DONALD TRUMP at CPAC? Contender for President?

Donald Trump for President of the United States?

• No way in hell!!!

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • I'll need a lot more convincing.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I'm interested and watching.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Yes!!! Let's elect him.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Whatever one thinks of Donald Trump, he gave a speech at CPAC that got a lot of attention. He said some things that at least some of us are hungry to hear.

I don't know, but maybe the USA is ready for a leader like him?

What do you think? Do you want him to run? Are you interested? Or does the idea seem absurd or distasteful to you?

Here's the speech:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1b8yKxcAo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1b8yKxcAo[/ame]

Why do you think he would go for a trade war? Is there no merit in his opinion that we currently are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to trade policy?

It would be refreshing to have a capitalist in the white house for a change but Trump has too much baggage. It would be open season on him by the democrat dirty tricks squad with a high profile divorce or two or three and a stint as a hollywood klown on a scripted "reality show" that almost nobody watched. Democrats would be cherry picking video clips of him saying "you're fired" on the reality show and parading Ivana around.

He's dead on center- We have become the world's whipping post. Obama has made a mockery and laughing stock of this nation. I'm willing to listen and remain undecided on "The Donald." I also believe he's absolutely right on trade. Our trade deficit is SHAMEFUL. His was a great speech. At this juncture I would vote for a wart on the ass of a dingo before voting for DingleBarry.

LOL He's talking about DingleBarry and how no one even knows who the hell he is.. no record, no wars, no battles, not even his college mates know him or knew him.

I predict Trump could do at LEAST as well as Fred Thompson did in 2008.

Who gives a damn about what liberals think in regard to conservative candidates? Go worry about Bwarney getting re-elected and the foolish Dims losing more seats. LOL

LGS, I agree he hit on some themes a lot of us have been really hungering to hear. And I was interested in how quickly he hooked the CPAC crowd even after sort of dissing (in a friendly way) their #1 darling, Ron Paul. Not sure how the straw poll will turn out but I bet he gets votes.

Whitehall, I know about the baggage, but this is Trump. He's already been through the wringer and then some on negative publicity and he keeps climbing back to the top. His ex wives all seem to respect him and speak well of him. His kids obviously adore him. I think he might be one that could effectively give as good as he gets and might not be so vulnerable to the negatives. I don't know.

Oddball, I didn't hear any Smoot Hawley in the speech, but splain please.

Why do you think he would go for a trade war? Is there no merit in his opinion that we currently are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to trade policy?
There's some merit tot the argument. However, his "solutions" are straight out of Smoot-Hawley.

They'd need to get past congress first.

At any rate, I found Trump's delivery a refreshing change from the Empty-Suit-Behind-The-Choreographed-Teleprompter. His candid, honest delivery might appeal to enough voters to give his candidacy a chance despite the sniping that would occur (and which any other candidate should expect).

I don't think the subjects of the ridicule Trump would suffer would be his weaknesses: But, I believe he wouldn't personnaly weather criticism very well.

Last edited:
It would be refreshing to have a capitalist in the white house for a change but Trump has too much baggage. It would be open season on him by the democrat dirty tricks squad with a high profile divorce or two or three and a stint as a hollywood klown on a scripted "reality show" that almost nobody watched. Democrats would be cherry picking video clips of him saying "you're fired" on the reality show and parading Ivana around.

All anyone has to point out is the numerous times he's been in charge of a company that's had to file bankruptcy.

Whatever one thinks of Donald Trump, he gave a speech at CPAC that got a lot of attention. He said some things that at least some of us are hungry to hear.

What do you think? Do you want him to run? Are you interested? Or does the idea seem absurd or distasteful to you?

LOL! Donald Trump only cares about two things other than making money. One is the sound of his own voice. The other is the sound of others showering him with praise. That second reason is why he showed up at CPAC.

The irony (and pity of it all) is that Trump showed up there just to get his ego stroked, and he knew EXACTLY what to say to make it happen. And the CPAC crowd responded just like Pavlov's dogs to the sound of a bell.

I predict Trump could do at LEAST as well as Fred Thompson did in 2008.

Thompson's heart wasn't in it. That was obvious to a lot of us Thompson fans. PLUS, due to contract conflicts, he delayed even getting into the race until the early primaries were over and simply couldn't get enough momentum going to catch up.

If Donald Trump runs, I can't imagine that he won't put together a superb campaign. He'll have no money problems. And he knows exactly what buttons to push to get people on his side. If he runs, I think he will do better than Thompson.

I don't know yet where I come down on this, but I checked I'm interested and watching on the poll for this thread.

There is no merit to that opinion. The idea that the US - the largest, most diverse, most prosperous economy in the world - would sign an agreement that gets us the short end of a trade deal is ludicrous.

If we sign a trade agreement, it's because we're damn sure it will benefit us.

LOL! Donald Trump only cares about two things other than making money. One is the sound of his own voice. The other is the sound of others showering him with praise. That second reason is why he showed up at CPAC.

The irony (and pity of it all) is that Trump showed up there just to get his ego stroked, and he knew EXACTLY what to say to make it happen. And the CPAC crowd responded just like Pavlov's dogs to the sound of a bell.

Thank you. I am sure you are an expert psychoanalyst qualified to assess his motives. What do you know about Donald Trump to make you think he doesn't love his country? And is ego and ambition a bad thing? If so, why?

I have to unhappily agree: I don't think Trump could stand in front of a hostile, or even a critical audience.

There is no merit to that opinion. The idea that the US - the largest, most diverse, most prosperous economy in the world - would sign an agreement that gets us the short end of a trade deal is ludicrous.

If we sign a trade agreement, it's because we're damn sure it will benefit us.

Let me play devil's advocate here a bit.

If we sign a trade agreement, is it because we're damn sure it will benefit us? Or is it because somebody THOUGHT it MIGHT benefit us? Or is it just the best the negotiators were able to get? Or is it so the politicians could brag they did something even though they knew it wasn't as good as they tell us it is?

For instance, do you think NAFTA has been a really good deal for the USA? Do you favor expanding it?

Do you trust the politicians to always do what is right for us?

I have to unhappily agree: I don't think Trump could stand in front of a hostile, or even a critical audience.

If you watch that video though, he was getting a mostly hostile reception when he took on Ron Paul. But he didn't flinch. He moved right through that and soon had the entire audience applauding and cheering. You may be right as I have not seen him in front of a 'hostile' audience. But I wouldn't sell him short in the assumption that he couldn't handle it. He has certainly generated a lot of hostile press over his career and it just didn't seem to slow him down.

For instance, do you think NAFTA has been a really good deal for the USA? Do you favor expanding it?

Do you trust the politicians to always do what is right for us?

Sure.

Why Not?

motocanaglia_diavolo.gif

If you watch that video though, he was getting a mostly hostile reception when he took on Ron Paul. But he didn't flinch. He moved right through that and soon had the entire audience applauding and cheering. You may be right as I have not seen him in front of a 'hostile' audience. But I wouldn't sell him short in the assumption that he couldn't handle it. He has certainly generated a lot of hostile press over his career and it just didn't seem to slow him down.

He basically said Ron Paul wouldn't be as good a candidate as himself, and the crowd applauded him.

You could be right: He may be able to endure a hostile audience without his head vaporizing into a pink cloud.....either way I'd like to see it.:razz:

Forum List

Back