Dolphins players take a knee

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Tommy Tainant, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,076
    How can these lads feel unity to people who they feel oppress them ?
    I have never stood for the union jack or sang god save the queen. I turn the volume down when it comes on the tv. I feel no affinity for it and it does not represent me. But I abide by the laws and I pay my taxes. That is all any of us has to do to be a part of any society.
    So you vilify these players for exercising their right to protest. You show no empathy and make no effort to understand what they are upset about. You really are the most sanctimonious,hypocritical trash I can imagine.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,905

The same way the vast majority of people in societies have though the vast majority of history.

And those societies that failed at that, were conquered by those that succeeded.

Then what binds you to your fellow citizens? Or motivates you to sacrifice for the common good, or work towards common goals?

What you are describing is what a society looks like, in it's late decline, when the very idea of loyalty to the society, is considered passe.

Future museums will have posts like yours to show how your culture died.

I AM NOT VILIFYING THEM FOR EXERCISING THEIR RIGHT TO PROTEST.

I AM VILIFYING THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.

And do you even consider it vilifying? YOu have no patriotism. Do you even consider it an insult to say that someone has no patriotism?

You have no patriotism. Hell, you turn it down when your anthem comes on the radio. That is more that just no patriotism, that is antipathy.

3. katsteve2012

katsteve2012 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Agreed. Quite a few veterans believe that the reason for their service was to allow the citizens of this country to be free to exercise their freedom. As long as it does not violate the law. And there is no law being broken.

If Kaepernick and other NFL players kneeling is offensive to the self righteous, judgemental lot of this country, their choice in exercising their own freedom should be obvious.

Don't watch the NFL.

After doing my own reading and even talking to some NFL players that I personally know, my own belief is that they are not anti American, they are peacefully protesting what is an injustice from their prospective. #45 publicly ranting "Fire the SOBS" is what is ignorant, divisive and un American.

Kaepernick has shown more patriotism and goodwill by quietly taking action to help other Americans who are in need than the vast majority of those who express outrage at him exercising his rights.

What Colin Kaepernick's Philanthropy Tells Us About His Vision for Social Change in America

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    It's ridiculous to assert that symbols create ties that bind. Symbols don't create anything, they are merely representations of things.

America has changed since the National Anthem and Flag were created. Therefore what they represent has changed, yet they as symbols remain the same.

If you want people to respect the symbol you first have to create the ties that bind. I know that is difficult for people who espouse individualism as an overarching ideology. You only raise the specter of society when you can wield it as a bludgeon to bash your opponents in the political arena. Other than that, in your mind, we are nothing but individuals competing for the spoils in an unfair world with no moral justification for creating an inclusive society.

Your flag represents a failing society, it doesn't deserve respect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. doesanyoneknowmyname

doesanyoneknowmyname Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77

I'll go along with FORCING PEOPLE at gunpoint to stand for our freedoms (see the irony?) when conservatives stop using the confederate flag as their flag of choice.......Why should I have more respect for the flag of our nation when they have NONE?

6. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,076
    I could never figure why Black G.I.s put their lives on the line for a country that kept them as second class citizens.

7. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,076
    I think that there is a certain class of people who live with a suppressed anger just waiting for an outlet.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Tommy Tainant

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,076
    You misunderstand me. I am Welsh not British. I have no loyalty to the English hierarchy.

9. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    Kaepernick should thank Trump.

Because of the Trump reaction, he has made millions of dollars with Nikey and could easily run for political office.

10. katsteve2012

katsteve2012 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    No doubt. It's easy to read between the lines of what they say, and see what it is that they are really disturbed about.