Dogs - surgical stop of bark?

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
My neighbors adopted a beagle. It used to be a show dog. The original owners had elective surgery done on the adorable beagle's vocal cords to stop it from barking.

It still "barks" but it sounds like it hurts the poor little thing to try to bark - sounds like it has laryngitis.

I think that is beyond cruel. Makes me sad and mad at the same time.

And, I think any dog show that allows such a dog to continue competing is a shame to the dog-loving world. If the showing community immediately DQs any dog from competition, maybe fewer dogs would have their voices taken away by owners who are too inconvenienced to have a dog who acts like a dog.

My neighbors have two dogs that bark at cars, clouds, leaves and everything else. I talked to them about it but the guys response was typical of most dog lovers:

"That's just what dogs do!"

I just received my electronic Bark Stopper last week and put in close to where he keeps his dogs most of the time.

They hardly made a peep yesterday!

Neighbors are upset though; "What the f*ck is that?" Oh it's a bark stopper! "Well that's f*cked up!"

Well, that's what Humans do! :lol:

My neighbors have two dogs that bark at cars, clouds, leaves and everything else. I talked to them about it but the guys response was typical of most dog lovers:

I just received my electronic Bark Stopper last week and put in close to where he keeps his dogs most of the time.

Neighbors are upset though; "What the f*ck is that?" Oh it's a bark stopper! "Well that's f*cked up!"

So, you are in favor of such surgery?

My neighbors adopted a beagle. It used to be a show dog. The original owners had elective surgery done on the adorable beagle's vocal cords to stop it from barking.

It still "barks" but it sounds like it hurts the poor little thing to try to bark - sounds like it has laryngitis.

And, I think any dog show that allows such a dog to continue competing is a shame to the dog-loving world. If the showing community immediately DQs any dog from competition, maybe fewer dogs would have their voices taken away by owners who are too inconvenienced to have a dog who acts like a dog.

I agree.

So, you are in favor of such surgery?
It's up to the owner to decide. You can spay or neuter your pets, I don't see much difference in surgery for barking.

I was talking to my Mother last night and she said that when she was young the common method of animal control was putting newborn kittens or puppies in bags and throwing them in the river. That was the only method at the time.

Now we have inexpensive surgeries to make our pets more of an enjoyment to us and less of an annoyance to the neighborhood, and think that's a good thing.

I have always had my cats declawed. Declawing cats is quickly becoming illegal in most cities now. Some vets won't do it as a matter of principle.

There are some dogs that are chronic barkers. Nothing will stop them, rather than remove the dog from the home a simple surgery is a benefit.

I could not imagine not hearing my dog's voice. I love her barking. I know her happy bark from her concerned bark telling me there is someone at the door or passing by the window. Anyone who would remove my dog's voice will lose their own, it is as simple as that.

I used electronic bark control when I had the dog grooming shop. It did not work well. What did work very well for a dozen or so dogs that wanted to bark all day was classical music.

What fucking idiots. If you can't stand a dog barking the last thing you wanna buy is a fucking BEAGLE. That's very sad. Their stupidity has caused a domesticated animal to lose the ability to do the thing it loves best (in the case of a beagle for sure).

For the record, if you can't tell, I HATE beagles, so if I'm coming to their defense, its for just reason,

What's sad is that their are vets willing to perform this surgery.

Awesome.

I'm glad to hear those things work. We have two dogs. If I ever have a neighbor that has trouble with them barking I'll do the neighborly thing and buy them one. Can you tell me what brand it is?

I love dogs but fully understand their barking can drive a man to insanity. I fully support methods like the above to stop them from barking and if your neighbor doesn't they just need to get realistic and move to the country. The way I understand, the dog will still be able to bark if, for instance, its owner is in danger or it feels threatened. It just kinda trains them that barking is bad. You might be able to even stop using it at some point.

Just as cruel as declawing a cat.

Besides, of all dog breeds, Beagles have without a doubt the best bark.

Just as cruel as declawing a cat.

Besides, of all dog breeds, Beagles have without a doubt the best bark.
I'm partial to the Basset Hound's bark, but the Beagle is a close second.

And, yes, both breeds have active voices. But, that does not mean they cannot be trained to tone it down.

The previous owners of this dog, by having such a surgery for the animal, couldn't demonstrate any more clearly how inept they are at training a dog.

Last edited:
I'll go even further, any vet who would perform such a surgery should lose their license.
Until I met this dog, I did not know that folks actually could do this.

Here is a piece in the NY Times and an excerpt:

Critics of the debarking procedure say it is outdated and inhumane, one that destroys an animal’s central means of communication merely for the owner’s convenience. Many veterinarians refuse to do the surgery on ethical grounds. Those who do rarely advertise it.

New Jersey bans devocalization surgery except for medical or therapeutic reasons, as do Britain and other European countries. Similar legislation is pending in Massachusetts, while Ohio restricts the surgery to nonviolent dogs.

....​

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/nyregion/03debark.html?pagewanted=all

And, apparently from that article, it is pretty common in show dogs.

I might even write a letter to the AKC asking them to consider DQing any dog from show competitions who has had this done.

Really, they should NOT condone such a procedure. They should immediately stop enabling such a thing by a simple change to competition qualifications.

Such enabling should not be tolerated.

Yeah, and declawing a cat is just as bad, if not worse than debarking.

People, if you can't handle claws, you don't need a cat. You are mutiliating the animals for your own convenience. I find that disgusting.

Same with debarking.

Although, I have told one of my Dobermans, the feistiest one, that if she ever bites me I will have all her teeth pulled. Actually, I won't really do that, I just tell her that to try and scare her. It doesn't work. She's not afraid. But she doesn't bite me, either. Just growls. : )

If I didn't want a feisty dog I shouldn't have gotten a Doberman.

agreed...that sux..

Awesome.

I'm glad to hear those things work. We have two dogs. If I ever have a neighbor that has trouble with them barking I'll do the neighborly thing and buy them one. Can you tell me what brand it is?
I have this one:
Stop Dog Barking with the Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

It's set up about 20-25 feet from the cage where the dogs are usually kept. And now instead of the dogs climbing the cage walls when someone goes by they stay away from the chain link like it's electrified!

I'm gonna buy another different one that runs on 4 "D" cell batteries and set it up about 75 feet further down the fence from the first one.

I am amazed the dog show allowed it. Any "altering" in any way usually is a automatic disqualification.

The debarking has been around for a while..... some apartments require it as a term of rental if you have a dog.

I am amazed the dog show allowed it. Any "altering" in any way usually is a automatic disqualification.

The debarking has been around for a while..... some apartments require it as a term of rental if you have a dog.
Did you quote the wrong post? :confused:

Forum List

Back