturbed the commander, that he ordered all the cabins be burned. So there really isn't anything there except plaques indicating where cabins once were. In any case, yes, I at least, got an erie feeling being there. I've always been empathic, and I got the sense of terrible suffering and fright. There are those that say the place is haunted...

http://www.ghostweb.com/renoconf2003.html

Great pics, Pale!

I have a really morbid fascination with these sorts of things, I'd like to someday see these sites and also the campsite where Alfred Packer (the only person to ever be convicted of cannibalism in the US) ate his entire group. Don't ask why, same reason I'm interested in places that are supposedly haunted, I guess.

Forum List

Back