Dogs - surgical stop of bark?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Si modo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    My neighbors adopted a beagle. It used to be a show dog. The original owners had elective surgery done on the adorable beagle's vocal cords to stop it from barking.

It still "barks" but it sounds like it hurts the poor little thing to try to bark - sounds like it has laryngitis.

I think that is beyond cruel. Makes me sad and mad at the same time.

And, I think any dog show that allows such a dog to continue competing is a shame to the dog-loving world. If the showing community immediately DQs any dog from competition, maybe fewer dogs would have their voices taken away by owners who are too inconvenienced to have a dog who acts like a dog.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    My neighbors have two dogs that bark at cars, clouds, leaves and everything else. I talked to them about it but the guys response was typical of most dog lovers:

"That's just what dogs do!"

I just received my electronic Bark Stopper last week and put in close to where he keeps his dogs most of the time.

They hardly made a peep yesterday!

Neighbors are upset though; "What the f*ck is that?" Oh it's a bark stopper! "Well that's f*cked up!"

Well, that's what Humans do! :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    So, you are in favor of such surgery?

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I agree.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    It's up to the owner to decide. You can spay or neuter your pets, I don't see much difference in surgery for barking.

I was talking to my Mother last night and she said that when she was young the common method of animal control was putting newborn kittens or puppies in bags and throwing them in the river. That was the only method at the time.

Now we have inexpensive surgeries to make our pets more of an enjoyment to us and less of an annoyance to the neighborhood, and think that's a good thing.

6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    I have always had my cats declawed. Declawing cats is quickly becoming illegal in most cities now. Some vets won't do it as a matter of principle.

There are some dogs that are chronic barkers. Nothing will stop them, rather than remove the dog from the home a simple surgery is a benefit.

I could not imagine not hearing my dog's voice. I love her barking. I know her happy bark from her concerned bark telling me there is someone at the door or passing by the window. Anyone who would remove my dog's voice will lose their own, it is as simple as that.

I used electronic bark control when I had the dog grooming shop. It did not work well. What did work very well for a dozen or so dogs that wanted to bark all day was classical music.

7. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    What fucking idiots. If you can't stand a dog barking the last thing you wanna buy is a fucking BEAGLE. That's very sad. Their stupidity has caused a domesticated animal to lose the ability to do the thing it loves best (in the case of a beagle for sure).

For the record, if you can't tell, I HATE beagles, so if I'm coming to their defense, its for just reason,

What's sad is that their are vets willing to perform this surgery.

8. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Awesome.

I'm glad to hear those things work. We have two dogs. If I ever have a neighbor that has trouble with them barking I'll do the neighborly thing and buy them one. Can you tell me what brand it is?

I love dogs but fully understand their barking can drive a man to insanity. I fully support methods like the above to stop them from barking and if your neighbor doesn't they just need to get realistic and move to the country. The way I understand, the dog will still be able to bark if, for instance, its owner is in danger or it feels threatened. It just kinda trains them that barking is bad. You might be able to even stop using it at some point.

9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    That's pretty fucked up. Conflicted birdwatcher?

Then again - a good percentage of the human race has no trouble cutting off part of a man's penis at birth

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    You don't want a dog that barks?

Don't get a dog.