dolphins form elite societies and cliques, scientists find

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
well, I have to say, I am disappointed. I think we need greenpeace to institute a prgm. demanding those 1%'ers share their catch with the less fortunate.I mean dolphins may be cute , but who knew they were elitists?:doubt:

'Bullingdon Club' dolphins form elite societies and cliques, scientists find

Dolphins form cliques based on their skills, scientists have found, suggesting they could be the only non-human mammals to indulge in elite societies.

Wild bottlenose dolphins bond over their use of tools, with distinct cliques and classes forming over decades as a result of their skills, scientists have found.

The communities, which have been compared with societies such as the Bullingdon Club in humans, mean the aquatic animals share their knowledge only with those in their own circle, passing it down the family line.

The findings mean the traits of “inclusive inheritability” and culture are no longer considered exclusive to human beings.

Observing wild dolphins in Shark Bay, Australia, researchers from Georgetown University used hunting tools as a marker of dolphin societal habits.

Noticing some dolphins in the area used a sponge to protect their beaks while hunting, they attempted to discover why the practice had not spread.

more at-
'Bullingdon Club' dolphins form elite societies and cliques, scientists find - Telegraph

I'll have to find an amazing lecture on Ted that offers a means for testing the level of intelligience in a communication even when you don't know the language. It has to do with the statistical distribution of "the words" used in the communication. The distribution of various Dolphin phonemes and words fit that description of intelligient communication.

[[Thinking about making an app of that test so we can run USMB posts thru it.. LOL]]

I imagine it's rough on Mom and Dad when all Junior wants to do is play games with the sponges all day. I'd send him over to Uncle Flipper for some Vocational training, because he's never gonna be a leader in this pod.

Last edited:
I'll have to find an amazing lecture on Ted that offers a means for testing the level of intelligience in a communication even when you don't know the language. It has to do with the statistical distribution of "the words" used in the communication. The distribution of various Dolphin phonemes and words fit that description of intelligient communication.

[[Thinking about making an app of that test so we can run USMB posts thru it.. LOL]]

I imagine it's rough on Mom and Dad when all Junior wants to do is play games with the sponges all day. I'd send him over to Uncle Flipper for some Vocational training, because he's never gonna be a leader in this pod.

teach a dolphin to fish they eat for their lives, give them a fish and.........:doubt:

What gives the human the advantage is we can create and better our environment. What can dophines do? Maybe they do have better family groups, but they can't advance.

Nature did something new when it created human being. Gave us the ability to advance the world for our own uses. Dolphines maybe the top of the typical order of nature. Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
What gives the human the advantage is we can create and better our environment. What can dophines do? Maybe they do have better family groups, but they can't advance.

Nature did something new when it created human being. Gave us the ability to advance the world for our own uses. Dolphines maybe the top of the typical order of nature. Doesn't matter.

I'm having real doubts about US advancing anymore.. In fact -- we may meet the dolphins halfway in few hundred years.

There are many stories of dolphins fending off sharks for humans.

We have pictures of me and my daughter body-surfing with 2 dolphins. Didn't know they were there at the time, but the wife got the video. Less than six feet from each of us. Growing up in Florida, I seen them actually enjoy themselves -- something that is missing from most species on earth..

Forum List

Back