Dogs of the Quiet Variety

The dogs in my neighborhood bark to each other fairly frequently.

They are, I imagine, gossipping.

Their hearing is so good that I find my dog quietly barking while inside, to a dog in some neighbors house or backyard and getting obvious responses from the other dog (s).

I am convinced that dogs can have fairly complex discussions about whatever it is that dogs find of interest.

Here's a guide to 'quieter' dog types. Smaller dogs seem to bark more so than larger dogs, as a general rule.

Quiet Dog Breeds Barking Dogs Barkless Dogs, Non Barking Dogs

Of course, rescued is the best kind of breed to get! Our new little guy didn't bark at all the first few weeks . . . yeah, he got over that. Both dogs will bark and/or yip at dogs walking by when they are inside or at the UPS guy or something. Penny (the white one) doesn't bark at much else. On walks the only thing she'll bark/growl at is another dog that she doesn't like. Dio? Whole 'nuther ball of wax. He seems to bark at lots of things. Trucks driving by . . he actually pulls/lunges at them; other dogs barking, kids riding by on bikes, other dogs. I'm pretty sure that except for the barking at other dogs the rest of it is out of uncertainty/fear. It's ridiculous though so we're going to try training him with a distraction/cause/effect method. Yup, the old squirt with a water bottle at un-necessary/unwanted barking.

Do some research and when you're ready check out the local shelter for a month or two.

I absolutely always do rescue dogs. I would prefer a 5-8 year-old dog, since they are already trained. I would likely only get one, since we found that two would egg each other on in the noise department. One could be catatonic, and the other would start yipping like Dino, from the Flintstones. The sleeping one would start barking, and she wouldn't even know why. It was just time to join the chorus.

I'll likely go through Petfinder.com.

Just because a dog is older doesn't mean it's well-trained! Depends on who owned it!

Whenever I move, I hope to have a dog again. HOWEVER: I work at home, in a remote call center. This means I can't have a noisy yapper sounding off at any given moment when I get my own place.

Where I am now has three cats, and I can see being a cat person again, but I <3 dogs. Any recommends for reasonably quiet breeds that don't need a literal shit-ton of exercise? (Not that I couldn't use it myself.)

This one barks very little, and normally under his breath. I spilled coffie on him this morning so he has more spots then normal.

Attachments

• $IMG_20110923_181215.jpg
    $IMG_20110923_181215.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 60
  • $IMG_20110923_181131.jpg
    $IMG_20110923_181131.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
What a cutie! Thanks for the share. :) What breed is he?

Some type of combination of Pit Bull and common street mutt. He wandered up a few days ago. His owner is moving and dont want him. We liked him, he liked us so we are keeping him. He is quiet, and very sneaky. He is very acrobatic to. What ever you get, be sure to hit the rescue outfits. They are hurting in this economy, and you have a great chance of getting a house broken dog with good manners and health. here are some more pics of him.

Attachments

• $IMG_20110923_180652.jpg
    $IMG_20110923_180652.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 61
  • $IMG_20110923_180843.jpg
    $IMG_20110923_180843.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 70
  • $IMG_20110923_180851.jpg
    $IMG_20110923_180851.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Here's a guide to 'quieter' dog types. Smaller dogs seem to bark more so than larger dogs, as a general rule.

Quiet Dog Breeds Barking Dogs Barkless Dogs, Non Barking Dogs

Of course, rescued is the best kind of breed to get! Our new little guy didn't bark at all the first few weeks . . . yeah, he got over that. Both dogs will bark and/or yip at dogs walking by when they are inside or at the UPS guy or something. Penny (the white one) doesn't bark at much else. On walks the only thing she'll bark/growl at is another dog that she doesn't like. Dio? Whole 'nuther ball of wax. He seems to bark at lots of things. Trucks driving by . . he actually pulls/lunges at them; other dogs barking, kids riding by on bikes, other dogs. I'm pretty sure that except for the barking at other dogs the rest of it is out of uncertainty/fear. It's ridiculous though so we're going to try training him with a distraction/cause/effect method. Yup, the old squirt with a water bottle at un-necessary/unwanted barking.

Do some research and when you're ready check out the local shelter for a month or two.

I absolutely always do rescue dogs. I would prefer a 5-8 year-old dog, since they are already trained. I would likely only get one, since we found that two would egg each other on in the noise department. One could be catatonic, and the other would start yipping like Dino, from the Flintstones. The sleeping one would start barking, and she wouldn't even know why. It was just time to join the chorus.

I'll likely go through Petfinder.com.
English Mastiff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've owned one. Love the breed. Very quiet, loving, low exercise, but they do eat a lot some can slobber a bit. They don't bark unless there's trouble and generally one bark is enough to send most packing.

No matter what though, your house is well defended, they're good with cats often and other dogs and love attention. Their favorite place will be your couch in front of the TV.

Plus they're a great conversation starter at the dog park, and very obedient if you're firm and consistent

I have a Chinese Sharpei who rarely barks, and when she does it's a low-pitched, quiet bark. Shar Pei's also don't require a lot of exercise, but that doesn't mean no exercise!

Other than that, I don't really recommend the breed. Mine is a rescue, rescued her off the streets, I would never get this particular breed on purpose.

I have a Chinese Sharpei who rarely barks, and when she does it's a low-pitched, quiet bark. Shar Pei's also don't require a lot of exercise, but that doesn't mean no exercise!

Other than that, I don't really recommend the breed. Mine is a rescue, rescued her off the streets, I would never get this particular breed on purpose.
Although I really like Shar Peis, I do know a couple things on them on why I've never had one.

1. Dog/Cat aggressive.
2. One person dog, not a family dog
3. Skin problems unless you got them from China.

Otherwise, I'm right with you, plus their fur is darn near hypo-allergenic and do not shed much if at all and very loving towards the one person they latch on to.

Why would you not?

Well, unforunately for this Chinese Sharpei she is being compared to my two gorgeous Dobermans.

Compared to them she:

Stinks
Is dirty
Has scabby skin
Slobbers all over the place
Has problems with her ears getting clogged up with thick black wax I have to clean.
Scoots her butt on the floor. (vet says she probably just has an itchy butt, because Sharpeis do have skin problems)

She drinks from a water bowl and it is immediately fouled and needs to be changed. You can't touch her without getting some sort of bodily fluid on you, such as drool or eye gook.

She's weird, but of course I don't know what she went through before I rescued her. She acts like she was abused, ducks when you go to reach for her, that sort of thing. But I actually read that the breed is sometimes like that.

Anyway, I won't go on about her, poor little thing. On her good side, she absolutely adores me (unfortunately this means she follows me everywhere around the house, causing me to trip over her, and peers at me from around corners, causing me to go insane). She's really quite sweet.

All that said, I go out of my way to make her feel loved, make sure she gets her share of petting, etc. However, with her it's work. With the Dobies, and even the minpins, it's sooo easy to love them. : )

Although I really like Shar Peis, I do know a couple things on them on why I've never had one.

1. Dog/Cat aggressive.

Otherwise, I'm right with you, plus their fur is darn near hypo-allergenic and do not shed much if at all and very loving towards the one person they latch on to.

My Sharpei is not at all aggressive to my other pets. I brought her in off the street into a household with five cats and she has never bothered any of the cats. Oddly enough, they really seem to like her, although she is very aloof around them. But she never bothers them, even when they come up and start rubbing all over her. : ) When I first got her she did bite one of my Dobies, but I have to admit that the Dobie started it. Ahem.

I have read that they can have problems with other pets, though, unless raised from puppyhood with them. Obviously there are exceptions.

1. Dog/Cat aggressive.

My Sharpei is not at all aggressive to my other pets. I brought her in off the street into a household with five cats and she has never bothered any of the cats. Oddly enough, they really seem to like her, although she is very aloof around them. But she never bothers them, even when they come up and start rubbing all over her. : ) When I first got her she did bite one of my Dobies, but I have to admit that the Dobie started it. Ahem.

I have read that they can have problems with other pets, though, unless raised from puppyhood with them. Obviously there are exceptions.

The ones I have met would have more issues with strange people then strange animals. I dated a girl who had one and there was just no getting friendly with that dog.

Forum List

Back