Dolphins players take a knee

NFL: Colin Kaepernick thanks Miami Dolphins duo for kneeling during anthem

Colin Kaepernick has thanked Miami Dolphins duo Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson after they kneeled during the US national anthem on Sunday.

It comes after Nike decided to use Kaepernick as the face of a new campaign.

Kaepernick was the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem to highlight racial injustice.

It seems to be impossible to discuss this protest in a rational way on this board.Clearly there are deep issues here that should be addressed but the reaction of the President and his attack dogs have made this impossible.

I dont know how representative the racist posters on the "race relations" forum are of America as a whole but it looks like the civil rights movement drove the racism underground and that hatred still exists.

Why cant the US leave the hatred in the past ?

Wolf!

While I myself identify as more of a sheep dog or a dark feathered murder of Crows--depending which side of the bed I get out of in the morning (hint: it's always the Right side), there's something to be praised in the snarl and snap of a good guard dog; just ask Cerberus and his old daddy, Typhon. Can't have random folks wandering into Hades, now can we?

See, guys like Kaepernick are wolves in pop culture clothing, and they're out to pick our young sheep from the heard by making them believe they want to leave its safety voluntarily. And that's bad mojo or juju or whatever; it's just no good, no how. Anti-patriotism is a virus, guys like Kaepernick are Typhoid Mary pirated copies. The NFL kneelers? Man, they're just tools whose dangerous naiveté has been weaponized for winning elections, and converting millions to the cult of anti-Americanism.
I don't see it as anti-patriotic to protest peacefully for change, or for righting a wrong that exists. That is how Kaepernick sees it.
Kneeling is not disrespectful in the least. Sitting and picking nose might be, or texting your gf during the anthem, but kneeling is not.

It is actually less American to call a protester "anti-American." We all want America to be the best it can be. There is actually plenty of room for the kind of fairness Kaepernick is protesting for. The economy would not falter and none of us would suffer if the American justice system would be more fair to African Americans. There's room for change without all this kicking, screaming and snarling.
There is no room in an ideologue's mind for any thought or action that conflicts with the ideal originated in the person's mind. Material conditions are irrelevant to the idealist. In the mind of Night Son, all must sacrifice themselves on the alter of Americanism or be branded anti American. Social conditions be damned.

Instead of responding to me in an adult way you show me someone else's post.

If this is about civil rights then why is remarking that skin color is no barrier to playing pro football a deflection?

Here's the thing. It sounds like you are claiming that because not everyone agrees with these football players taking a knee that they are full of hate. It is not hate to disagree with someone. Is that indeed what you are claiming? If you feel strongly about this, then you can explain it in your own words.
Well you asked for an example of hate and I gave you one from this forum. I pretty much delivered on that.

On your main point, I was not really referring to the reaction to the kneeling. That seems to be totally predictable and to be expected.

My point is that this deep seated hatred/racism in American society has led all the way to
the problems faced by the country today. Evidence of that can easily be found right here on this forum.

And so the reaction, BLM/NFL, is shouted down without any effort to examine the causes. When people protest about something it is generally because there is something.

Trump is too dumb to realise that and his supporters on here are even thicker than he is. You should be listening to these guys not demonising them.
You have a way of sweeping people together as a group based on a small sample. Your direct knowledge of the "deep seated hatred/racism" in a country in which you do not live is based on an anonymous online poster.

Thank you for your response.

I live in this country and am black. The standard racist retort or excuse of how what he says is based on a lone anonymous poster is not going to cut it. Tom is spot on.
I live in this country and am white. I do not to brand an entire group of people with the racist label based on the comments of one person.

"White insistence on Individualism in regards to racism in particular prevents crossracial understanding, denies the salience of race and racism in our lives, and serves to reinforce and maintain racist relations."

8 dynamics of Individualism as it pertains to racism:

Dynamic One: Denies the Significance of Race and the Advantages of Being White
Dynamic Two: Hides the Accumulation of Wealth over Generations
Dynamic Three: Denies Social and Historical Context
Dynamic Four: Prevents a Macro Analysis of the Institutional and Structural Dimensions of Social Life
Dynamic Five: Denies Collective Socialization and the Power of Dominant Culture (Media, Education, Religion, etc.) to Shape our Perspectives and Ideology
Dynamic Six: Functions as Neo-Colorblindness and Reproduces the Myth of Meritocracy
Dynamic Seven: Individualism, as Well as Universalism, is Only Culturally Available to the Dominant Group
Dynamic Eight: Makes Collective Action Difficult

"Given the ideology of Individualism, we see ourselves as different from one another and expect others to see us as different too. Not having a group consciousness, whites often respond defensively when associated with other whites, feeling unfairly generalized and “accused” of benefiting from racism (Picower, 2009).

Individualism prevents us from seeing ourselves as responsible for or accountable to other whites as members of a shared racial group who collectively profit from racism. Individualism allows whites to distance themselves from the actions of their racial group and demand to be granted the benefit of the doubt, as individuals, in all cases (DiAngelo, 2006a).

As individuals, we are not each other’s problems and we leave people of color in the position to challenge other white people. Challenging white people is much more difficult for people of color to do, for when people of color challenge whites they are often dismissed with a variety of accusations including: playing the race card, having a chip on their shoulder, seeing race in everything, or being oversensitive or angry (Applebaum, 2003; Bonilla-Silva, 2006)."

DiAngelo, Robin J, 'Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?": Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Antiracist Education
Uh huh. We know. All white people are bad. And you've got links to prove it!

Well you asked for an example of hate and I gave you one from this forum. I pretty much delivered on that.

On your main point, I was not really referring to the reaction to the kneeling. That seems to be totally predictable and to be expected.

My point is that this deep seated hatred/racism in American society has led all the way to
the problems faced by the country today. Evidence of that can easily be found right here on this forum.

And so the reaction, BLM/NFL, is shouted down without any effort to examine the causes. When people protest about something it is generally because there is something.

Trump is too dumb to realise that and his supporters on here are even thicker than he is. You should be listening to these guys not demonising them.
You have a way of sweeping people together as a group based on a small sample. Your direct knowledge of the "deep seated hatred/racism" in a country in which you do not live is based on an anonymous online poster.

I live in this country and am black. The standard racist retort or excuse of how what he says is based on a lone anonymous poster is not going to cut it. Tom is spot on.
I live in this country and am white. I do not to brand an entire group of people with the racist label based on the comments of one person.

"White insistence on Individualism in regards to racism in particular prevents crossracial understanding, denies the salience of race and racism in our lives, and serves to reinforce and maintain racist relations."

Dynamic Four: Prevents a Macro Analysis of the Institutional and Structural Dimensions of Social Life
Dynamic Five: Denies Collective Socialization and the Power of Dominant Culture (Media, Education, Religion, etc.) to Shape our Perspectives and Ideology
Dynamic Six: Functions as Neo-Colorblindness and Reproduces the Myth of Meritocracy
Dynamic Seven: Individualism, as Well as Universalism, is Only Culturally Available to the Dominant Group

"Given the ideology of Individualism, we see ourselves as different from one another and expect others to see us as different too. Not having a group consciousness, whites often respond defensively when associated with other whites, feeling unfairly generalized and “accused” of benefiting from racism (Picower, 2009).

Individualism prevents us from seeing ourselves as responsible for or accountable to other whites as members of a shared racial group who collectively profit from racism. Individualism allows whites to distance themselves from the actions of their racial group and demand to be granted the benefit of the doubt, as individuals, in all cases (DiAngelo, 2006a).

As individuals, we are not each other’s problems and we leave people of color in the position to challenge other white people. Challenging white people is much more difficult for people of color to do, for when people of color challenge whites they are often dismissed with a variety of accusations including: playing the race card, having a chip on their shoulder, seeing race in everything, or being oversensitive or angry (Applebaum, 2003; Bonilla-Silva, 2006)."

DiAngelo, Robin J, 'Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?": Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Antiracist Education

Since I have never said that, and the person cited is white, I'm going to let you stew in your own manufactured stupidity. Besides all you guys here do is tell us how terrible all blacks are. So stop crying.

Since I have never said that, and the person cited is white, I'm going to let you stew in your own manufactured stupidity. Besides all you guys here do is tell us how terrible all blacks are. So stop crying.
:auiqs.jpg:

Colin Kaepernick has thanked Miami Dolphins duo Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson after they kneeled during the US national anthem on Sunday.

Kaepernick was the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem to highlight racial injustice.

It seems to be impossible to discuss this protest in a rational way on this board.Clearly there are deep issues here that should be addressed but the reaction of the President and his attack dogs have made this impossible.

I dont know how representative the racist posters on the "race relations" forum are of America as a whole but it looks like the civil rights movement drove the racism underground and that hatred still exists.

Wolf!

While I myself identify as more of a sheep dog or a dark feathered murder of Crows--depending which side of the bed I get out of in the morning (hint: it's always the Right side), there's something to be praised in the snarl and snap of a good guard dog; just ask Cerberus and his old daddy, Typhon. Can't have random folks wandering into Hades, now can we?

See, guys like Kaepernick are wolves in pop culture clothing, and they're out to pick our young sheep from the heard by making them believe they want to leave its safety voluntarily. And that's bad mojo or juju or whatever; it's just no good, no how. Anti-patriotism is a virus, guys like Kaepernick are Typhoid Mary pirated copies. The NFL kneelers? Man, they're just tools whose dangerous naiveté has been weaponized for winning elections, and converting millions to the cult of anti-Americanism.
I don't see it as anti-patriotic to protest peacefully for change, or for righting a wrong that exists. That is how Kaepernick sees it.
Kneeling is not disrespectful in the least. Sitting and picking nose might be, or texting your gf during the anthem, but kneeling is not.

It is actually less American to call a protester "anti-American." We all want America to be the best it can be. There is actually plenty of room for the kind of fairness Kaepernick is protesting for. The economy would not falter and none of us would suffer if the American justice system would be more fair to African Americans. There's room for change without all this kicking, screaming and snarling.
There is no room in an ideologue's mind for any thought or action that conflicts with the ideal originated in the person's mind. Material conditions are irrelevant to the idealist. In the mind of Night Son, all must sacrifice themselves on the alter of Americanism or be branded anti American. Social conditions be damned.

In the mind of the rebel child, he or she must defy the parent at any cost to the natural or transcendental. Later in life, the child matures; the child's mind becomes the adult mind and cycles back to the wisdom of the Father in search of truth. Less is the need to fear, than to accept and know gratitude. One day, you will also know.

Wolf!

In the mind of the rebel child, he or she must defy the parent at any cost to the natural or transcendental. Later in life, the child matures; the child's mind becomes the adult mind and cycles back to the wisdom of the Father in search of truth. Less is the need to fear, than to accept and know gratitude. One day, you will also know.
You mistake resignation for maturity. It is ever the human condition that the body, including the mind, weakens as it ages. It becomes easy to fall back on a ready made ideology that is built up for the purpose of insulating people from the guilt of leaving the planet no better than they found it.

I assure you that, to my father's consternation, I have not fallen victim to the trap.

Racism is so prevalent in America that you have to wonder if we'll ever have a real born in America black as President or will we have to settle for the guy "born in Kenya"?

Wolf!

You mistake resignation for maturity. It is ever the human condition that the body, including the mind, weakens as it ages. It becomes easy to fall back on a ready made ideology that is built up for the purpose of insulating people from the guilt of leaving the planet no better than they found it.

I assure you that, to my father's consternation, I have not fallen victim to the trap.

And yet, you fall back on just as dusty an ideology; a philosophy writ down as a light bulb epiphany when composed and fresh yet lacking true illumination at birth; one now dimmed and stale. So age is the ultimate human entropy of mind and body? Perhaps near the very end. Until then aging seasons and weathers and strengthens and clarifies. Aching bones; growing pains.

They were the only two in the whole NFL who decided to kneel. I'd be glad to see all of them stop, tbh, not because I had anything against it, but because it riles up such anger and bullshit among those who don't like it.

It might be a good idea for the players who are politically active to promote their ideas in another way.
Thats just it. They are doing it specifically BECAUSE it makes people angry. They arent trying to bring attention to a cause because, they know there isnt a single person in the nation who isnt already aware of this nonsense. They are simply trolling because they enjoy making people angry.

Wolf!

And yet, you fall back on just as dusty an ideology; a philosophy writ down as a light bulb epiphany when composed and fresh yet lacking true illumination at birth; one now dimmed and stale. So age is the ultimate human entropy of mind and body? Perhaps near the very end. Until then aging seasons and weathers and strengthens and clarifies. Aching bones; growing pains.
Nonsense, the ideology that I subscribe to is one for the living, not content to rest on the laurels of the dead. It says that our social conditions are rooted in material conditions, not ghosts. It seeks to explain the world, while yours seeks to justify it. As a method of analyzing world historical events, Marxism is as relevant today as it was during Marx's lifetime.

It has always seemed to me that as they age people get set in their ways. They are less inclined to adaptation and new ways of thinking that are necessary to keep up with the times. Of course no two people are the same, it is just a general observation.

They were the only two in the whole NFL who decided to kneel. I'd be glad to see all of them stop, tbh, not because I had anything against it, but because it riles up such anger and bullshit among those who don't like it.

It might be a good idea for the players who are politically active to promote their ideas in another way.
Thats just it. They are doing it specifically BECAUSE it makes people angry. They arent trying to bring attention to a cause because, they know there isnt a single person in the nation who isnt already aware of this nonsense. They are simply trolling because they enjoy making people angry.
Which nonsense, your hurt feelings or racial injustice?

Im referring to the nonsense of "racial injustice". Im particularly referring to the fact that there isnt a single person in the US who isnt aware of these whining babies. Kneeling wasnt meant to bring attention, it was meant to piss people off. Guess what, IT WORKED! As a result, we smashed the NFL ratings by turning off our tvs, and we made Kap unemployable. Then when Nike hired him, their stock fell 4 billion dollars. Up to speed now?

Im referring to the nonsense of "racial injustice". Im particularly referring to the fact that there isnt a single person in the US who isnt aware of these whining babies. Kneeling wasnt meant to bring attention, it was meant to piss people off. Guess what, IT WORKED! As a result, we smashed the NFL ratings by turning off our tvs, and we made Kap unemployable. Then when Nike hired him, their stock fell 4 billion dollars. Up to speed now?
Racial injustice is real, why else would its exposure on the national stage anger you otherwise? The reaction to it has been hate filled. I can't imagine such a reaction to something irrelevant.

Racial injustice is real, why else would its exposure on the national stage anger you otherwise? The reaction to it has been hate filled. I can't imagine such a reaction to something irrelevant.
Some unpatriotic fools knelt on a field during the anthem. Nothing was exposed other than their ignorance.

Because their actions are expressions of Anti-Americanism injected into an American unity ritual.

You are correct that it is not irrelevant. The wide spread support for anti-Americanism is very important, and should be taken very seriously, by anyone who considers themselves an American.

Some unpatriotic fools knelt on a field during the anthem. Nothing was exposed other than their ignorance.
They exposed the underbelly of something long prevalent in this country. That alone merits recognition.

Because their actions are expressions of Anti-Americanism injected into an American unity ritual.

You are correct that it is not irrelevant. The wide spread support for anti-Americanism is very important, and should be taken very seriously, by anyone who considers themselves an American.
They exposed the underbelly of something long prevalent in this country. That alone merits recognition.
Youre saying that before they knelt, no one was aware that black people were ignorantly complaining about racial injustice?

Is it American to sit idly by while the police state takes aim at you? That's what this country was founded on?

Is it American to sit idly by while the police state takes aim at you? That's what this country was founded on?
That isnt happening, so your post isnt a very effective counter debate.

Youre saying that before they knelt, no one was aware that black people were ignorantly complaining about racial injustice?
No, I'm saying that before they started kneeling everyone was complacently ignoring the racial injustice. Many of you might still ignore the racial injustice but you are no more complacent, your emotions have been aroused and you have been exposed. Your only recourse to stopping the bad feelings, aside from confronting the injustice head on, is to silence the source of the hurtful feelings. Which you can do because social relations are conditioned by material relations.

Forum List

Back