Dogs - surgical stop of bark?

261.jpg

Snooper the Pooper.

Last edited:
Ho hum, I was right, you're a nutcase. I wasn't evasive about anything, loon.

Quoting the AVMA makes me a nutcase? That's rich.

Here's some more insanity for you:

The Parson Russell Terrier is a cheerful, merry, devoted, and loving dog. Spirited and obedient, yet absolutely fearless. Careful and amusing, he enjoys games and playing with toys. Stable Parson's are friendly and generally kind to children. Children should be taught not to tease or hit the dog. They are intelligent, and if you let them take an inch, they can become willful and determined to take a mile. It is paramount that you are this dogs pack leader. He needs to be given rules to follow, and limitations as to what he is and is not allowed to do. Do not let this little dog fall into Small Dog Syndrome, where he believes he is pack leader to all humans. This is where varying degrees of behavior problems will arise, including, but not limited to guarding, snapping, separation anxiety, and obsessive barking. They are highly trainable, able to perform impressive tricks. They have been used on TV and in the movies. However, if you do not show authority towards the dog , they can be difficult to train. They need a firm, experienced trainer. Parsons who have been allowed to take over can be aggressive with other dogs. Some have killed or been killed in dog fights. Be sure to socialize the Parson. They have strong hunting instincts (stronger than your average terrier) and should not be trusted with other small animals. They like to chase and explore. Be careful not to let them off the lead unless they are very well-trained. Parson Russells like to bark and dig. They tend to get restless and destructive if not kept fruitfully occupied and well exercised. Parson Russells climb, which means they can climb over a fence, they also jump. A Parson that stands 12 inches high can easily jump five feet. JRTs are not the breed for a inexperienced dog owner. The owner needs to be as strong-willed as they are, or this little guy will take over. With the right owner the Parson can really excel, but is not recommended for those who do not understand what it means to be a dogs true pack leader. Parsons who are mentally stable, with all of their canine instincts met, will not display these negative behaviors. They are not traits of the Parson Russell, but rather human brought on behaviors, which are a result of inefficient leadership, along with a lack of mental and physical stimulation. They will thrive with a job to do. The Parson Russell Terrier must present a lively, active and alert appearance. It should impress with its fearless and happy disposition. It should be remembered that the Parson Russell is a working terrier and should retain these instincts. Nervousness, cowardice or over-aggressiveness should be discouraged and it should always appear confident.

Parson Russell Terrier Information and Pictures, Parson Russell Terriers
I'll go take my psycotropic meds now. :badgrin:

Please do.

Quoting doesn't make you a nutcase.

Going off the deep end does.

Psst...my dog is happy, I already said that.

She's also high maintenance. You couldn't handle her, I'm fairly certain. Your disposition is too unstable.

Please do.

Quoting doesn't make you a nutcase.

Going off the deep end does.

Psst...my dog is happy, I already said that.

She's also high maintenance. You couldn't handle her, I'm fairly certain. Your disposition is too unstable.

I'll try to stay in the shallow end for ya.

*Sigh* So much self-righteousness in this thread that I’m not sure I want to join the discussion. We have five cats, all of which were rescue cats. Now when I say rescue cats I don’t mean that we went to the local shelter and picked out the prettiest one; I mean all but one of these were kittens at two to three weeks old found in parking lots and bushes with no mother or any other visible means of support (my daughter is a cat lover; we just don’t let her go near parking lots or bushes anymore!). Each had to be fed from a bottle for the first two or three weeks we owned them. The fifth came when she found a pregnant cat (very young, surely less than one year) who had her litter in our house; we kept one of the three kittens and found good homes for the other two and the mother. All five of these cats are declawed, the last two by laser surgery (expensive, but more humane I’m told). I don’t feel the least bit guilty about trading their front claws for the privilege to live in our home; none of them would have survived their 4th week if we hadn’t intervened. I can tell you that it is very unlikely that I would have made the commitment to take on the responsibility of these pets if I was unable to declaw them; I would not be willing to have them destroy my house and furniture. With all the cats and dogs destroyed every year because they are unwanted, why in the world would you want to make it more difficult for them to coexist with people? What do you think happens to animals that can’t coexist? They are taken to the shelter (best case) or driven to a remote location and dropped off. At the shelter their chance of being adopted is minimal, especially those older than the kitten or puppy stage; at some point they are put down. Domestic animals left to fend for themselves don’t do any better. Are you seriously advocating making it more likely for an animal to be killed than some minor alteration that allows them to survive and live a good life? That doesn’t sound like the attitude of an animal lover to me.

Bingo.

I haven't debarked my dog, but I have considered it, just because her bark is so ear splitting, disruptive, and frequent.

But we handle it. I'm actually looking for different digs to accommodate my stupid dogs at this point. We live in a lovely house, in a nice neighborhood...but the dogs would be better served a little further out, so that's what we're looking for. It might take a while to find something, but we are looking.

Last night my daughter washed the back sliding glass door, and didn't lock it when she was done, so my saint opened the door and in a flash both dogs were out the door and down the street, stopping traffic, terrorizing elderly dog walkers.

I followed in my rig, and bless Mylo's heart she came right to me and got in...I let the big boy run...I held the leash out the window and he ran alongside the car to our house, lol, breezed him a little. I might do that every day, it's a lot more effective than me trying to wear him out on my own stumps. I keep meaning to teach him to run with me on the bike but I'm terrified he'll yank me over. In fact, I know he will.

Forum List

Back